no sound problem. 8-bit loop

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

IndignantSkeptic

no sound problem. 8-bit loop

Post by IndignantSkeptic »

why have you made this program so that the sound is shut off when we try to maximize it. so can you make the volume settings go from 0-255 instead of 0-256. kthnxbai.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

About which game in particular are you speaking? It works correctly here in at least SCUMM and Gob games.
IndignantSkeptic

should it matter what game i noticed it in? my post has everything you need to know about why it happens. you would be wasting your time if you tested any game for this.

anyway i noticed it in Beneath a Steel Sky.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Actually sky works just fine for me with volume at 256.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

IndignantSkeptic wrote:should it matter what game i noticed it in?
Yes, since each game engine is responsible for retrieving its volume settings from the configuration. I know the kind of bug you describe has been fixed in a few engines already, and in some it wasn't a problem to begin with.

It can also matter which particular volume setting it is, and which version of ScummVM since the bug may be fixed already if we're lucky.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

IndignantSkeptic wrote:my post has everything you need to know about why it happens.
It hasn't. Because, oh wonder, the situation is a bit more complex.

That's exactly the reason why we need extensive information on bug reports, and not just an one-liner. Just because you think you found the cause without looking at the sources doesn't mean you actually did. Or that it wasn't already fixed in an up-to-date version.
IndignantSkeptic

this is not a bug that is supposed to be fixed for every single game individually. it is supposed to be fixed in only one place in the code.

what happens when you try to put the value 256 into 8-bit.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

IndignantSkeptic wrote:this is not a bug that is supposed to be fixed for every single game individually. it is supposed to be fixed in only one place in the code.
Again, the situation is more complex. Each engine can have its own volume handling. Be it because it provides its own options dialog or because the scripts like to know what volume you set.

And again, please tell us what version of ScummVM you use. Because here, with a recent SVN checkout, it works flawlessly, no matter which engine and which volume value.

Or rather: If you think this is a real bug, file a proper bug report and include all necessary information. The forums is no place for bug reports.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

IndignantSkeptic wrote:this is not a bug that is supposed to be fixed for every single game individually. it is supposed to be fixed in only one place in the code.
How about some more courtesy and respect from your side? The way you behave, acting as if you knew everything and as if we were stupid, doesn't really make anybody want to listen to you. Before you act like that, you should earn some standing by proving that you actually know what you are talking about.

Anyway, how about you put your money where your mouth is and show us how cool you are:
Since you already seem to know what the issue is, how about providing a patch/fix for it on our patch tracker, or pin-pointing the place where this supposedly breaks "everything"? Instead of complaining to us and refusing to divulge details on what you observed...

And ignoring the fact for a moment that it is not broken *every*where ;).
IndignantSkeptic wrote:what happens when you try to put the value 256 into 8-bit.
You get 0, of course. Now it's my turn: What happens when you try to put the value 256 into a 32-bit int? :)
Last edited by fingolfin on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

It beats me why you guys actually bother answering this guy properly. If he is not interested in a fruitful conversation, why should you?
IndignantSkeptic

ok, it seems the no sound problem was fixed in the latest version. i had done the tests in the previous version but couldn't say anything at the time because i had trouble getting onto the forum then, and when the latest version came out and i saw that the volume setting was still displaying 256 as the maximum value then i assumed you had not fixed the no sound problem that resulted from this.
noize

Post by noize »

I think we are talking to a 6 year old. Beat it kid, will ya?
maximus

Post by maximus »

noize wrote:I think we are talking to a 6 year old. Beat it kid, will ya?
Just because one person's being rude or ignorant doesn't mean you have to flame them back ... ignoring people works just as well ;)
noize

Post by noize »

maximus wrote:ignoring people works just as well ;)
Why don't you set an example yourself? I wasn't joking.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Okay, that's enough. Knock it off.