Testing for 1_0_0rc

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mataku wrote:I've added 'fate of Atlantis' to my symbian scummv, and also copied saved games from my PC (saved with win32 1.0.0pre44536) so i can pick up where i left off, but when trying to load them on symbian version, i get INVALID VERSION. Any ideas?
One possibility would be that the symbian version doesn't support compressed savegames. You should be able to manually uncompress them by renaming, for instance, atlantis.s01 to atlantis.s01.gz. Something like WinZip then ought to be able to decompress that to atlantis.s01 again.

(Or it could be that the symbian version you're using really is older than the PC version, though I don't think the SCUMM savegame format has changed much lately.)
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I've uncompressed it and it's still INVALID VERSION. something MUST have changed. Also just installed latest symbian version, no difference.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mataku wrote:Also just installed latest symbian version, no difference.
Which version is that? From what I can see, the ScummVM development version and the 1.0 branch use the same savegame format (internal version number 80), while 0.13 uses an older (internal version number 77).

The upcoming 1.0 should be able to read savegames from 0.13, but not the other way around.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I'm posting in the 1.0.0rc testing thread, so which one do you think?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mataku wrote:I'm posting in the 1.0.0rc testing thread, so which one do you think?
Probably the 1.0 pre-release, but I have no way of knowing since I can't run the Symbian version myself.

When I look at an uncompressed random SCUMM savegame in a hex editor, this is what the first 16 bytes looked like:

Code: Select all

0000000: 5343 564d 0000 0000 4900 0000 5075 6c6c  SCVM....I...Pull
If the first four bytes do not form the letters "SCVM", it's an "Invalid savegame" (so I guess the compressed savegames you tried with first are ok in Symbian after all). The next four bytes seem to be unused, and the four bytes after that is the savegame internal version number, least significant byte first. (Though it looks like it also checks the value as most significant byte first, just to be sure. Some backwards compatibility hack, I guess.) In this case, it's 49 hexadecimal, or 73 decimal. That probably means I made it during the ScummVM 0.12 test phase.

"Invalid version" should mean that the internal version number is either smaller than 7 (I'm not sure why) or greater than the current version (which, as I said earlier, should be 80).

(There's also an "Unsupported version" error, but that only applies to the Humongous Entertainment games.)

So my only guesses would be that it's either some hitherto unknown bug in reading or writing savegames on some platforms, or that Symbian version you're running isn't the 1.0 pre-release after all.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

that was... a lot of technical stuff i don't get. :?
Would it help if I'll just upload a saved game that i saved with the symbian version and a saved game that i saved with the pc version and you can see what's what?

http://rapidshare.com/files/289703653/SymbianvsPC.rar

:!:

BTW, it's definitely 1.0.0rc, says so on the 'about' and everything...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mataku wrote:that was... a lot of technical stuff i don't get. :?
Mission accomplished! ;)
Well, both savegames are definitely compressed, which settles that question once and for all. This is what the beginning of the (uncompressed) files look like:

Code: Select all

SAVED WITH SYMBIAN VER atlantis.s16
0000000: 5343 564d 0000 0000 4f00 0000 5361 7665  SCVM....O...Save

SAVED WITH W32 VER atlantis.s16
0000000: 5343 564d 0000 0000 5000 0000 7961 6461  SCVM....P...yada
So the version field is different: 4f hexadecimal (79 decimal) with Symbian and 50 hexadecimal (80 decimal) with Windows. That change in version number happened back on August 21 (more recent than I would have guessed), so presumably the Symbian version is from before that.

(So I guess my original guesses should have included "or it's an earlier 1.0 pre-release", but I didn't think of that possibility.)
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

that explains it. the symbian version is dated to august 13 2009. I guess there were no updates since in that port.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Mataku wrote:Played Discworld 2. Game itself runs fine, but cutscenes are skipping and stuttering all over. I'm using Nokia 5800XM. Any ideas or it's just the way it is?
I bought a Nokia E52 yesterday that have a fast 600MHz ARM11 CPU. Together with a "slow" Class 2 MicroSDHC card, the cutscenes worked just fine for me. Didn't stutter at all like this video.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

so a faster CPU works faster. amazing discovery :p.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Mataku wrote:so a faster CPU works faster. amazing discovery :p.
Well, you speculated it had to do with the speed of the memory card, but that's obviously not the case.
bertiemay

ScummVM on Sony Ericsson Satio

Post by bertiemay »

Hi,

I just bought the new Sony Ericsson Satio which runs Symbian S60 5th Edition. I was very keen on attempting to run ScummVM.

Once I'd installed and figured out how to flip the screen to the right angle everything worked great, it really is a credit to all the guys that have put in development work.

One bug I found however, is that when attempting to run Discworld 1, the application crashes to the phone's main menu (all other games I've tried work fine including discworld 2). This crash did not occur when I tested previous versions of the software (0.14 I believe) so I don't know if this is just my phone not liking the new updates or the new code as a whole.

Anyway I'd just like to express my gratitude for bringing this software to Symbian it has made a good phone purchase into a fantastic one!
Karmillo

Post by Karmillo »

Shiranai wrote:I've got a problem on my 5800.
When I touch the grey rectangle the menu pops up. But when I close it and try to click something else, the menu keeps popping up again.
Was there ever a fix for this? I'm having this problem on the N97.
Is it possible to disable the virtual keyboard or make that box not visible? since the N97 has a keyboard.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Latest releases only display square when you tap the screen, also an overlay rectangle is done, so it wont interfer as much as the graysquare.
Karmillo

Post by Karmillo »

Thanks for the reply.

I Downloaded the latest version, at least I think I did. My problem is like that one but its the transparent rectangle, whenever I press it to type in the numbers for the start of MI2(since the keyboard numbers don't seem to work) and then try tapping anywhere it keeps toggling the menu bar on and off.

I can still click stuff in the game but since it shifts the screen size whenever the keyboard menu activates and deactivates its not really possible to play.