too much traffic?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Cirion81

too much traffic?

Post by Cirion81 »

Dear ScummVM website maintainer,

I have noticed that downloading a daily ScummVM Snapshot is conciderably slow - indeed much slower as it used to be (around 80 kb/sec vs. a few kb/sec during the last days). I am just courious if you are experiencing any bandwith/traffic related problems and are thus slowing down the download of traffic intensive files.

If this is the case I can help you. I could sponsor you a webspace with enough traffic to offload some of your files (e.g daily builds). Just PM me if you are interested and we can get into the details.

Greetings

-Christian
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Thanks, there is no need for that, I guess :-). ScummVM is hosted by SourceForge.net, and they have plenty of bandwidth and speed reserves. And nope, we do not throttle any downloads.

The only thing I can think of is that today, there were some issues with the webserver, but those should be resolved now.

I am not sure which file you are talking about exactly, thus I can't check if there is anything wrong with that particular file. If the problems persist, please be a bit more specific...

Oh and for the curious: The project web server alone churns out about 1.5 GB / day data, so in a month that's about 45 GB. Add another 20 GB / day for the download server ... last month about 700 GB were transfered :-).
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

fingolfin wrote:Oh and for the curious: The project web server alone churns out about 1.5 GB / day data, so in a month that's about 45 GB. Add another 20 GB / day for the download server ... last month about 700 GB were transfered :-).
WOW!! That is alot!!

Jimbob
noize

Post by noize »

THis has been going on for a couple of weeks in my experience.
ANd it is only scummvm32.exe which is slow.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well the daily source snapshots have either been super fast or really slow over the past few weeks, so it's not just scummvm32.exe. You'll find that Sourceforge has these ups and downs every now and then.

Jimbob
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

I am not sure which file you are talking about exactly, thus I can't check if there is anything wrong with that particular file. If the problems persist, please be a bit more specific...
Sorry, that indeed I should have been. As noize noted the file I was referring to is the scummvmwin32.exe (daily build).

I always assumed the frontend website (scummvm.org) to be an extra dedicated server, paid for by the Scumm developers, as the obvious Sourceforge provided part of this website (bug tracking, old forum etc.) is always much, much slower than this website. And I remembered that someone in the BASS audio restauration thread noted there could be traffic issues hosting large files needed to provide the music. Also I saw that some of the files needed for the freeware games provided reside on external servers.

Anyway, I just extrapolated from these facts and drew some conclusions. Well, if traffic and such is no problem whatsoever for you, the better for us :-)

-Christian
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

The only extra server is the forum/wiki server... and you can blame me for any slowdowns on this end :)
Mim

Post by Mim »

fingolfin wrote:The only thing I can think of is that today, there were some issues with the webserver, but those should be resolved now.
I have noticed these slowdowns too. It is very slow at this moment (I mean scummvmwin32.exe) so the problem has not been resolved. I think it would not be bad to have an alternative source for download (if slowdowns will persist).
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

80kb/sec? Only start worrying when it goes down to 5 :)
clem

Post by clem »

if you want to mirror relevant files, you could think about hosting
- freeware data files + dats
- demos
- BS1 videos in different localizations
- BS2 videos

for example there's no download site linked from scummvm for either the German disk or talkie version of FOTAQ - even though that is confirmed to be legal freeware; the FOTAQ interview demo contains stuff not in the game and there's no sign of that on scummvm.org either, etc

upside is also that those files won't need much updating

clem
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

Hello guys,

I set up a mirror for the BASS CD-Version. http://scummvm.edoras-art.de/bass-cd-1.2.zip

Greetings

-Christian
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Cirion81 wrote:I set up a mirror for the BASS CD-Version. http://scummvm.edoras-art.de/bass-cd-1.2.zip
Great! I put it to our downloads page.

Eugene
clem

Post by clem »

while you're at it, maybe add the FOTAQ Interview demo as well in:

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/ ... s/scummvm/

it's not just a shorter version of the game but has some unique backgrounds and characters (John, Steve and Tony themselves!)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

clem wrote:while you're at it, maybe add the FOTAQ Interview demo as well in:
Thanks, it went to demos page.

Eugene
Cirion81

Post by Cirion81 »

sev wrote:
Cirion81 wrote:I set up a mirror for the BASS CD-Version. http://scummvm.edoras-art.de/bass-cd-1.2.zip
Great! I put it to our downloads page.

Eugene
Hello Sev,

unfortunately I have to ask you to remove the mirror link. Although I calculated that a reserve of 80GB traffic should be more than enough to host the BASS file, this doesn't seem to be the case.

In the last 9 days the file generated a traffic of 53GB, so I will definetely exceed my traffic limit of 100GB before the end of the month is reached.

More suprisingly some people out there seem to have nothing else to do than downloading stuff over and over again. My logfile tells me that two people each downloaded the file repeatedly within a timeframe of several hours, each causing 10GB, respective 11GB of traffic :shock: Beats my why they are doing this.

Sorry, I really would have liked to donate something to this project, but unfortunately I see myself forced to remove the mirror, because each GB additional traffic exceeding my monthly limit costs dearly.

-Christian