Is the ScummVM Team being sold out ???

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

VuurVos

Is the ScummVM Team being sold out ???

Post by VuurVos »

Hi all, i was just wondering about the following:

I bought a copy of Broken Sword 1 & 2 in a Double Pack (From Sold-Out Software, new and in seal!) and received in in the mail today (ordered at bol.com, great store if they ship to your country!) and was expecting to have to copy the files from the CD to use 'em in ScummVM. To my big surprise the files (including the movies) where already formatted to use with ScummVM, because the DVD-ROM is shipped with it!

After running the installer on the disc, it install the games on harddrive with ScummVM (v0.7.0 to exact) and creates a shortcut to launch the game through ScummVM!

Now I don't think they mean any harm with this product, after all i prefer to buy my games new instead of used, but is the ScummVM Team aware that ScummVM is effectively being sold?

Just wandering and wanted to let you know.

A link to the distributer of the disc can be found on here note: click Adventure on the left

Oh, and in case you're wondering, i purchased the game for 8,99 EURO at this address, in case anybody else is looking for it:

here
Last edited by VuurVos on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Actually, this is perfectly legal :). The only requirement under the GPL, is that they provide the source code used to compile the binaries, if requested by someone who bought the product. Presumably they just used a release version of ScummVM, so that wouldn't even be an issue.

This is a good thing. If more companies realize that ScummVM might contribute to selling more copies of their games, they'll be more willing to donate the source code of their games to us.
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Interesting :)

This is indeed perfectly legal, although I had no idea Sold Out had remastered their BS1/BS2 disks with ScummVM. Wonder when that happened.

Its very cool!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I guess it's also a way to cut down on incompatibilities with the various versions of Windows. I would of thought they would of informed the project though (even though the GPL probably states they don't need to).

Jimbob
VuurVos

Post by VuurVos »

Thanks for clearing that up guys!
pi

Post by pi »

While using ScummVM in that way is fine, repackaging the media files would propably not be without Revolution's approval. Since they're the official reseller nowadays I think that's been done. It would've still been nice if they had sent an informal note to the team 8)

Btw did they at least think of putting MacOS & Linux Versions on the Disc?

EDIT: please fix that link so the layout doesn't break horribly. That's what the [url=] Tag is for
VuurVos

Post by VuurVos »

@pi: Link fixed!

Unfortunately there are no Mac or Linux version on the disc, they've completely embedded everything in a Windows-installer thingy (horribly by the way, setup.exe is a 350MB file and there a 2 more 350MB data files :evil: ).

I installed the game and it then uncompresses to a folder, the files can be used perfectly fine but extraction is a windows only option! :cry:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Is ScummVM the only interpreter they include, or are the original ones there as well?

ScummVM 0.7.0 ... I can't help but think about all the bugs we've fixed since then. Including some Broken Sword-related ones. :)
VuurVos

Post by VuurVos »

Yes, ScummVM is the only interpreter they include. :)
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

It seems logical they just packed scummvm onto a dvd and not the original interpreters. The original interpreters read data from cds and as we know filenames on both cds are the same for music and speech but they have not the same content. How would you make the original interpreters to read the right file from ONE dvd without modifiing them?
raina

Post by raina »

Nemesis wrote:How would you make the original interpreters to read the right file from ONE dvd without modifiing them?
With a launcher that more or less silently creates a temporary virtual CD-ROM drive for each game?
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

This should be more complicated than rewriting the interpreter ;)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

There would be no need to modify the original interpreters in order to run the games directly from a DVD. Those games have some simple textfiles, where you can specify any path for the data files. It would be pretty easy to just put a CD1 and a CD2 directory on a DVD and run them with the original interpreter. The only thing to modify would be the installer in order to create that text file accordingly so you don't have to do it yourself (which many people had to do anyways as the original installers are pretty buggy)
raina

Post by raina »

The breakout in BS1 installer is probably the most challenging one of all time because it's so jerky. It's a good thing you can't run out of lives. Especially if Game Over meant aborting the installation. ;)
spawnofodncaster

Post by spawnofodncaster »

i have just got hold of the sold out dvd verison but what files would u need to run it on Symbian S60 if any one can help