Status of SCI games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

soulafein wrote:Is there any chance of supporting Gabriel Knight in ScummVM??
It's a SCI game, so it should hopefully be supported in the future. I believe that game uses a more recent version of SCI than is currently implemented, so that future may still be far away though.
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

The demo might work but the full game uses sci32 (or whatever anyone wants to call it) which as far as I know has no or little work done on it.
Collector

Post by Collector »

MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

derboo wrote:Well, it's a strange thing with the name nowadays, anyway ;).
The name could be updated to reflect how the project has expanded, but I suspect that ScummMadeTinselSciGobAgiCineAgosKyraGroovieYaddaYadaVM might be considered something of a mouthful. :lol:
djwtech

Post by djwtech »

Is there anyway to enable the SCI engine on the nightly builds? I looked at the source and was going to build it myself with it enabled, but it started to get too cumbersome.

Any help?

Thanks.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

You can't enable engines AFTER ScummVM is compiled.

You would have to get an alternative nightly compile from somewhere or do it yourself....
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Cumbersome? There's no reason to look at the code at all if you're building for Windows, Linux or Mac OS. But I was under the impression that the nightly builds have all the engines enabled anyway (I make my own builds so I don't bother with the nightlies any more).

If you want to build it yourself with SCI enabled, just use the --enable-sci switch when configuring (or --enable-all-engines to get everything enabled). It's a little different for different systems, but on my Mac I just checkout the code and do "./configure --enable-all-engines && make && make bundle". On my Fedora computer, it's "./configure --enable-all-engines && make && sudo make install". I assume it's something similar in Windows.

Of course, you have to first have a dev environment set up already. That part takes a little work. :wink:
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

MeddlingMonk wrote:Cumbersome? There's no reason to look at the code at all if you're building for Windows, Linux or Mac OS. But I was under the impression that the nightly builds have all the engines enabled anyway (I make my own builds so I don't bother with the nightlies any more).

If you want to build it yourself with SCI enabled, just use the --enable-sci switch when configuring (or --enable-all-engines to get everything enabled). It's a little different for different systems, but on my Mac I just checkout the code and do "./configure --enable-all-engines && make && make bundle". On my Fedora computer, it's "./configure --enable-all-engines && make && sudo make install". I assume it's something similar in Windows.

Of course, you have to first have a dev environment set up already. That part takes a little work. :wink:
can you hook up a copy for XP/Vista?

i had one nightly build that had scumm enabled, then decided to update again, then the SCI was disabled. this was a couple of weeks ago.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

yeah yeah wrote: can you hook up a copy for XP/Vista?
Sorry, but no. I had mentioned Mac OS and Fedora because that's what I use. There is info on compiling ScummVM for the various supported platforms on the wiki.
arablizzard2413

Post by arablizzard2413 »

Hey not bad, in King's Quest VI I got all the way to the trap floor in the catacombs before it crashed. He was just about to light the torch... :P

You have to use a couple tricks throughout the game though, like using enter instead of a mouse click and switching between speech and text to get around a couple hangs.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

was the SCI engine disabled in the win32 SVN aswell? Just installed the latest (1.0.0pre043842) and no SCI games would run for me. Tried to re-add the games (had some on the list from previous SVN) , but they won't even recognized.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Mataku wrote:was the SCI engine disabled in the win32 SVN aswell? Just installed the latest (1.0.0pre043842) and no SCI games would run for me. Tried to re-add the games (had some on the list from previous SVN) , but they won't even recognized.
Yes, it has been completely disabled in the Win32 version since 1.0 release testing started. This is a shame as I really want to play my SCI games!
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Graxer wrote:
Mataku wrote:was the SCI engine disabled in the win32 SVN aswell? Just installed the latest (1.0.0pre043842) and no SCI games would run for me. Tried to re-add the games (had some on the list from previous SVN) , but they won't even recognized.
Yes, it has been completely disabled in the Win32 version since 1.0 release testing started. This is a shame as I really want to play my SCI games!
Compile it yourself then :D
It's not actually that hard, there's some pretty good instructions on the wiki, though getting everything set up can be a bit laborious.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Graxer wrote:This is a shame as I really want to play my SCI games!
See this.
filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

What happened to SCI? I see it being mentioned in the changelog of SVN builds but I cannot get any title to run.