Transferring games to an iPod Touch

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ayjona

Transferring games to an iPod Touch

Post by Ayjona »

I am doing me best to transfer my old copies of The Curse of Monkey Island and Simon the Sorcerer 2 to my new and luverly iPod Touch. However, this is what prevents me from enjoying all that mobile point-and-click gaming goodness:

I cannot upload the games directly to /var/mobile/ (or /var/root/), since that partition (/dev/disk0s1) is far too small. (/dev/disk0s1 is only 500 mb to begin with.)

However, when I upload the games to the mobile user (which is really /dev/disk0s2), ScummVM fails to recognize them.

It also fails to recognize any symbolic links I place in /var/mobile/ that points towards the mobile user on the /dev/disk0s2 partition.

I access my iPod as a wi-fi disk on my mac, through Netatalk, downloaded from Cydia. Netatalk is an iPhone implementation of Appletalk.

I have checked the instructions on the wi-fi, but they only tell me to upload to /var/mobile, also stating that if we upload them ot any other directory, we'd be filling the smaller partition.

But /var/mobile actually rests on the smaller partition (/dev/disk0s1). It does have a link to the mobile user on /dev/disk0s2, but it still rests on /dev/disk0s1.

How would I go about uploading my games?

EDIT: Also, since I cannot seem to edit the wiki myself: a user cannot connect directly to an iPhone simply by means of an FTP client. At the very least, OpenSSH is needed. The wiki should be updated to take this into account.

EDIT2: I suppose the best way to resolve this problem would be to allow ScummVM to access the other partition.

EDIT3: I am able to access the Monkey Island and Simon folders, if I take the route /var/root (since root features links to the other partition). However, ScummVM cannot go any deeper than the folder structure on root, meaning that it can't add the games (probably because they are actually placed on the /dev/disk0s2 partition).
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

/var/mobile is symlinked to a directory on the large partition. If ScummVM can't access your games, you have to fix the permissions on the uploaded files/directories (as mentioned in the installation guide). Make sure they're accessable by the "mobile" user.

EDIT: To be more specific: /var is symlinked to /private/var. If you run 'df -h' on the phone you'll see that /private/var is the mountpoint for the /dev/disk0s2 partition.
ricksauer

Post by ricksauer »

Ayjona

Post by Ayjona »

Vinterstum wrote:/var/mobile is symlinked to a directory on the large partition. If ScummVM can't access your games, you have to fix the permissions on the uploaded files/directories (as mentioned in the installation guide). Make sure they're accessable by the "mobile" user.

EDIT: To be more specific: /var is symlinked to /private/var. If you run 'df -h' on the phone you'll see that /private/var is the mountpoint for the /dev/disk0s2 partition.
That's the peculiar part... I already had changed all the file permissions.

In the end, I had to use an alternate way of putting the files on my iPod in order for ScummCM to recognize the game.

Of course, that wasn't the end of my problems :wink: