Tales of Monkey Island Announced + Revamped Original

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hansi

Tales of Monkey Island Announced + Revamped Original

Post by Hansi »

LucasArts' classic Monkey Island adventure series is to continue with Tales of Monkey Island, a new episodic series by Telltale Games, the publisher has announced.

A new edition of The Secret of Monkey Island was also unveiled, updating the series's first title with fully redrawn graphics, a re-mastered score and full voiceover.

Tales of Monkey Island continues the adventures of hapless would-be pirate Guybrush Threepwood on PC and Wii this summer with five monthly episodes. Telltale's team boasts many series veterans, including designers Dave Grossman and Mike Stemmle and composer Michael Land. Screenshots and concept art give the very first look.

Developed internally at LucasArts, Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition features the voice of Curse of Monkey Island's Guybrush, Dominic Armato. To modernise the title, each and every scene and graphic have been redrawn, and the oversized control bar has been replaced with a popup menu offering all the original SCUMM options.

Developed internally at LucasArts, Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will be released on PC and Xbox Live Arcade later in the summer.
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58892
http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots.x? ... #img135847
http://www.shacknews.com/screenshots.x? ... #img135848
Hansi

Post by Hansi »

Sorry, didn't see this thread because my mind just ignored it for having XBox in the title: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=7317

Please lock.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

There's also http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/, though I'm still not quite convinced it isn't all an elaborate hoax, or that it won't get cancelled at the last moment.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

What? Have you watched the gameplay videos/interviews? LucasArts isn't so stupid to to alienate their fans AGAIN.
Mirko

Post by Mirko »

And Telltale is planning to release the first Episode next month! I knew they would announce something today or tomorrow (because they said, they would announce something at E3), but I would not have expected it to be Monkey Island and so close to release. They are not even done with Wallace and Gromit, are they?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MusicallyInspired wrote:What? Have you watched the gameplay videos/interviews?
Yes. And Ron Gilbert's page, and the not-quite-related Telltale Games page.
MusicallyInspired wrote:LucasArts isn't so stupid to to alienate their fans AGAIN.
Now, that's the part were I have a lack of faith that some might even find disturbing. ;)
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Blach, they're sticking with the 3D? Lets hope the engine is good...
the remake looks fun, tho. Hope they're gonna remake MI2 aswell.
Last edited by Mataku on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirko

Post by Mirko »

You mean the engine for the new games from Telltale? Well if they keep it like Sam and Max and Strong Bad, it will be fine. It may not have top graphics but at least the Interface is good. It will probably easier than the old ones, but i really had fun with Sam and Max and Strong Bad. The interface for Wallace and Gromit did not convince me though, but I only played the demo. Thought about buying it next month, but MI has Priority now ;-)

By the way, what does that guy in the video from Lucasarts mean by "We built the game on top of the old code"? I am not sure if that were the exact words he used, but it does sound like they were using an updated Scumm for the remake.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:Now, that's the part were I have a lack of faith that some might even find disturbing. ;)
I find your lack of faith disturbing! :P

But, this is one of the greatest (if not the greatest) things to happen regarding LucasArts this millennium so far :)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

The video presents it just perfect. The hires graphics, music, voice acting, just everything. I really hope that there will be no stupid last minute decisions here, and I will buy this.
Furthermore, I hope this will successful enough, so they will also make MI2 and finally bring Ron Gilbert's MI3 too. In a time where DVD is commonplace, they also could make them multilingual.
Mirko wrote:By the way, what does that guy in the video from Lucasarts mean by "We built the game on top of the old code"? I am not sure if that were the exact words he used, but it does sound like they were using an updated Scumm for the remake.
It sounds like Scumm to me. In deed, it looks like they are using the Scumm V5 version scripts of the game, which are missing Smirk's smoke in the close up scene.
laffer

Post by laffer »

Keyboard controls in the Telltale series :?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

The Telltale deal is great.
As for this Xbox Special Ed. Looks good enough that I can say I'll be buying it but if I have one niggle it's the CoMI Guybrush. He seems to look exactly the same as in CoMI as well.
I can't remember if it's ever been documented (Monkey bible for example) but I built up a picture of Guybrush in my mind where he was about 14-15 in the first game and going through puberty. By CoMI he's around 19. Like I said that's just my version of Master Threepwood.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

here a direct link to the telltale site:

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland

Only problem I have with it, is the episodic gaming.. Just make 1 game instead of these stupid episodes which means I have to wait a long time before the whole game is finished..

but glad to hear the original creators are doing it again..
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

so when's scummvm going to support tales of monkey island?

j/k
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

hippy dave wrote:so when's scummvm going to support tales of monkey island?
I guess you are just trying to be funny.. because it will not be supported as it is 3D, AND even if scummvm would support 3D they would definitly not get permission...