Odd linux problem

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Queseuq

Odd linux problem

Post by Queseuq »

I've got an odd problem when trying to play games on my Linux powered netbook. I'll run through the steps I took to show you what I mean. First I used the Scummvm tools to compress all the files I could on my windows machine, then copied all the files I need to run the games onto a USB stick and put this in my netbook. When I used Scummvm to play the games off my USB stick they work fine BUT when I copy the files onto my netbook Broken Sword fails with an error message saying 8 important files are missing (a bunch of .clu files which are definitely there) and Full Throttle just crashes while other games run fine. I've got no idea what the problem is, if any more details are need just let me know. Windows is XP SP3, linux is Kuki Linux (based on Ubuntu 9.04) and ScummVM is 0.13.1.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

- It sounds to me as some of the files were mangled while you copied them over. Perhaps retry copying BS and FT.

- Compressing stuff with the ScummVM tools is purely optional, you can try without.

- If you start ScummVM from the console (type 'scummvm' in the commandline window), you will get some feedback on why ScummVM wont run FT.
Queseuq

Post by Queseuq »

- I have done and the errors still persist. It's also happened on all the other OS's I've tried on my netbook (all derived from Ubuntu). I thought it might be an error with the files on the USB stick but they all work fine and I've tried replaced them with the original files. Could it have something to do with the different file systems used? NFTS -> FAT32 -> ext2

- I compressed the files to free up space on my netbook. The files that scummvm thinks are missing aren't ones I compressed anyway.

- The error I get is

Code: Select all

User picked target 'ft' (gameid 'ft')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... SCUMM Engine [all games]
  Starting 'Full Throttle'
WARNING: Language file is forced to be ignored!
Cannot open file roadrash.rip!
so looks like it's a problem with one of the files as well.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Moving files between the NTFS, fat32 and Ext file system is can only be a problem if you use odd characters in the filenames (Ȇ, ǹ, ȋ, and the like). There can also be a problem if you start a filename with the minus sign (-) or a space ( ) or stuff like that.

This is NOT the case here as game makers are smart enough not to do this.
The only options I see is that you are doing something wrong while copying, or that the flash stick is broken or something of the kind.

I would try zipping everything in one file before copying it. If the copy process mangles the zip file you will notice because the archive will likely not unzip properly then.

---

Also, are you sure the games work on the XP machine in the first place?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

You're not maybe running out of space on the netbook whilst copying over are you?
I don't know if you'd get a warning.
Is there a reason it uses ext2? I thought all Linux OSs would be using ext3 by now.
Queseuq

Post by Queseuq »

Tried a zip file and it unzipped fine but Broken Sword still won't play. I've got exactly the same problem as in this thread http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... 9258b4fdfb but my permissions are fine.

I didn't run out of space on my netbook, still got 6GB free. I'm using ext2 because ext3 is supposedly bad for SSDs, which I'm using.

Thanks for your help, I hope we can get to the bottom of this.
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

Have you confirmed any issues with case sensitivity?

Windows is a case insensitive OS but linux is case sensitive...

I've been bitten by this myself before copying scummvm stuff around...

EXT2 is EXT3 without a journal.... in the early says that made a difference to SSDs but tbh I would use ext3 now - if you battery goes the journal will assist with filesystem recovery and reduce the chances of corrupted data...

That said ext4 will be even better now due to its fsck behaviour and extents... if you use a netbook distro with 2.6.29+ kernel that would definitely be recommended (upcoming ubuntu 9.10 has 2.6.31.
Queseuq

Post by Queseuq »

YES!! Thank you, that worked perfectly.