What is the best Goblins 3 version?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SlimG

What is the best Goblins 3 version?

Post by SlimG »

I see there are both a DOS CD version with CDA audio, and a Windows version with *.mid audio of Goblins 3 in the datafiles wikipage.
What's the best (graphic and audio) version of Goblins 3?
Morden

Post by Morden »

That's actually a hard question to answer, because all of the versions have something the others don't. We already talk quite a bit about the music in all of the Goblins games.

For me, the best version of Goblins 3 would be the European floppy one. AdLib soundtrack is by far the best. You won't get the speech and some minor speech animations, and of course the CD music, but believe me, AdLib soundtrack is much beter.

Also, I said European, because the US version is called Goblins Quest 3 and has a different start splash screen, which sucks. Therefore - European floppy [PC DOS] is the way to go. For me anyways.
jefklak

Post by jefklak »

Adlib >>> CD version 8)
Listen for yourself, I recorded some stuff a while ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjGQYhP4tU8
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

There's a Windows version? Must say that I've never encountered it myself.

And surely the music in the Amiga version is better? =\
Morden

Post by Morden »

marzipan wrote:There's a Windows version? Must say that I've never encountered it myself.
Me neither. It is supported and the files needed to play it are listed on the Wiki page, so I guess it does exist. Anyone here who has it? Any videos?
marzipan wrote:And surely the music in the Amiga version is better? =\
It's a matter of opinion. I like the AdLib soundtrack better. I love the chiptune quality of it, while Amiga tracked audio sounds like cheap midi [in Goblins 3 case]. Here's how it sounds on Amiga - > click. Plus, the PC version had more tracks.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Actually, it seems the other two Gobliiins games have Windows versions as well. They must be pretty obscure indeed!
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The European disk version has alternate english subtitles too. I found that I couldn't really understand the context of half of what the characters were saying until I played all three versions of the game lol.

My favourite is the Sierra disk release, though. And yes, Adlib is the best soundtrack.
Morden

Post by Morden »

MusicallyInspired wrote:My favourite is the Sierra disk release, though.
Are there more differences between Coktel's European floppy edition and the US Sierra one, beside the start screen?

Image Image

I own European floppy and CD versions and Sierra CD one, and aside from the obvious CD - floppy differences and, of course, the start screen, I didn't see anything different. Unless there's a different password screen, present only in the floppy version.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The Sierra version doesn't have copy protection, for one. But the text is also translated differently, like I said above.
syntheticgerbil

Post by syntheticgerbil »

I would be curious as to what these windows versions are like as well if someone could tell me.

Something you guys are missing out in comparing Goblins 3 CD vs. Goblins 3 DOS/Amiga besides the new talking close-up animation is that Goblins 3 on CD has many added cutscene animations, especially closer to the end of the game.

Also if that splash screen with Wolfy is the original European splash screen, it is shown at the end when you beat the Sierra CD version, even though the Goblins Quest 3 splash screen is shown at the beginning.

But anyways back to the windows versions... Any chance the original tunes are MIDI with the added CD animations? If I could get a version of Goblins 2 and 3 with the combination of old music and new voices, that would be amazing. I really dislike the CD audio music on Goblins 3 especially. It's not bad, kind of sparse, but when you've played the game with the original songs, you definitely don't want to lose them.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i expect it would be possible to make a .wav (and then a .mp3 or whichever) recording of the midi music, maybe by recording the output from scummvm or dosbox, and then using those files in place of the cd tracks when playing the cd version? might not be perfect in terms of looping etc, but could be a good compromise.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

syntheticgerbil wrote:Any chance the original tunes are MIDI with the added CD animations? If I could get a version of Goblins 2 and 3 with the combination of old music and new voices, that would be amazing.
Read this thread about the problems with combining the CD version with the floppy version's music.
syntheticgerbil

Post by syntheticgerbil »

DrMcCoy wrote:
syntheticgerbil wrote:Any chance the original tunes are MIDI with the added CD animations? If I could get a version of Goblins 2 and 3 with the combination of old music and new voices, that would be amazing.
Read this thread about the problems with combining the CD version with the floppy version's music.
Ah, I did see that before. I guess I meant to ask, if anyone has the windows version of Goblins 3, does it have the speech and all of the extra animations that the CD DOS version has? I was sort of wondering if it were a sort of combination of the two.