Tales of Monkey Island Announced + Revamped Original

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Well I guess the upgrade to full colour is from the HE games and the voices feature was already part of the scumm engine. But the water ripple in the intro shows that some sort of upgrade was made to the animation system doesn't it?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

ezekiel000 wrote:It's quite disappointing that they didn't increase the number of frames of animation to make all movement smoother.
I have seen a few E3 videos, and I think it is much smoother in the HD mode than it looks in this playthrough. If you look, the cursor movement isn't smooth in these videos either. In my opinion, its just the video recording software they used.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ezekiel000 wrote:Well I guess the upgrade to full colour is from the HE games and the voices feature was already part of the scumm engine. But the water ripple in the intro shows that some sort of upgrade was made to the animation system doesn't it?
I noticed there were some new background animations, too. But it should be trivial for them to detect when you enter a new room. (In ScummVM, it's the startScene() function.) I suppose one possibility would be that they simply created a mechanism there for adding new animations to rooms. That way, they probably wouldn't even have to touch the original game scripts.

Of course, that's just idle speculation; I have no inside information about how it works. For all I know, it could still be an extremely elaborate hoax. ;)
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I remember hearing the word "shaders" in reference to water animation from the E3 interview/playtest video.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

ezekiel000 wrote:It's quite disappointing that they didn't increase the number of frames of animation to make all movement smoother.
I can live with that. Most animated movies are similar.
It would have been a nice addition to have the lips animated in all those closeups, though. I guess, like the Spiffy closeup, they originally ditched it due to limited disk space.
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Graxer wrote:
I have seen a few E3 videos, and I think it is much smoother in the HD mode than it looks in this playthrough. If you look, the cursor movement isn't smooth in these videos either. In my opinion, its just the video recording software they used.
Yup, just watch this E3 Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UDrXP3qM2Q&fmt=22 smooth gameplay.
alexp2_ad

Post by alexp2_ad »

I wonder if the special edition will run on ScummVM with some tweaking?

Lucasarts confirmed on Twitter that it does actually run in SCUMM: http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames/status/2184159605

That would be awesome for non-Windows users. :)
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

Wow, I wasn't ever expecting to see a new ("new"?) Lucasarts game built with the Scumm engine. Awesome.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Xbox360Achievements.org have just got their hands on the Special Edition XBOX 360 Achievements and... they're all secret achievements:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game ... ievements/

I have been looking forward to discovering the achievements, so this is a bit of a let down. On the other hand though, the release of the achievement list often means the release date is close.

Also 1up.com has the release date as the 15th of July. If it is true, just under 2 weeks!
Last edited by Graxer on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

[quote="Graxer"]
I have been looking forward to discovering the achievements, so this is a bit of a let down.
quote]

I don't get you.
If they're all secret achievements then you can still look forward to discovering them.
Just avoid anything about the game at the moment and when it comes out start playing and see what you find.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Red_Breast wrote:
Graxer wrote: I have been looking forward to discovering the achievements, so this is a bit of a let down.
I don't get you.
If they're all secret achievements then you can still look forward to discovering them.
Just avoid anything about the game at the moment and when it comes out start playing and see what you find.
Lol. What I meant was, I usually look forward to Xbox360Achivevements.org announcing the achievements of games in advance. However this time they dont tell you what they are. Also technically you aren't meant to know about the identity of secret achievements until you have fufilled the requirement.

I'm still looking forward to finding out when I unlock them though.
saulob

Post by saulob »

The demo is out :)

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland

Niceeeeeeeeee !
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

190mb for the demo? How big is the full game?
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

That is the full game. Buy it and you can activate it straight away without downloading it again.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Charlii wrote:That is the full game. Buy it and you can activate it straight away without downloading it again.
So they're giving away a download for the full game on the site for non paying users? It's like asking for people to pirate it. At least make the hackers work for it...