Anyone know if it's possible to extract Loom's CDDA.SOU?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DCDayDreamer

Post by DCDayDreamer »

marzipan wrote:Of course, what would be a better thing to do in the long run to help the general audience out - posting a detailed guide on how to extract their own 000 files out of the executables of their legitimately bought Steam downloads, or posting all the necessary 000 files online somewhere (unless spreading these small files alone is still just as bad as the whole thing), similar to the BS/FF videos being made available?
The whole idea of the Steam LA release is to put the classic game out there again for the general audience, posting links to the ripped data from the game would also be against the rules over here, a detailed guide on how to extract the files should be ok but you'd need the information about extracting CDDA.SOU for the guide to be worthwhile.

Permission was granted from Revolution Software for distribution of the converted videos from BS (check the Readme), it's not the same as ripping the original video data and distributing that, the only FF videos available are the ones missing from the Macintosh and Amiga versions of the game, it's not the complete game rip.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
marzipan wrote:Of course, what would be a better thing to do in the long run to help the general audience out - posting a detailed guide on how to extract their own 000 files out of the executables of their legitimately bought Steam downloads, or posting all the necessary 000 files online somewhere (unless spreading these small files alone is still just as bad as the whole thing), similar to the BS/FF videos being made available?
The whole idea of the Steam LA release is to put the classic game out there again for the general audience, posting links to the ripped data from the game would also be against the rules over here, a detailed guide on how to extract the files should be ok but you'd need the information about extracting CDDA.SOU for the guide to be worthwhile.
If I get any info from anyone regarding CDDA.SOU I'll likely add it. 90 views of my post at Mixnmojo so far and nobody's taken the bait. :(
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

Out of curiousity, I loaded the .cdda file in audacity. It looks 16bit Mono raw audio. It definately is not compressed in some way. There is probably some data between the audio because the sound is not perfect if you play it. (Maybe CRC checks?)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Really? It's in mono? That's pretty bad for a CD audio track.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Mono, eh? Hmmm. Not sure why I didn't take that into equation earlier. I can't even remember checking for channels when testplaying Steam Loom. Will have to give it another whirl.
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

Well, it could also be stereo at 22050hz. That sounds pretty much the same as mono 44100hz to me (at least in this case).
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Data between the audio seems odd. All the engine needs along with the samples is in the scripts. Do the data files differ as well?
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Not at all. The *.LFLs and DISK01.LEC remain the same as before, including checksums and lengths.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Intriguing. Testing the file through GoldWave (similar tool to Audacity), it appears if you choose 44100Hz Mono or 22050Hz Stereo (16-bit signed in both cases) in the RAW options box that pops up, you get the same correct sound. Of course, there's still lots of clicks and pops throughout (presumably the bits of data being thrown into the mix).
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

One more thing I discovered - when playing Loom through the new executable there are quick fade outs and ins between each audio piece (something not present in the original) - this is most noticeable when you're skipping bits.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

marzipan wrote:Intriguing. Testing the file through GoldWave (similar tool to Audacity), it appears if you choose 44100Hz Mono or 22050Hz Stereo (16-bit signed in both cases) in the RAW options box that pops up, you get the same correct sound.
Does this mean, even the music is mono and has no frequencies above 11025 Hz?
marzipan wrote:One more thing I discovered - when playing Loom through the new executable there are quick fade outs and ins between each audio piece (something not present in the original) - this is most noticeable when you're skipping bits.
Like to avoid clicks. Was it done with FOA as well?
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:Does this mean, even the music is mono and has no frequencies above 11025 Hz?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. If I use any other Hertz/Channels combo the audio plays back either too slow or too fast.
LogicDeluxe wrote:Like to avoid clicks. Was it done with FOA as well?
Again, I'm not sure what you mean. FOA never used CDDA, which is more open to limitations than using digital audio on a data track, IMO.
apprentice_fu

Post by apprentice_fu »

Is there still interest ins this question? I figured out how the CDDA.SOU is encoded.
ufoufo

Post by ufoufo »

I would like to know. :D
apprentice_fu

Post by apprentice_fu »

OK.
I'm not really an "audio guy" and English is not my first language so please excuse me if some of my words are not correct.
I also don't know if the encoding has a proper name or not.

The audio is in stereo and 44100 Hz but only 8 bits are used for the values. But it is not 8 bit PCM.

The 16 bit values are actually bit shifted and every 13.33 ms one additional byte is used to store how many bits the left respectively the right channel are shifted. (4 bits for left and right each)

At the beginning of the file there is an offset.

md5 of my CDDA.SOU: e444985cc1aa65780d912b4fe21a6043