ScummVM on Smartphone (QTek 8310)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

hmm. I'll check it out tonight and get back to you.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Hey guys,

We missed one line of code when applying the qvga patch to the source tree. Try this version: http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/scummvm-0.8 ... _02_02.zip.

K.
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:Hey guys,

We missed one line of code when applying the qvga patch to the source tree. Try this version: http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/scummvm-0.8 ... _02_02.zip.

K.
Hi knakos,

This revised version works! Thanks for fixing this!

BUT:
There seems to be a problem with the PocketScumm toolbar in this release.
In the previous release this one flickered a bit when starting a game but eventually disappeared.

In the new version this happens for some games as well (Sam n Max, Manian Mansion 2), but for some (it happens to Monkey Island 1+2 for me) it flickers and STAYS! The cursor then is still gone and you have to e.g push the Contacts button of the phone to exit out of ScummVM and then kill the program via the TaskManager... :(

I wonder anyway:
Isn't the toolbar supposed to open at the lower end of the game screen, using the 20 pixels that are left from the 320x200 pixel games on the display?
For me this opens at the top of the screen, hiding the parts of the game screen below.
And as said above, it cannot be used in any way - the cursor disappears and you cannot get out of it again (no doubleclicking works or whatever), nor use any button that it is meant to provide... :?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

That's some great debugging info pa9an, thanks for this.

Arisme did some updating to the toolbar code to rectify an issue for pocket pcs, but something is broken obviously in smartphones. I'll take a close look.

I don't want to bother you with details, but the panel is "hidden" when running on smartphones. Futher, due to skipped initialization steps, it does not get positioned correctly (it's always hidden, or rather *should be*).

K.
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:That's some great debugging info pa9an, thanks for this.

Arisme did some updating to the toolbar code to rectify an issue for pocket pcs, but something is broken obviously in smartphones. I'll take a close look.

I don't want to bother you with details, but the panel is "hidden" when running on smartphones. Futher, due to skipped initialization steps, it does not get positioned correctly (it's always hidden, or rather *should be*).

K.
No bothering, don't worry :)

So is what you say: It is not supposed to use the panel on Smartphone, because the functionality that it provides is only useful on PPCs?
That's why it is hidden when the program is started on a phone? Or as you said 'should be'? Or would it be possible to make it useful for Smartphone users as well, e.g. to minimize the program or whatever it could provide?

Thanks for checking into this - your help is very much appreciated!
Let me know if you need further details.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Arisme sets up the panel anyway and then hides it when running on smartphones. My guess is that it will obscure part of the playfield. Granted, the functionality of the panel & keyboard will be useful to phone users as well, but it will be cumbersome to use it. So, lets start by fixing the hidden panel so that all users have the normal functionality and then (maybe) enable the panel to phone users by double clicking the top of the screen. Actually, I think only the keyboard should suffice, for naming the saved games or (and this IS a problem) entering codes for gobliiins.

K.
taemo

Post by taemo »

Firstly this is really good work from all of the scumm team and beyond.

I have a SPV C600 smartphone which is a HTC Tornado ....
It runs WM2005 and has a 320x240 screen.

I am trying to get ScummVM running and playing Monkey 1.

I have tried the first version of this patched version and was able to get some cursor control via the number keys on the phone. I found a post to re-map these to the joystick which seamed to work out. But I really only have vague control over the initial options screen and some random control once in game. I can occasionally get menus up by pressing and holding certain keys but this is not reliable.

I have tried the latest patch as well this has the scummvm menu stuck accross the top which like pa9an wont go away, if I double click the mouse bottons I get a little red cross on the "music note and script icon".

I guess the first step would be to understand the keymappings so I can be confident about key presses, can any one fill in any of the blanks below. Either generically or C600 specific. I have only once got into the remap menu and I didnt write down all the options.

action_mapping=0111 0112 0114 0113 011a 011b 0030 001b 0039 0000

im guessing the above action mapping relates to

Menu item | code | scum operation | c600 key
0. 0111 up joystick cursor up
1. 0112 down joystick cursor down
2. 0114 left joystick cursor left
3. 0113 right joystick cursor right
4. 011a left softkey left click ?????
5. 011b right softkey right click ?????
6. 0030 ????? ?????
7. 001b ????? ?????
8. 0039 ????? ?????
9. 0000 ????? ?????

For anyone thats intrested this is also being followed on the smartphone forum modaco :
http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtop ... 0&p=712328&

Many thanks

Jamie
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

From the source file:

Code: Select all

const String smartphoneActionNames[] = {
	"Up",
	"Down",
	"Left",
	"Right",
	"Left Click",
	"Right Click",
	"Save",
	"Skip",
	"Zone",
	"FT Cheat",
	"Bind Keys"
};
These are mapped to key scancodes and saved in action_mapping in that order.

BUT, the current bug is that the panel ends up unhidden sometimes in smartphones and all controls are lost. I wouldn't recommend touching the action_mappings line, as it doesn't seem like the cause of the current bug. We're working on it.

Kostas
maru

Post by maru »

I've another problem:
When I want to give an item to someone, it dowsn't works! for example: when it's a magazine or so, in the line where all the comments isn't "give sth to ..." and I have to scroll to the person, it dowsn't works ;_; instead of this there is only written after a click (left mouse) "show sth"! and the magazine opened!

