Monkey Island SE with SCUMMVM???

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

maclaine

Monkey Island SE with SCUMMVM???

Post by maclaine »

From the Monkey Island Adventures Facebook Q&A:
Q: Will the SE version also run under scumm. If yes, than it also runs under mac os x.

A: The game is built entirely using SCUMMVM, but it's packaged differently then other SCUMM games so it will work on modern computers and the 360. As such, SCUMMVM doesn't work with it. Sorry guys
Does this make any sense??? :shock:
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Sounds to me as if the guy who wrote the FAQ was confused and mixed up SCUMMVM and SCUMM (and SCUMMVM and ScummVM ;)
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

...and little lambs eat ivy.

I'm sure it'd be more correct if it had added the word 'yet', wouldn't it?
maclaine

Post by maclaine »

You are right. They have just corrected it:
Correcting a typo - the game is built entirely on SCUMM, not SCUMMVM. I'm terrible with acronyms.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, support by ScummVM would make sense, as I said. The problem is that in the SE the speech cannot be combined with the old graphics which will be prefered by many people since the characters are in an ugly comic style in the SE.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Nikioko wrote:Well, support by ScummVM would make sense, as I said. The problem is that in the SE the speech cannot be combined with the old graphics which will be prefered by many people since the characters are in an ugly comic style in the SE.
I suppose it would be possible to extract speech from special edition, and then recompile resources of original MI to support it. Even though it seems much work, somehow I have a feeling, that someone, at some point will do it. And maybe even create a patch, to do it automatically, combining both games. After all, it is Monkey Island!!!
Oh, and as for comic style: for me it is not that bad, but I just can't stand the new Guybrush and his hairstyle in particular.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Seldon wrote: I suppose it would be possible to extract speech from special edition, and then recompile resources of original MI to support it. Even though it seems much work, somehow I have a feeling, that someone, at some point will do it. And maybe even create a patch, to do it automatically, combining both games. After all, it is Monkey Island!!!
Oh, and as for comic style: for me it is not that bad, but I just can't stand the new Guybrush and his hairstyle in particular.
It is not just the hairstyle. In the SE Guybrush has an earring which he doesn't get before MI3. And that is an important part, since he wants to become a pirate first. With those eyes, Elaine looks rather like Turandot than a Caribbean governor, and she has been made somewhat thinner. LeChuck has become too little transparent, and Mancomb Seepgood reminded me of someone I know. This particular close up is now ruined, too. But the new backgrounds are beautiful, though.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Nikioko wrote:It is not just the hairstyle.
It's not only for the hairstyle, it's just the thing that is most annoying for me. I said, that i dislike "the new Guybrush AND his hairstyle". In MI:SE he looks like a real pirate, not a pirate wannabe :)
But telling the truth - it's much better than nothing, so we shouldn't whine.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Seldon wrote:
Nikioko wrote:It is not just the hairstyle.
It's not only for the hairstyle, it's just the thing that is most annoying for me. I said, that i dislike "the new Guybrush AND his hairstyle". In MI:SE he looks like a real pirate, not a pirate wannabe :)
But telling the truth - it's much better than nothing, so we shouldn't whine.
Of course, but the old graphics in better resolution would have done better. Actually, for MI backgrounds, real pictures have been painted and scanned, I hope they will use those for the SE of MI2. Besides - I like the backgrounds of the SE (except the moon that is far too big), but I really dislike the characters.
maclaine

Post by maclaine »

Nikioko wrote:I hope they will use those for the SE of MI2. Besides - I like the backgrounds of the SE (except the moon that is far too big), but I really dislike the characters.
Am I the only one who thinks that MI2 is still more beautiful than MI:SE? I don't think LucasArts will have an easy job updating this one.

MI2 is also incredibly dependent on the iMUSE sound system. It may actually be the only game where it really works flawlessly.

Or maybe I'm ranting just because I consider MI2 the best game ever... :lol:
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

No, not ranting. MI2 really is the only game where the music track is done perfectly. Games made before and after MI2, the transitions are so abrupt they might as well have the sound of a turntable needle scraped across a record placed between tracks.

And for any potential MI2:SE --- JUST RESCAN THE ORIGINAL BACKGROUND PAINTINGS, DUMMIES!!!*

--------------
*Now that's ranting.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

MeddlingMonk wrote: And for any potential MI2:SE --- JUST RESCAN THE ORIGINAL BACKGROUND PAINTINGS, DUMMIES!!!*

--------------
*Now that's ranting.
I see, we agree on that. ;-)

But do the same with the characters. How Guybrush in higher solution would look like we see at the fisherman on Phatt Island.
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Now we're talking! :)
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

And how about this?

Mud

Post by Mud »

Wow, that looks better than anything LucasArts has tried to push out in the last 10 years! Image