List of games that support MT-32 music

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

zorbid

List of games that support MT-32 music

Post by zorbid »

Here's a list of ScummVM games supporting the MT-32. It's probably inexact for two reasons: 1) It's based on the Mobygames list which may be incomplete. 2) I've included some Sierra games without knowing if their AGI version supports the MT-32.

The 7th Guest
Beneath a Steel Sky (2+)
Cruise for a Corpse
Day of the Tentacle (LAPC-I)
Elvira II: The Jaws of Cerberus
Future Wars
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (LAPC-I)
Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2
The Legend of Kyrandia
The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate (composed for GM, but the MT-32 support is native)
Loom (Floppy EGA, requires an add-on)
Lure of the Temptress (2+)
The Manhole
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (LAPC-I)
Return to Zork
The Secret of Monkey Island (Floppy versions only. The EGA version requires an add-on)
Simon the Sorcerer (LAPC-I)
Simon the Sorcerer 2 (DOS versions) (?LAPC-I)
WaxWorks

(LAPC-I) Uses LAPC-I effects
(2+) The original interpreter is not compatible with the first generation devices (firmware lock ups). That behaviour has apparently been corrected to some extent in ScummVM. see bug 1393726

Edited according to the corrections of Charlii, LogicDeluxe, Kaminari and LordHoto.
Last edited by zorbid on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

A few comments to that list:

None of the early AGI games had MT-32 sound, most likely none did, apart from maybe KQ4 since that was released simultaneously as the SCI version.

Monkey Island Madness is not a game, it's a collection.

Secret of MI only need an extra patch for the EGA version, I believe, and the cd-version has cd-music.

A patch is also needed for Loom.

Do Sam & Max and DOTT really have special soundtracks for the MT-32? Don't they have general MIDI-tracks?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Here is a list of video games with MT-32 support: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT ... uter_games
Charlii wrote:None of the early AGI games had MT-32 sound, most likely none did
The music was apparently designed for polyphonic beeps. However, there is an unofficial patch which just outputs those notes to MPU401. It still does sound very basic, of course, no matter what MIDI device you are hooked up, but it is certainly better than PC speaker, since that did only play monophonic.
Monkey Island Madness is not a game, it's a collection.
And it includes the enhanced CD, thus no MT-32 support for MI1.
Do Sam & Max and DOTT really have special soundtracks for the MT-32? Don't they have general MIDI-tracks?
They are made for General MIDI (composed on Roland Soundcanvas SC-55), though DOTT has a converted MT-32 version, and Sam & Max does the conversion on the fly. Surely, a Soundcanvas is the better choice for those games.
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

Ok, thanks, I've updated the first post according to your comments and a better list from Mobygames.

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/d ... adventure/

For games that support both MT-32 and GM, it would be cool to know for what kind of device the music has been composed, or which options sounds better overall.

For example, IMO, FOTAQ sounds much better in GM (with the CoreAudio driver on OS X) than with my MT-32.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

zorbid wrote:For games that support both MT-32 and GM, it would be cool to know for what kind of device the music has been composed
Did I mention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT ... uter_games already?
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

Did you?

Actually, I missed the notice about the italics...
Thanks.

But that list doesn't mention a few games listed at Mobygames...

Flight of the Amazon Queen
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Leather Goddesses of Phobos! 2
The Manhole
Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer
WaxWorks

The Wikipedia article also reports that the VT games can cause buffer overflows and "firmware lock-up" with the first gen MT-32. Has this been corrected in ScummVM (assuming it's possible)?

Several games (mostly SCI) are sometimes troublesome on later generation devices. Is it possible to correct that behaviour?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

zorbid wrote:But that list doesn't mention a few games listed at Mobygames...

Flight of the Amazon Queen
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Leather Goddesses of Phobos! 2
The Manhole
Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer
WaxWorks
I didn't played those under DOS nor ScummVM except for Flight of the Amazon Queen, but I suspect that they were General MIDI only. ScummVM can translate any General MIDI track into MT-32, thus supporting it (but may run out of channels in some cases), even if the original game didn't. The other possibility is that they are indeed composed for MT-32 but just missing from the wiki list.
The Wikipedia article also reports that the VT games can cause buffer overflows and "firmware lock-up" with the first gen MT-32. Has this been corrected in ScummVM (assuming it's possible)?

Several games (mostly SCI) are sometimes troublesome on later generation devices. Is it possible to correct that behaviour?
Timing problems causing buffer overflows should be fixed in ScummVM. Track which may crash the device may not be fixable without redoing the faulty MIDI files. So far, my first gen MT-32 didn't crash with ScummVM, though. (I played all MT-32 supporting LucasArts adventures, BASS, Simon 1 & 2 and Flight of the Amazon Queen in ScummVM using my MT-32.)
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

I dug MobyGames some more:

Elvira II: The Jaws of Cerberus (A, MT, SB - (Am, ST, C64))
Flight of the Amazon Queen (A, MT, SB)
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (A, GM (+ ESS, PAS), MT, SB16, SB32)
Leather Goddesses of Phobos! 2 (A, MT, SB, LPT DAC (+ Covox, Disney), PAS, PS1, Tandy (+DAC TL/SL))
The Manhole (A, MT, SB, Tandy - (Mac, TurboGfx CD)) + (Covox Sound Master, Disney, PS1) in the Enhanced version.
Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer (A, GM, MT, SB)
WaxWorks (A, MT, SB - (Am))

So, IHNM and Touché support GM. But that doesn't tell us how the SAGA and Touche engines deal with it. The most logical thing would be to use GM by default except if the MT-32 emu or the True MT-32 options are used.

The DIG is reported to support GM too... Are there Midi resources besides the digitised sound track?

For the others, I'll have to try what sounds better if I get to play them. For FOTAQ, I prefer the CoreAudio driver with it's native sound font to the MT-32 so far.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

zorbid wrote:The DIG is reported to support GM too...
No way. That game uses iMuse digital which has sampled soundtracks, no MIDI at all.
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

That's what I thought too.

MobyGames also reports that AGI games (those I skimmed, at least) support various sound cards when they don't... So the list above may not be correct...
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Don't count on MG for accurate information.

As for native MIDI support in post-1992 games, it's mostly GM except for a few exceptions (for the record, GM appeared in 1991 and didn't gain much recognition before 1993).

In light of this, one should really make a distinction between native LA and native GM support. There's no point in mentioning that a specific GM game can support MT-32 when technically speaking, *all* GM games can (very loosely) support MT-32.

As LogicDeluxe said, the MT-32 can indeed play any GM game, provided you intialized the synth with a pseudo-GM bank remapping command via a custom sysex (which is what the Miles installer does in many post-1992 games). It's a mere fallback mode, it doesn't trigger a proper MT-32 soundtrack.

A few things then:

o KQ4 AGI doesn't support MT-32.
o The Manhole has only native MT-32 support.
o Inherit the Earth has only native MT-32 support.
o Simon the Sorcerer has only native MT-32 support.
o Simon the Sorcerer 2 has only native GM support.
o IHNM has only native GM support.
o Touché has only native GM support.
o FOTAQ has only native GM support.

LGOP2 / Elvira 2 / Waxworks: chances are they natively support MT-32 (all are 1992 games).
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

I edited the first post.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Kaminari wrote:o Simon the Sorcerer 2 has only native GM support.
Simon the Sorcerer 2 (DOS versions) actually offered separate music tracks for GM and MT-32.
zorbid

Post by zorbid »

We're finaly getting there...
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Re: List of games that support MT-32 music

Post by LordHoto »

zorbid wrote:The Legend of Kyrandia
The Legend of Kyrandia: Hand of Fate (GM)
The Legend of Kyrandia has only MT-32 music to be precise.

I'm unsure what's the "(GM)" bit after HoF, but I can tell that the MT-32 support is good and it is native, so no conversion from GM to MT-32. The only disadvantage of MT-32 over GM is the fewer channels, thus sometimes SFX eat up some channels from the music for a short period. All in all that's not too bad though.