The End of the Beginning - Release Testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

Using 1.0.0svn42463 for iPhone (3GS, 3.0).

Many, if not all of the "newer" Sierra games are real laggy or just ends up crashing within seconds.

- EcoQuest II
- King's Quest V
- King's Quest VI
- Space Quest 1 (VGA)
- Leisure Suit Larry 5

These games wouldn't load up at all:

- Quest for Glory 1
- Leisure Suit Larry 2
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

non of the games you mentioned are supposed to be supported yet, yhea yhea. Please check the testing list (link in the first post)
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

ahh makes sense.

oh well. worked great on PC, thought it would at least be stable enough to mess around on the iPhone.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

yeah yeah wrote:ahh makes sense.

oh well. worked great on PC, thought it would at least be stable enough to mess around on the iPhone.
For me (on the PC's latest SVN) EcoQuest II gives up just after Slaughter says "Hey, watch the suit!". When he dusts his arm down he freezes while the music continues. The menu-bar is still selectable and everything, even if the game doesn't progress.

Do you get further than this?
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

didn't play for too much. i'll check it tonight and let you know.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

yeah yeah wrote:didn't play for too much. i'll check it tonight and let you know.
Thanks! It was one of my favourite games as a kid, I hope it isn't just me.
Snarky

Post by Snarky »

NOTE, this is the 0.14.0svn42279 (July 9 2009 13:31:14) build, I couldn't access http://buildbot.scummvm.org/

Game: Discworld 2: Mortality Bytes(US CD-ROM version)

System:
Pentium 4
500 MB ram
16x DVD/CD-ROM drive
Windows XP
On board, no thrills sound & video(no hardware acceleration, special sound drivers, etc)

I've been going through Discworld 2, and problems I have happened:

Random pauses and hangs when trying out items, usually those that have some sort of cutscene or special animation. I am running this straight from my CD-ROM drive, so the issue might just be with buffering and the drive being too fast.

Retrying them works, so again I'm not sure if it is the VM or just "old game in much faster CD drive."

Now my current problem is getting the 2nd disk to run.....

I finished the 2nd act, and got the game's "insert disk 2" screen(swirling CD with Rincewind+Liberian). I ejected the CD, XP complained with the "disk isn't in drive" error, I changed the disk to #2 anyway, clicked "continue" and ScummVM closed/quit.

Tried to just get it to run from ScummVM's "start" option with disk #2 in the drive, but that didn't work(and the command line like box closed so fast I couldn't read anything).

So I tried to add the second disk, but the default directory did nothing. Going to the directory [drive-letter]:\DW2\ did produce the "dw2-us-2" id, but still wouldn't start. Odd thing is I can't recreate this bug, it now gives me id "dw2-us-1" no matter what I try.

Tried copying it to C:\DISCWORLD2\etc.. And it would only give the id "dw2-us-1"

Seeing as how they both had the same resource files and gave id "dw2-us-1", out of curiosity I loaded up my last save with disc 2 in the drive(saved at land XXXX after taking some pictures) and had it work. Clicked out of there to the world map, clicked Ankmorpork, tried the shades(I still needed to do something there) and scummVM crashed.... Tried that save and tried Holy Wood, crashed as well.

So maybe ScummVM is somehow not identifying the disks properly, possibly due to similar named resource files or something...

Maybe sometime later I'll see if I can save at the "insert disc 2" screen and if that does anything.

Other then those two issues the game has ran quite well so far. No glitches, no re-occurring crashes, etc.

I'll also see about digging up my CD-ROM Discworld 1, but I'm not too sure how well it will work out. From what I remember that game had its own share of game stopping/breaking bugs to begin with....
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Dude, ScummVM does not support running games straight from the CD-rom anymore. ESPECIALLY not multi-disk games.
You need to copy the contents of both the CD's to your HD. The files you need to copy are listed here.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

If you are having problems running straight from the CD-rom, none of the developers will care.
I'm sorry you wasted your time researching this and typing this up. If only you had looked at the readme or the other documentation before fiddling with the disks.......

ps:
"Discworld 2: Mortality Bytes" is listed as "Discworld 2: Missing Presumed ...!?" in all the documentation as that was the international/European name of the game.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

I just completed Discworld (CD/DOS/ENGLISH) on ScummVM 1.0.0SVN from June 12th. I am running Windows XP.

