Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Guys, we just do not know immediate plans of LucasArts in this regard. If they plan to release games on other platforms under different price, that could clearly interfere with ScummVM's ability to run it "everywhere."

Although I personally hope that we could be contacted with a cooperative spirit by LucasArts folks anytime soon, especially taking into account that our project was specifically named on their twitter.

Eugene
jg

Post by jg »

I just bought Loom, The Dig and both Indy games on Steam. None of them are directly recognized in ScummVM 0.13.0. Just fyi. I only tried because I wanted to turn off the pixel smoothing. I prefer blocky pixels.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

jg wrote:I just bought Loom, The Dig and both Indy games on Steam. None of them are directly recognized in ScummVM 0.13.0. Just fyi. I only tried because I wanted to turn off the pixel smoothing. I prefer blocky pixels.
You can disable pixel smoothing in the supplied interpreter. Just click on the part of the upper left part of the windows and click on "Graphics Smoothing" :-)
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

sev wrote:Guys, we just do not know immediate plans of LucasArts in this regard. If they plan to release games on other platforms under different price, that could clearly interfere with ScummVM's ability to run it "everywhere."

Although I personally hope that we could be contacted with a cooperative spirit by LucasArts folks anytime soon, especially taking into account that our project was specifically named on their twitter.

Eugene
I can see your point there, sev, especially regarding a potential release on different platforms. But still, even on my PC, I still like playing the games with ScummVM, imho they sound better and definitely have the better graphics filters.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

What soundtracks are supported in these releases? I'm guessing adlib only. What was it they said about Indy3 getting some updated sound?
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Charlii wrote:What soundtracks are supported in these releases? I'm guessing adlib only. What was it they said about Indy3 getting some updated sound?
FOA sounds like adlib, there is no way to change it in the supplied interpreter.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

See my blog post.

Eugene
mglz

Post by mglz »

chrisis wrote:FOA sounds like adlib, there is no way to change it in the supplied interpreter.
Yuck. Won't be buying then. Even the Wii version released with Staff of Kings used a General MIDI soundset.
BJ_Wanlund

Post by BJ_Wanlund »

sev wrote:See my blog post.

Eugene
Thank you for talking about that on your blog, sev.

I'll probably wait until more details emerge regarding LucasArts's digital distribution plans (mainly, a deal with GOG.com). That way, I absolutely KNOW it'll work with ScummVM instead of the other way around.

BJ
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

No offense to any of the ScummVM gurus, but... if the games have been made to work natively, why is there a desire to run them through ScummVM?

What are the deficiencies of the Steam versions, if any? (I've never known the difference between all those old sound formats; I've always run these in ScummVM with whatever default).

Go easy on me!
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Vegan wrote:No offense to any of the ScummVM gurus, but... if the games have been made to work natively, why is there a desire to run them through ScummVM?
Strange the Steam games don't run natively on my platform. I guess that's because Steam only works on Windows. So I am not really getting your point here.
el seth

Post by el seth »

LordHoto wrote:
Vegan wrote:No offense to any of the ScummVM gurus, but... if the games have been made to work natively, why is there a desire to run them through ScummVM?
Strange the Steam games don't run natively on my platform. I guess that's because Steam only works on Windows. So I am not really getting your point here.
Yeah, you are missing the point. What he's asking is what's the point of making the Steam version of these games compatible with ScummVM when they're already made to run on XP/Vista. Which has nothing to do with whether you personally run Windows or not.

I can think of a few reasons, such as graphics filters.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

No, that is a good point. I honestly hadn't thought about that. When I think of PC gaming, I think of, well, PC gaming.

I've only ever used ScummVM to make games run that won't run on newer versions of Windows, so I just never thought of ScummVM in that way.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

el seth wrote:Yeah, you are missing the point. What he's asking is what's the point of making the Steam version of these games compatible with ScummVM when they're already made to run on XP/Vista.
Actually, no. Even if they are compatible with XP or Vista, you still can't play them on GNU/Linux, MacOS, AmigaOS, the iPhone, .... That's the point right there.
Vegan wrote:When I think of PC gaming, I think of, well, PC gaming.
Yes. But "PC" != "Windows". The term "PC" doesn't even specify the architecture, let alone the operating system.
jg

Post by jg »

chrisis wrote:You can disable pixel smoothing in the supplied interpreter. Just click on the part of the upper left part of the windows and click on "Graphics Smoothing" :-)
Oh it's right there in the system menu. Thanks. :)