Why are SOME nouns are RANDOMLY written in CAPITALS IN BOSS?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Attila_Iron

Why are SOME nouns are RANDOMLY written in CAPITALS IN BOSS?

Post by Attila_Iron »

I've tried the German version of BASS some time ago and just wanted to ask why some words are written in capital letters in the German BOSS version. To me the pronunciation of these words makes no sense. Is the English version behaving similar?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Yep, that was how the original game texts are. The words are capitalized for emphasis
Attila_Iron

Post by Attila_Iron »

Today it looks like screaming for me. Well, BASS was before the internet age. It is weird to read nowadays.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I assumed they were going for a comic-book look, where some words are printed larger for emphasize. A quick search on Wikipedia didn't turn up any really good examples. The best one I could find was this one.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

It's just old American comic book style. Read any comic or graphic novel published in the US from 1950-2000 and they will be loaded with those bolded words, often in positions that make no sense.

I'm not 100% sure but I think BASS was written to be kind of comic-bookish, and there was a fairly well known comic book artist who did the opening cutscene.
Truus999

Post by Truus999 »

That fairly well known comic book artist is Dave Gibbons creator of Watchmen
lovecrafthp

Post by lovecrafthp »

He was the artist and letterer on Watchmen, true. But the actual creator was Alan Moore, the writer.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Attila_Iron wrote:Today it looks like screaming for me. Well, BASS was before the internet age. It is weird to read nowadays.
Well, emphasis actually IS some kind of screaming. It HIGHLIGHTS words, just like an ACCENT MARK in musical scores.
So the words are capitalised for a purpose, NOT randomly.