Tales of Monkey Island Announced + Revamped Original

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Mataku wrote:
Charlii wrote:That is the full game. Buy it and you can activate it straight away without downloading it again.
So they're giving away a download for the full game on the site for non paying users? It's like asking for people to pirate it. At least make the hackers work for it...
They did the same with Sam & Max, Strong Bad and Wallace & Gromit. As far as I know piracy hasn't been a problem.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Graxer wrote:They did the same with Sam & Max, Strong Bad and Wallace & Gromit. As far as I know piracy hasn't been a problem.
I donno, man. I've been to some torrent sites, and sure enough, there's the new MI for download, but not even the game, just a crack, and there's instructions:

Code: Select all

1. Download the demo from telltalegames.com
2. Install game
3. Use crack from this torrent to override game exe
4. enjoy game
So not only are people pirating it, but they're using the bandwidth from their own site to steal from them. Donno, seems like they're making the hackers' life easy.
But to each his own, I guess.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

This is also making the life of buyers easier. I guess they figured that the usual bunch of idiots will pirate this game no matter what they do anyway, so why pester and annoy honest users just to slightly complicated the inevitable?
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

just in case anyone's interested - i downloaded the demo and tried to get it running using crossover games (used to run windows games) on my macbook. i ended up having to install some extra directx files, but it did work after that. unfortunately, even at the lowest resolution/graphic detail settings, it was too jerky to be much fun, so i've uninstalled it & will try running it under windows another time. my macbook is one of the first generation ones with the rather rubbish intel gma graphics chipset, which i'm sure didn't help.
BJ_Wanlund

Post by BJ_Wanlund »

hippy dave wrote:just in case anyone's interested - i downloaded the demo and tried to get it running using crossover games (used to run windows games) on my macbook. i ended up having to install some extra directx files, but it did work after that. unfortunately, even at the lowest resolution/graphic detail settings, it was too jerky to be much fun, so i've uninstalled it & will try running it under windows another time. my macbook is one of the first generation ones with the rather rubbish intel gma graphics chipset, which i'm sure didn't help.
How many gigs of ram do you have in your MacBook? I have the full complement of 2 GB, so I don't know if that would help or not.

BJ
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

hippy dave wrote:just in case anyone's interested - i downloaded the demo and tried to get it running using crossover games (used to run windows games) on my macbook. i ended up having to install some extra directx files, but it did work after that. unfortunately, even at the lowest resolution/graphic detail settings, it was too jerky to be much fun, so i've uninstalled it & will try running it under windows another time. my macbook is one of the first generation ones with the rather rubbish intel gma graphics chipset, which i'm sure didn't help.
I'd be very happy if you could tell me exactly how you managed that. We're a group of people over at the Telltale forums with the common problem (once we got past the irritating activation) that the sound isn't working. If you could help us we would be really grateful!
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i do have 2gb of ram, thanks for the thought.

i don't think i did anything particularly clever to get it working. my crossover games bottle is a win2000 one, don't know how much difference that makes.

another edit: i just tried installing it in an xp bottle to see if that would help performance at all, it didn't.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

The Special Edition is released on XBLA tomorrow! :D XBLA games are usually released in less than 12 hours from now.

Lets hope it's a success so we can get a Monkey Island 2: Special Edition as well!
Meringues

Post by Meringues »

Damn, I wish i never had work tomorrow :)

I sure hope theres no issues like when sam and max was released on Xbox Live, I couldn't get it to download until the Thursday, if that happened with Monkey Island: SE... it would end me :shock:
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

There is no sign of it, despite the release date being the 15th. It seems we may be waiting longer.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Its up! I'm downloading it now! Its 800 points and weighs 532.51Mb.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

I am betting that 500mb of that is speech :D
Morden

Post by Morden »

No PC version yet. I'll wait until it's out and people know more about it. I don't want to jump into a DRM mess.

One of the main reasons why I'd like to see ScummVM support for the remake is DRM and annoying protections. I have completely removed Steam from my system and since then I've installed new Windows on my computer, so there's not even a trace left. I wasn't planning on installing Steam again before Half Life 2: Episode 3 and I'll try to stick to that.

I won't buy the XBLA version, because once ScummVM supports it [hopefully, sooner than later] I won't be able to get to my game files. So for now, I wait, and it sucks.
jefklak

Post by jefklak »

Don't get your hopes up, I think changes are pretty slim to non-existant scummVM will ever support the SE, since LucasArts' new strategy seems to be to create stupid fileswaps to explicitly "sabotage" scummVM (the classic ones on steam). Of course that wasn't done without a good reason.

I also think that's the reason they went for Steam and not GOG.com: Steam still utilises some kind of DRM. It's a shame but it's a fact: I love GOG and I'd very much like all classic games to appear on their catalog. But it's not going to happen.

Edit: seems to be in the wrong thread, this last discussion?
Morden

Post by Morden »

jefklak wrote:Don't get your hopes up, I think changes are pretty slim to non-existant scummVM will ever support the SE, since LucasArts' new strategy seems to be to create stupid fileswaps to explicitly "sabotage" scummVM (the classic ones on steam).
ScummVM developers already said that implementing support for Steam games is a quick fix, but they don't want to interfere with LucasArts' plans, at least for now. Since the Special Edition of Monkey Island still uses SCUMM, support shouldn't be a problem. It's more a question of "What would LucasArts say?" and "We don't want any trouble".