Broken Sword 1 and 2 original scenes directory structure

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

howl

Broken Sword 1 and 2 original scenes directory structure

Post by howl »

Now that 1.0.0-rc1 supports the original cutscenes I have doubts.

I have seen that scummvm loads the scenes from directory SMACKSHI or VIDEO. If the computer have less resources ScummVM try to load them from the SMACKSLO directory? If it's yes I suppose that the best is to have both SMACKSHI and LO with the HI and LO videos respectively. If it's no, and ScummVM only loads the SMASKSHI directory, what is better, to name it SMACKSHI or VIDEO?

Thanks.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

The name of the folder shouldn't matter. "SMACKSHI" is just one in a list of folders where the Broken Sword 1 engine looks for files, without caring what kind of files are in it. As far as I know, it has no idea that there is a set of lower-quality videos on the original disc, it just tries to load them by name, e.g. "intro.smk".
MarkCoolio

Post by MarkCoolio »

And you can for example also copy the smk-files (no matter if low or high quality) directly into the root folder where your other broken sword files are in.
howl

Post by howl »

Yes it's possible to load the low quality set of video by putting them in the VIDEO directory. The differences are 20 MiB less and the videos are scaled down, so doesn't fit the whole screen.

I will left both SMACKSLO and SMACKSHI in my scummvm prepared games, the original cd is breaking and it can be read (newspaper games collection, damn it xD), if scummvm in the future support the loading of the low quality set under certain conditions I will have them.

Thanks for your support.