Point and Click Gaming

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

That's how I read it. Sarcasm doesn't really translate well with ppl who can barely write or understand English however.
mglz

Post by mglz »

ezekiel000 wrote:Sarcasm?
Sort of. More of a comment on the general brutality of this thread. Reading through it I couldn't help but cringe a little.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

It's called evolution. Survival of the fittest ... webpage.
mglz

Post by mglz »

Kill or be killed? The strong eat the weak?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

In nature it would be. In this case, the strong actually tried to help the weak, but they refused to listen and learn, so it's more a case of self anihilation.

I strongly recommend to you the fantastic book 'on the origin of species' by Darwin.
mglz

Post by mglz »

Jonatan wrote:I strongly recommend to you the fantastic book 'on the origin of species' by Darwin.
Will it teach me how to make better websites?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I thought your comment was on the general brutality of life?

If you want to become better at making websites, I suggest you follow some of the very helpful advice already given in this thread.

Just make sure there is a point to making that website in the first place, the Internet is cluttered with enough useless junk as it is.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Well junk on the internet is quite subjective, and I for one will always prefer a democratic internet with junk, rather than a net without junk - guided by selfappointed persons taking on the roles of arbiters.

Ooh! and your signature says it all "silence or I'll kill you" ever thought of that?
Last edited by pncFreak on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

That's true, but a democracy involves discussion does it not? And no one in this thread has done anything but offer up their opinion which is what was requested in the first place. Anyone is free to make whatever they like, say whatever they like and have whatever opinion they like. But that also means they have to be open to critisism from the rest of that democracy.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The internet is very far from being democratic, I think.
mglz

Post by mglz »

Jonatan wrote:Just make sure there is a point to making that website in the first place, the Internet is cluttered with enough useless junk as it is.
I think all web developers started somewhere - many of them probably by making useless junk websites.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

mglz wrote:
Jonatan wrote:Just make sure there is a point to making that website in the first place, the Internet is cluttered with enough useless junk as it is.
I think all web developers started somewhere - many of them probably by making useless junk websites.
That's still no reason to put them up on the internet. And if you do and ask people to evaluate it, well, then you should be able to deal with whatever reply you might get.
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

Jonatan wrote:
mglz wrote: I think all web developers started somewhere - many of them probably by making useless junk websites.
That's still no reason to put them up on the internet. And if you do and ask people to evaluate it, well, then you should be able to deal with whatever reply you might get.
I disagree. For a budding web developer, I think it's important to get stuff up on the internet as soon as possible. It's not like it hurts anyone. The crucial thing (as in almost anything) is to make the most of criticism, particularly when it's constructive.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

spookypeanut wrote:
Jonatan wrote:
mglz wrote: I think all web developers started somewhere - many of them probably by making useless junk websites.
I disagree. For a budding web developer, I think it's important to get stuff up on the internet as soon as possible. It's not like it hurts anyone. The crucial thing (as in almost anything) is to make the most of criticism, particularly when it's constructive.
Ok, I can agree with you on that. As it seems we agree on the criticism point as well. It just seemed that the person who started this thread had no intention of becoming better at anything at all. And I still think experimenting with web development is slightly different from make a poor version of something that already exists on the web, with no intention of making it better. That, imho, is cluttering.
mglz

Post by mglz »

The idea of someone actually worrying about cluttering up the Internet is pretty funny to me.
I also think there's a fine line between constructive criticism and antagonism. It's worth considering your true intentions before criticising someone. Do you truly want to help someone become better or, deep-down, are you just looking for an excuse to kick someone in the face and get away with it?