How Do You? Tex Murphy for XP

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

The Jungo's

How Do You? Tex Murphy for XP

Post by The Jungo's »

This might be a mad post but here goes lol

Im sure there are those of you out there who remember the tex murphy games (Under a killing moon, Pandora Directive, Overseer) As most of you probably know there is no way on earth to transfer code over to ScummVM lol as it is a kind of 3d game.

However as it has a fairly large following still, how would you start to go about reforming the code to work with an XP/Modern system?

There are plenty of people who have tried DosBOX but it is never quite right, when compare the difference scummVM makes it is terrible both in performance and looks

Any help at all would be great :D
Last edited by The Jungo's on Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mim

Post by Mim »

I would like to see a port of these games too, they are great classic adventures. I played Pandora Directive in DOSBox and it was rather slow. You are right, the games have still lots of fans and forum here: www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/phpbb/index.php . BTW - could you please rename this thread to Tex Murphy or something like that? :) .
Last edited by Mim on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem

Post by clem »

I'm not sure but somewhere in the back of my brain I have the feeling microsoft now holds the rights to Tex Murphy... if that is indeed the case you can guess how likely a source release is ;-)

clem
Mim

Post by Mim »

According to this post (the game designer Aaron Conners answers some questions there) on Tex Murphy board http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/phpb ... ght=rights Microsoft probably no longer holds the rights.

Since you have the rights to Tex Murphy, then I presume that it is up to you to approve or deny permission to do fan-fiction or fan-game?

I don’t own the rights personally – they belong to Indie Built, Inc., the studio that I work for (which is much better than being owned by Microsoft). Decisions regarding fan fictions and fan games would have to be made by the studio management, not me.

Indie Built, Inc. homepage: http://mgsindiegames.com/
The Jungo's

Post by The Jungo's »

yeah the community there is huge and still the best place for any updates and help on the series.

I have changed the thread name too :-)

I am also sooo glad that it managed to get replies within the first day, surely this must show that there is a great passion out there to get these games playable again :D
The Jungo's

Post by The Jungo's »

BTW if anybody has any info, but only in file format, please send it to:
charlie_boy_2001@hotmail.com
Dorian Gray

Post by Dorian Gray »

Maybe you could ask the guy who made Overviewer, a resource extractor/viewer for these games: http://www.texmurphy.com/tm/overviewer.asp
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

Dorian Gray wrote:Maybe you could ask the guy who made Overviewer, a resource extractor/viewer for these games: http://www.texmurphy.com/tm/overviewer.asp
Oh wow. I wish I had known about this before I wrote my own. :)
The Jungo's

Post by The Jungo's »

I have tried mailing him, but still no answer :cry: i think it maybe a dead site now as it has not been updated since 1998,

Hopefully there will be some more leads to point me in right direction :D
RBoudin

Post by RBoudin »

Apparently, Aaron have all the rights (I've seen this on a french fan site that is on contact with him).
It seems that Under a killer moon and The Pandora Directive runs well using the Shinod boot disk Shinod7 website
I've tried to ay with VDMSound and DosBOX, but it was too slow. Maybe it could be playable under Linux using Wine or forks of it.

Tex sequels continues with Tex Murphy Radio Theatre that are free audio stories, tou can download it there Tex Murphy Radio Theatre. This is the french fan site, but these stories are in english and have been created by Aaron et Chris.

Concerning the future of Tex Murphy, Aaron says that there may be a new game and if it works, the sequel will continue, if not it could continue with audio stories like Tex Murphy Radio Theatre. The thirs possibility is online little games using a technology like Shockwave. The main problem is, of course, the money.

That's all the informations I found.
herman79

Post by herman79 »

Just wanted to tell you guys that there were a couple of Tex games before Under a Killing Moon too, called Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum. Those are 2D adventure games (although with a vectorbased 3d travel system...) Featuring an amazing usage of SFX through the PC speaker, even digitalized speech! One of the later "Interactive Movie" games, I believe it was "Pandora Directive" is actually a remake of "Mean Streets".

They play well in DOSBox. And even though it would be nice to see it implemented in ScummVM, I'm not sure what the benefits would've been... Maybe a better save system? Or improvements on sound? I dunno...
Dorian Gray

Post by Dorian Gray »

I made a resources Exporter/Importer for Mean Streats and disassembled the game program to allow its translation.
The translation in French is in progress.

I know there's also a 3D engine in this game, but if a ScummVm developper wants to support this game, I'll give him all my stuff.