Discworld,Simon the Sorcerer,Inherit the Earth Soundtracks!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JamesWoodcock

Discworld,Simon the Sorcerer,Inherit the Earth Soundtracks!

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Recently I have released for download the following complete enhanced soundtracks for use with ScummVM:

- Simon the Sorcerer version 2.0,
- Inherit the Earth version 1.0
- Discworld version 2.0

For video previews, click the link below:
> ScummVM Music Enhancement Project Video Previews

Visit my ScummVM Music Enhancement Project News page for more information:
> ScummVM Music Enhancement Project News

For more information about the project, click the link below:
> ScummVM Music Enhancement Project
Mort

Post by Mort »

Do these work out of the box now? I know the recent Simon on the app store uses the enhanced music, and the Discworld soundtrack has been on my iPod for quite a while now. But not sure how to make them work through ScummVM.

Can you just drop them in the game folder and have them work? Or is there a wiki page I've not searched for yet?

Edit: Yep, follow the links and it's there. I'm an idiot. Cheers! I shall add this to my games folder posthaste!
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I tried to download the older version of the Discworld soundtrack the a few weeks ago, before realising that is wasn't compatable with ScummVM yet. It's downloading at the moment.

I have been holding off playing the game since I got it. I have been waiting for this to be released.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Instructions are on the posts associated with the downloads on my website :)
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

Wonderful news!!

I've been waiting for this release for a long time in order to replay the game with the music enhancement.

Thank you so much for your work, James, I really enjoyed the Simon soundtrack and I'm sure this one is going to sound equally brilliant.

I hope you'll keep up the good work with your Project, a real gift for all adventure lovers :wink:.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

WOO! Thank you!
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I noticed the completion of ITE the other day. I got the Wyrmkeep CD version of the game earlier this year. I don't have much desire to play it again but I'd be happy to fire up BASS gain. The 2 clips you've put up sound great.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

BASS is next on my list and then Touche.

BASS will take a while though as I am starting from scratch as I want to improve my original work.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Nice. Since I am a bit nostalgic, I consider the original tracks best on the long run, but this one is nice to hear.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

An interesting thing about the enhanced music is that, on a Mac with Core Audio enabled for MIDI, the oggs and the original MIDI do not sound much different except that the enhanced music has a slightly faster tempo. That isn't necessarily bad or even wrong, but it's somewhat curious.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Thank you for your wonderful work James.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

I had the chance to test the music ingame. ITE has no problems, but playing Discworld, the new and the old music overlay so that I hear a mash of both of them. I am using the most recent daily build. If i load an old save game, just the old music is played.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MeddlingMonk wrote:the oggs and the original MIDI do not sound much different except that the enhanced music has a slightly faster tempo.
If you mean Discworld, from what I understand the enhanced music is based on the tempo specified in the MIDI data. The original game engine deliberately played it a bit slower than that, so ScummVM does too. (So it should hopefully match what you hear if you play it in DOSBox.) The sound library it used called this "sequence timing", and it was set to 109 (the default is 120), so presumably it plays it at about 90% of the default tempo.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Yeah, I meant Discworld. And now I know why the oggs have a faster tempo, but why does the game slow down the MIDI tempo? It doesn't actually matter, really, but it seems like an odd choice to make because I can't imagine a technical reason for it (which could just mean I'm stupid, of course :wink: ).