Broken Sword I & II - Enhanced cutscene project - Update

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jacks

Post by Jacks »

Is this abandoned at all? What a pitty...
KevinW

Post by KevinW »

It's too bad there's no update on this project.

But I was wondering, Revolution obviously had a backup of the source code for their games. So is it possible that the cutscenes still exist in a raw or uncompressed form? Same goes to the music, does a higher quality version of the soundtrack exist?
Yuruka

Post by Yuruka »

Hmm...Do ScummVM use these Cutscenes in their Cutscene pack?

Sorry I'm too lazy to check for myself.

Great project, great screens, too bad you haven't updated on the project.

Ah, well.
raina

Post by raina »

Man, high quality music in BS would rule.. an empire or somesuch.
Yuruka wrote:Hmm...Do ScummVM use these Cutscenes in their Cutscene pack?
[...]
Great project, great screens, too bad you haven't updated on the project.
Does ScummVM use the results of a project that's clearly on hold

a) judging by the previous posts
b) which you acknowledge in your post?

What? No, the cutscene packs contain losslessly re-encoded versions of the original cutscenes that were compressed using a proprietary codec which the open source ScummVM can't support.
Last edited by raina on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yuruka

Post by Yuruka »

Hmmm...I've never thought about that.

High quality music would rule.

High quality music in Monkey Island (As in remastered) all 3 of them would rule.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

yes., well that's not quite possible in MI2 at least.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Oh darn. I can't believe this project died. Isn't there a way to hack the Broken Sword code to allow better quality videos to make it easier to improve them??
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

What do you mean? ScummVM reads dxa and even smacker videos now.
Improve away.

Thing is, it is pretty difficult to improve on highly compressed video like this without loosing some of the detail in the images.

I was actually thinking of having a go at it when I get the time myself though, I have some ok tools for tasks like these. But don't hold your breath.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

Does the new version for DS/Wii use the old movies, new versions of the old movies from the original masters or entirely new ones? In either of the two last cases, would it be possible to use these files with ScummVM instead of the originals?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

The directors cut uses a combination of newly drawn scenes and refurbished animation from the original game. And unfortunatly it will not be possible to use these as they have different timesignatures and slightly different storylines than the originals. Redoing the video we already have is a much more plausible solution.
invwar

Post by invwar »

As I remember, the Directors Cut just have a complete new Intro, all other cutscenes are all the same, just reencoded from the original source. You can see this best in the Ireland car accident cutscene, there is still the crappy CGI sports car like in the original. (it looks OK in the old cutscene because of the low quality)

So it should be possible to get most of the cutscenes in high resolution. Should be just "a little bit" wii hacking.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

But they are just really not that good reencodes of the crappy old cutscenes:P wouldn't be much point really.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

I "acquired" a copy of the Wii version and extracted the cutscenes for comparison. Apart from the mentioned different intro, there are a number of other differences that can be seen:

*All clips are now full-resolution (640*400) instead of 640*200.
*The clips are 30fps instead of 12fps. Some of the animation seems to have been retimed to add new frames, other parts just have multiplied frames. No evidence of smoothing, but I haven't looked closely at every clip.
*Most of the background and some of the sprites have been re-inserted in hi-res.
*The rest of the sprites seems to have been cut directly from the old scenes, and look very low-res and artifacted.
*Some details have been redrawn, for example in the ferrari-clip the gem is much bigger and shinier (to make the puzzle simpler?) and the blood on Fitzgerald's face have been removed (making the lower part of his face the only part of him that is in full resolution).
*The old intro, now the second(?) cutscene in the game, is for some reason upscaled and cropped to 640*480. This is rather ugly. It almost looks like George's eyebrows have been redrawn as well, but they are rather sharp in the original as well, so I guess they could just have been lucky in the re-encode...

Most importantly: These movies are in Nintendo's thp format and cannot be used in ScummVM without re-encoding. And that will likely result in the same problem with large file sizes as detailed above, but presumably with less improvement compared to the original. So, most likely not worth it.
invwar

Post by invwar »

I recently bought the PC Version of the Broken Sword DC, which was released nearly half a year ago. The cutscenes are available as *.ogv files with combined video and audio.
Is it possible to include the ogv cutscenes in the ScummVM Version? The cutscenes which are now available in full resolution are much superior to their original versions.
McKnallski

Post by McKnallski »

What´s about the Soundtrack of the DC Version? The Music should sound alot better as in the original. Maybe there is a way to use the better Soundtrack of the Directors Cut in ScummVM?