Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chrisis

Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

Post by chrisis »

Wow. Who thought that would happen? Do you think the data files will be compatible with ScummVM?
http://www.lucasarts.com/company/vip/ca ... g_2009.pdf
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

and also, according to Lucasarts twitter, Monkey Island SE will be out next week, July 15th, on Steam too (and Xbox live)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Does that mean you have to be online to play the SE?:P

meh.
rbemrose

Re: Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

Post by rbemrose »

chrisis wrote:Wow. Who thought that would happen? Do you think the data files will be compatible with ScummVM?
http://www.lucasarts.com/company/vip/ca ... g_2009.pdf
How do we know they aren't using ScummVM?
Jonatan wrote:Does that mean you have to be online to play the SE?:P
No, Steam only requires you to be online to initially activate the game. After that, you can set Steam to Offline mode. It may require periodic revalidation, though. I'm not sure, because I play Team Fortress 2 a lot, which of course requires Steam to be in Online mode.

(I could have sworn I had a forum account here before, but damned if I can find it)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

rbemrose wrote:How do we know they aren't using ScummVM?
It's LucasArts.
rbemrose

Post by rbemrose »

DrMcCoy wrote:
It's LucasArts.
Yes, but it'd be a lot more expensive for them to essentially rewrite it themselves.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

rbemrose wrote:
DrMcCoy wrote: It's LucasArts.
Yes, but it'd be a lot more expensive for them to essentially rewrite it themselves.
It's still LucasArts.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

rbemrose wrote:
DrMcCoy wrote:
It's LucasArts.
Well, at least some of the games already have been updated for Windows a few years ago by Aaron Giles (the guy who was also responsible for the Mac ports of most adventure games).
What I'm more worried about is, if only the executable is encrypted or the data files are too by steam... Because if it's the plain data files, it will be easy to play the games with ScummVM. But if the files are encrypted (remember: Steam is a DRM system too), then it will probably be hard to use those with ScummVM
VictimOfScience

Post by VictimOfScience »

Glad to see LA acknowledging the audience and fans here. Would have been sweet to see an official deal with the scummVM team though...if they would even want that.

I will likely buy them to support the scene and their continued demonstrations of fan service, but I will also rub the underarm of my scummVM t-shirt in their face when I see them. :D
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Great to see some of these games being rereleased at last. I expect they will just use Dosbox rather than rewrite any code in which case the games should work with scummVM. Not long to wait to find out anyway.

They talk about reviving classic franchises in that pdf. Maybe we can expect Telltale to do some Indy games next if the new Monkey Island series works out.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Shame that it's not using ScummVM - after all it's the best solution for their back catalogue of adventure titles! Although it doesn't affect me, I hope they sell the games in such a way that allows them to playable using ScummVM [for different platforms, better facilities, etc.].
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Wouldn't be surprised if they use DOSBox. Several companies used that when they re-released old DOS games on Steam, like iD Software (Doom series) and 2K Games (X-COM).
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Great to hear about this, but man...... Steam?! Would've thought GOG would be more appropriate for adventure titles. Unless DRM was what dragged LucasArts the other way of course.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

That will be the only one of them that I'll buy. I own the rest anyway.