Anyone for another Maniac Mansion remake...?

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kidorkman

Anyone for another Maniac Mansion remake...?

Post by Kidorkman »

I've been coming up with ideas for a new Maniac Mansion game. It is based on the NES version, which is my absolute favorite. It will be pretty much the same game, but with better graphics, more of a story line, and character development. I am actually very proud of what I've come up with so far.

I've started learning some basic programming. I'm not very good... But hopefully I will get better with practice.

I'm not sure how well people might take my ideas, so I wanted to ask what you guys thought first. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks!

(Sorry for the weird first post... DX )
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

How about doing it a little different to the remake that exists already and make it similar to the Japanese NES version?
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Be careful LucasArts don't crack the sads and shut you down like they did with the other guys.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Tinhead Ned wrote:Be careful LucasArts don't crack the sads and shut you down like they did with the other guys.
They seem quite selective for that, though. They forced Monkey Island based games to be taken off. Also, they don't want to see Indiana Jones or Star Wars music anywhere.
They didn't say anything against Maniac Mansion or Zak McKracken related fan games so far, which do exists for years.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Well, once something's been released it's hard to get rid of, but the group that made the Maniac Mansion remake - LucasFan Games I recall - were threatened with legal action over it.
Kidorkman

Post by Kidorkman »

Well, it's not like they were making them pay for the game they made. So why were they upset?

Do you think it's possible to get permission to make a fan game? It would be long term, and probably take years. And I'd need more people to help me. I'm such a noob.

Do you think it's not such a good idea?
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

There is a huge German series made by many fans: http://www.maniac-mansion-mania.com
Some episodes have translations, but most don't.
Tinhead Ned wrote:Well, once something's been released it's hard to get rid of, but the group that made the Maniac Mansion remake - LucasFan Games I recall - were threatened with legal action over it.
Wasn't that due to Indiana Jones?
TurtleInTime

Post by TurtleInTime »

Had this when I was a wee lad of 7 or 8. Would love to see it on XBox arcade or something as a remake.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:There is a huge German series made by many fans: http://www.maniac-mansion-mania.com
Some episodes have translations, but most don't.
Tinhead Ned wrote:Well, once something's been released it's hard to get rid of, but the group that made the Maniac Mansion remake - LucasFan Games I recall - were threatened with legal action over it.
Wasn't that due to Indiana Jones?
No. It was the MM Deluxe remake. LucasFan made it and The New Adventures of Zak McKracken (using the FM Towns graphics). MM Deluxe got the C&D but not Zak, IIRC.