The game is completable, though it has a lot of glitches, mostly graphical. The only problem is I have no idea if these were all present in the original interpreter or not -- I am pretty sure most of them were, but not 100% certain. The most noticable ones are that whenever you walk in front of that troll at the pottery place or in the psychiatrickerist's office the troll's sprite will be on top of Rincewind, and the wrong animations playing in the endgame sequence. There are also a few instances where voiced dialogue lines are repeated (talking to the Braggart in Act 3), and two cases where trying to close a conversation by clicking on the hand doesn't work (the bartender in Act 2, the Librarian in Act 3).

Also as far as I can tell you can't trigger the "Final Battle", but I remember this being a bug in the original game way back when. You can still complete the game in the normal way though.

Honestly though I'm not sure if any of these should be reported as bugs or if they are just bugs from the scripts.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Honestly though I'm not sure if any of these should be reported as bugs or if they are just bugs from the scripts.

Maybe if you just list them here in the thread, someone can put them into the Wiki in the Tinsel Bugs page - we don't really want a lot of bug entries for glitches that were in the original game. In particular, though, if you could mention whether your version has .GRA or .SCN files - the .GRA version is known to have a lot of minor bugs which was fixed in the .SCN release. Even so, it wouldn't hurt to build up a definitive list.. maybe at some point someone with some time on their hands might look into fixing them all.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Finished Putt-Putt Joins the Parade. Dos\Hebrew version, on Windows XP, using 1.0.0svn42433
No issues.
taz-nz

Bug when playing Discworld

Post by taz-nz »

Tried play Discworld (CD/DOS/English) with ScummVM1.0.0svn42498 (july 15th release)

I got to ACT II, to the bit where you talk to the street starfish about the secret handshake and proving your a man, Then you go to psychiatrickerist and talk to the troll before being told you can go up stairs now, at this point Rincewind walks up the stairs, but instead of switching to the scene in the psychiatrickerist office where he shows you the ink blobs, he walks up the stairs and comes straight down agian, without showing the psychiatrickerist office scene or giving you the ink blobs you need to get into the palace the second time.

I quickly replayed the game from the start doing basically only what I need to get to that point again and the psychiatrickerist office scene worked as expect the second time around.

I have have a save game with this bug if it's any use to anyone in tracing the bug.

It also seems there is a couple of issues when you talk to the 'lecturer of recent runes' about why the librarian is an orangutan, it skips the librarian swinging in and braining you, atleast once and just jumps to the donkey cart gag, and the time after that you get brained by the librarian it skips the donkey cart bit.

Still play game now I got the ink blots so hopefully no more bugs.
Last edited by taz-nz on Fri May 18, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

dreammaster wrote:

Maybe if you just list them here in the thread, someone can put them into the Wiki in the Tinsel Bugs page - we don't really want a lot of bug entries for glitches that were in the original game. In particular, though, if you could mention whether your version has .GRA or .SCN files - the .GRA version is known to have a lot of minor bugs which was fixed in the .SCN release. Even so, it wouldn't hurt to build up a definitive list.. maybe at some point someone with some time on their hands might look into fixing them all.
I have the .GRA version so that is probably why most of the bugs are occuring. There's a lot more than are listed on the wiki, and I saw all the ones that were there. Still, as I said I do remember most of them occuring in the original interpreter, so it's probably not something easy to fix.
Truus999

Winie the Pooh and the 100 acre wood

Post by Truus999 »

Just finished this one. Dos/English on win xp with sp3 and scummvm 1.0.0svn42406

Cheers,
René
hydr0x

The Legend of Kyrandia

Post by hydr0x »

Game: The Legend of Kyrandia (CD/DOS/GERMAN)
Build: 1.0.0svn42498

Completable without any major problems. I noted two glitches though that might be engine bugs. I can't really be sure as I only played Kyrandia 3 back in the day. Bought the others recently and haven't played them before, so this is my first playthrough of this game.

1) Not reproducable, when I loaded a savegame right at the beginning (bridge in cave section), the character sprites disappeared. I could still move Brandon, but he wasn't visible

2) Reproducable. When loading a game while holding an item (and thus not having the standard cursor) it will still show the item (the different cursor) afterwards, even if you don't actually own that item in that savegame. It only goes away if you click on something that changes the cursor. Please note that this is purely visual, it neither gives you the item nor does it influence anything else, nor you can use the "virtual" item. It works as a standard cursor, but doesn't show it ;)