ScummVM 1.0.0rc1 "Grog XD" is ready for your testi

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM 1.0.0rc1 "Grog XD" is ready for your testi

Post by sev »

Did you hear about our plans for 1.0.0? This is going to be the best ScummVM release ever! And to make it even more remarkable, we decided to put out a Release Candidate, which is awaiting you here.

It is the usual stable and supported release so don't let the name of 'Release Candidate' or 'RC1' throw you off, however we encourage you to test thoroughly. We have a release testing wiki page, which we would like to see turn into a mass of green indicating successful removal of any issues in the titles supported, and thus we need your help, our dear users of ScummVM. It would be really great to test as many games as possible on all variety platforms our project is ported to.

The list of changes which are prepared for you in this release is quite long. The most outstanding ones are:
  • Added support for Discworld
  • Added support for Discworld 2 - Missing Presumed ...!?
  • Added support for Return to Zork
  • Added support for Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2
  • Added support for The Manhole
  • Added support for Rodney's Funscreen
  • Added support for Cruise for a Corpse
  • Improved GUI vastly: added quick search, introduced per-game options, improved mass-add dialog
  • Broken Sword 1 & 2 now run with original cutscenes
  • Increased The 7th Guest microscope puzzle difficulty to match original
  • Major improvements to PSP, PS2 and WinCE ports
  • New port for GP2X Wiz handheld game console.
Full change list can be found in the NEWS file.

'Nuff said, download ScummVM and be one step closer to 1.0.0.
Last edited by sev on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

The last link in the Subversion Builds section points to Helllabs.
That links serves me something that claims to be 1.1.0svn.
That 1.1.0svn is not the version we are supposed to test, is it? This had me confused before.

So it is branch-1-0-0.tar.gz on Sourceforge that I need to get, or is it something else again?
roglon

Post by roglon »

I also had trunk 1.1.0 in first try.
But then found & used branch 1.0.0 from here (with svn co):

https://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/svn ... anch-1-0-0

This looks very similar to your zipped link.
Question now is, is 1.0.0svnSOMETHING still the right one for RC1?

Greetings
Roglon
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

bobdevis wrote:The last link in the Subversion Builds section points to Helllabs.
That links serves me something that claims to be 1.1.0svn.
That 1.1.0svn is not the version we are supposed to test, is it? This had me confused before.

So it is branch-1-0-0.tar.gz on Sourceforge that I need to get, or is it something else again?
You will find the 1.0.0rc1 version at the top of the download page. Firt the binaries (in the '1.0.0rc1 Release Binaries'section) and then the source code (in the '1.0.0rc1 Source Code' section). If you want a more recent version of the source code from the 1.0.0 branch your link is fine.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Is it too late to suggest a feature add?

I was just recalling how certain apps such as foobar2000 and GetDiz carried the ability to switch between non-portable and portable modes simply by detecting a certain (dummy) file in the program's directory. I think such a thing (if not some other way of maintaining true "portable"-ness) would be most awesome for a project such as ScummVM, particularly as PScummVM appears to be long unloved and forgotten.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Lol "Grog XD." That's awesome.
jackcmedia

Post by jackcmedia »

If anyone has not seen it, here it goes:

Link to Grog XD joke

The video is in Latin American spanish, and it's about a Latin American news channel. The cast of the news show was fooled by someone who sent them an e-mail about a new and sophisticated drink called Grog XD.

Mixed with cutscenes from Monkey Island (spanish version...), they even ask a liquor expert what SCUMM is.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

jackcmedia wrote:they even ask a liquor expert what SCUMM is.
When was that? Before the internet became widespread?
Google spits out 225.000 hits, and the answer is right there, even before you click any of them.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

jackcmedia wrote: The video is in Latin American spanish, and it's about a Latin American news channel. The cast of the news show was fooled by someone who sent them an e-mail about a new and sophisticated drink called Grog XD.

Mixed with cutscenes from Monkey Island (spanish version...), they even ask a liquor expert what SCUMM is.
The best think about it is that the doctor said, he googled fo scumm and found out that it is a liquour delivery service. Well, I also googled for scumm and got ScummVM as the first hit...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Hm, I've tried googling for "scum" (with one "m"), and looked at the relevant wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scum

The first entry says: "A layer of impurities that accumulates at the surface of a liquid (especially water or molten metal)"

Perhaps the doctor was talking about this? (purely speculation, of course)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

He probably saw references to SCUMM everywhere but ignored them for something "more plausible."
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The doctor found something like this when looking for SCUMM. (Which explains why he thought it was a delivery service).
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Oh ffs....
If you google for Grog, the first thing you get is the Wikipedia page that explains exactly what it is. There is even the relevant MI reference there. I know the MI reference has been there BEFORE this scandal, as I happen to have read that page half a year ago or so.

Either they couldn't find anyone who speaks English to check it, or they are to backward to realize you can look stuff up on the internet or that it might be a good idea to do so before you make a tv special about it.

The real scary thought is that these people probably have driver's licenses and raise children... *shudder*.....
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Someone should really play the same prank of FOX "News" or CNN. They would totally fall for it.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

bobdevis wrote:Oh ffs....
If you google for Grog, the first thing you get is the Wikipedia page that explains exactly what it is.
The search results differ based on country. It's possible that for him, the delivery service was (one of) the first hit(s).

Also, given that this "expert" was asked to investigate some alcoholic beverage and in particular the "SCUMM" ingredient, it makes sense that he would go with that search result, rather than some description of a game engine which, believe it or not, some people have NOT heard of, and might consider completely unrelated or, you know, not mixable in a drink.