Monkey Island is on the App Store

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nferno

Monkey Island is on the App Store

Post by nferno »

Today's your lucky day boys 'n girls; Monkey Island has been unleashed onto the App Store! :)
Check it out: http://toucharcade.com/2009/07/23/the-s ... and-video/
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Yeah, LEC twitted about it 4 hours ago.

I wonder, whether this port includes classic look too, or it runs only with the new skin.

Eugene
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

according to the linked article, it does indeed include the ability to switch between old & new looks.
canadacow

Post by canadacow »

Looks great on the iPhone but doesn't have any of the neat shader effects of the PC version.
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

canadacow wrote:Looks great on the iPhone but doesn't have any of the neat shader effects of the PC version.
Judging by the screenshots on the App Store, the shader effects are not there.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

hippy dave wrote:according to the linked article, it does indeed include the ability to switch between old & new looks.
Yep, it does.

Overall it plays pretty well :). Only nitpick I have is that while they use the same kind of touchpad control that ScummVM does, the sensitivity is set way too low for me (you have to swipe all the way across the screen twice, to move the cursor across once. Whereas in ScummVM half the length will move the cursor the whole way).
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

Vinterstum wrote:
hippy dave wrote:according to the linked article, it does indeed include the ability to switch between old & new looks.
Yep, it does.

Overall it plays pretty well :). Only nitpick I have is that while they use the same kind of touchpad control that ScummVM does, the sensitivity is set way too low for me (you have to swipe all the way across the screen twice, to move the cursor across once. Whereas in ScummVM half the length will move the cursor the whole way).
There's nothing at all to change it in the options ?
glokidd

Post by glokidd »

One thing ive noticed is that it seems to be missing a lot of the talk animations as well, im not sure if this is just a bug im experiencing or not though as i havent heard this mentioned anywhere yet...
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Kisdra wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:
Yep, it does.

There's nothing at all to change it in the options ?
Nope, not that I've seen.
Luther

Post by Luther »

I bought it the day it came out. It's good if you want to play with the new graphics and audio, but to play the original game you're better off with ScummVM. For some reason, when you switch to 'classic mode' it scales down and doesn't fill the whole screen resulting in some pixellation. There are also some bugs: for example when you talk to the dog in the Scumm Bar, the screen goes black instead of showing the closeup image.

So for nostalgia, stick to ScummVM.
To play the new version with voiceovers etc, get the App.

EDIT: There aren't really any options (volume controls, sensitivity etc). It strikes me that it could have done with more development before release... I bet there'll be some patches soon.