I uploaded an video (sry, bad contrasts ^^") http://www.aucb.de/user/martin/PICT0791.avi (750kb)

sry, but I cannot play games when I can't change and link things! please help me :oops:

PS: it works well on PC, the same game!
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

OK, that's another bug: You have a fast device so your single left click registers as multiple left click events. If all goes well in a couple of days I'll have a build ready to fix this issue as well.

[EDIT] Q: Does anyone know if any game in scummvm requires a double click? The modification I'm thinking may hinder this functionality (if it's required)

[EVEN MORE EDITING] OK, I lied :) I've fixed the MI & click repeat issue. Download binary: http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/scummvm-0.8 ... _02_03.zip.

K.
maru

Post by maru »

knakos wrote:OK, that's another bug: You have a fast device so your single left click registers as multiple left click events. If all goes well in a couple of days I'll have a build ready to fix this issue as well.

[EDIT] Q: Does anyone know if any game in scummvm requires a double click? The modification I'm thinking may hinder this functionality (if it's required)

[EVEN MORE EDITING] OK, I lied :) I've fixed the MI & click repeat issue. Download binary: http://users.uoa.gr/~knakos/scummvm-0.8 ... _02_03.zip.

K.
:o :shock: YOU'RE GODLIKE!!! THAT'S AMAZING, IT WORKS ^^ ... how u do such things? ... well whatever XD :D thank you knakos THX THX 8)
Can u also tell me where I can find the fullscreen filter? I was searching in the whole forum :?: ... but I am still happy that it works (now I can pose and bully guys with stupid java-games ... :twisted: *just joking 'round XD*) ... >_> :P
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

...And that's how fun it is to code & play with ScummVM ladies & gentlemen :lol:
Never go anywhere without it :lol:

PS. Didn't get the question about the fulscreen filter. I assume you mean something like the vertical stretching to fill the whole screen... Let's say it's on a TODO list (not very high priority). I'd rather code in virtual keyboard support for smartphones first.
maru

Post by maru »

knakos wrote:PS. Didn't get the question about the fulscreen filter. I assume you mean something like the vertical stretching to fill the whole screen... Let's say it's on a TODO list (not very high priority). I'd rather code in virtual keyboard support for smartphones first.
yeah, u're right, u told me that n0p has scripted a filter which stretch to fullscreen! ^^ ... but I found nothing (here in this forum!)
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:OK, that's another bug: You have a fast device so your single left click registers as multiple left click events. If all goes well in a couple of days I'll have a build ready to fix this issue as well.

K.
Thanks a lot again, Kostas! GREAT job...as usual! :)

Great to hear you're working on the virtual keyboard for Smartphones - really looking forward to this!

I do have 2 problems/questions again, though...sorry:

I tried to play some games designed for FMTowns. Especially in Loom which seems to use the full 320*240 resolution, the lower part of the screen seems to be cut off. When you e.g. look at things in the game, the image of the item is displayed at the bottom of the screen with a description of it below the item. The text of this description is cut off about in the middle, so you only see the upper half of the font.
Any clue how to fix this? I tried Aspect Ratio correction already, but this doesn't help - actually it even crashes ScummVM...

Also, do you know if the WinCE port of ScummVM is compiled with OGG support enabled? I have the music of Loom in OGG Vorbis format in the games dir - but it isn't played... Will I need to convert it into MP3 or may just the sample rate be too high (so I need to re-encode them with reduced sample rate)?

[EDIT] And there's one more this even (which makes the problems 3) ;)
I finally figured out how the zone switching seems works - strange is, though, that the cursor find the way back to the place in the verbs list when I hit the button - but it always jumps to the upper left corner of the game screen, when I want to jump to that area. I thought it would jump back to the point that you clicked on (or even had your cursor?) the last time, when you hit the button - or am I wrong here?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Pa9an wrote:Thanks a lot again, Kostas! GREAT job...as usual!
Well, Arisme is doing excellent stuff.. I'm only throwing in a couple of lines here and there :)
Pa9an wrote:I tried to play some games designed for FMTowns. Especially in Loom which seems to use the full 320*240 resolution, the lower part of the screen seems to be cut off. When you e.g. look at things in the game, the image of the item is displayed at the bottom of the screen with a description of it below the item. The text of this description is cut off about in the middle, so you only see the upper half of the font.
Just played the smartphone 176x220 version and it looks fine. It may be something with the QVGA version. I'll check it out later.
Pa9an wrote:Also, do you know if the WinCE port of ScummVM is compiled with OGG support enabled?
Yes, it's compiled with ogg suport built in. Check out the readme or the excellent tutorial by SirDave.
Pa9an wrote:I finally figured out how the zone switching seems works
Many people get the zone function wrong. There are three mouse zones. When you hit the zone key the current position of the mouse cursor is saved, and the cursor is moved to the position of the next zone. So you have zone 1:playfield, zone 2:verb area, zone 3:inventory. Ex: Start a game, point to something in the playfiled, press zone, select give, push zone, select newspaper, push zone, select the actor. That's it, instead of scrolling around the screen with one cursor, you get three.