ScummVM on Smartphone (QTek 8310)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scsi

Post by scsi »

Just registred to show my suport and gratitude for this. Before I switched to the Smartphone platform (now have an i-mate SP5, same as qtek 8300/8310), I used to play Scumm games alot on my PPC. I am really glad to see that it now is possible on out small phones too.

Don't have the possibility to test this yet, will give it a go tonight, and post my results, but in the meantime, I would like to give knakos, and of course, Arisme, a big thanks!

/Daniel
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Daniel: Thanks!

The keybinding issue: Check your scummvm.ini file. In section [smartphone] find the action_mapping line. There should be 11 numbers seperated by spaces (eg 0034 0036 etc). In case you have 10 numbers add another one: 000d. This way you'll get the normal dpad-start action. Another way to do this, and it's probably a better idea barring the rescan of the installed games, is to rename scummvm.ini to something other like scummvm.ini.old and run scummvm, which should create a fresh scummvm.ini file with correct action_mapping line. (NOTE: All this pertains to the Scummvm_PPC2002_2006_1_23 version I've provided and not the original 0.8.0).

Smartphone double click at the top of screen: This is a bug and you should not try to do it.
w0mbat

Post by w0mbat »

Hi knakos,

All seems to be working well with my Smartphone (a Orange SPV c550) and the Scummvm_PPC2002_2006_1_23 version :) I started Monkey Island 2 and it allowed me to remap my keys again. This time I did it properly and all the functions apart from the double click which you mentioned seem to work just fine :)

Its great, well done to everyone who was involved in porting this :P

w0mbat
scsi

Post by scsi »

Just tried it on my SP5, and except a few minor qwirks, it works fine. :)

The cursor movement is unprecise for me, and it is hard to get the pointer where you want it. It skips alot, the movement is pretty jerky. Would it be possible to make it smoother?

And I (and I believe, most right handed people) would prefer the screen orientation to be the other way around, meaning, rotating the picture 180 degrees. It would be great if this could be optional, since I know there are people prefering the current setup.

And at the lower right corner, the signal and the battery meter are showing through, when playing. This is not a mayor problem becouse theyend just where the game area begins, but it looks kinda ugly, and I guess it will create problems when playing vga games like Broken Sword, which I am yet to test.

Other than that, hats off! :D
Pete Teoh

Post by Pete Teoh »

I just tried it on my Cingular 2125 with "Day of the Tentacle" and I get the following error:

"startTalkSound: SFX file is not open"

ScummVM then exits. Any ideas how I can fix this? Thanks.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Pete Teoh: Low memory? Bad files? If you copy your DOTT files on the pc then run scummvm do you get the same error? What are the specs of your device?
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

from 0.8.x you need to include the sound file (compressed or not) with the games
Pete Teoh

Post by Pete Teoh »

knakos wrote:Pete Teoh: Low memory? Bad files? If you copy your DOTT files on the pc then run scummvm do you get the same error? What are the specs of your device?
I don't think it's low memory. I get the same error when running the same files on my PC.
Arisme wrote:from 0.8.x you need to include the sound file (compressed or not) with the games
Where do I get the sound file? I don't seem to have that. All I have are TENTACLE.000, TENTACLE.001 and TENTACLE.002. Thanks for your help so far.
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Watch out! Forum Rule #0
Arisme
ScummVM Porter

Post by Arisme »

You need to convert the MONSTER.SOU file that comes with your (original) game 8)
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

Trying out the new 0.8.1 version yesterday I had to realize that the non-moving-cursor problem is back!! :(
Arisme, I thought Knakos' fixes were in?? Could your 'last minute fix' have screwed something up again?

Ah, I also tried to delete (or better rename) the ini file - but not even this could help. Some keys were working (back key and I think the 0 key) but no cursor movements again... :(
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

no, it isn't the last minute fix. is the screen displayed ok? have you tried out the ppc2002 version as well?
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

knakos wrote:no, it isn't the last minute fix. is the screen displayed ok? have you tried out the ppc2002 version as well?
Yes, the screen looks fine. And no, haven't tried the ppc2002 version yet - as I thought having WM5 wouldn't require that...will do this tonight, though.
BTW, I wonder, why is there still a separate 2002 version? Cannot the diffs be incorporated into Arisme's build to have ONE exe for WinCE?
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

Arisme builds+develops the emulator for WM>=2003, while I simply build for 2002. It seems strange, up until you try out the two devel environments. And both builds are using the same codebase (well, maybe Arisme forgot to change one line in actions.cpp, which may be causing you the problems you have)

K.
Pa9an

Post by Pa9an »

Pa9an wrote:
knakos wrote:no, it isn't the last minute fix. is the screen displayed ok? have you tried out the ppc2002 version as well?
Yes, the screen looks fine. And no, haven't tried the ppc2002 version yet - as I thought having WM5 wouldn't require that...will do this tonight, though.
BTW, I wonder, why is there still a separate 2002 version? Cannot the diffs be incorporated into Arisme's build to have ONE exe for WinCE?
OK, tried it out right now - no, the new 0.8.1 ppc2002 version does not work either! No cursor movements, not with Joystick and not with number keys...strange! :?