Thoughts on the App Store

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's iPhone port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

FPy

Post by FPy »

So, the files I add to ScummVM are executables?
You're a developer, so you must be kidding! How the same files can work on a PC, on a Mac, a Nintendo DS, or an iPhone?
Again, I don't talk without proff, so, I read the first page of ScummVM Web site:
ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!
Notice the "you have their _data_files_", and "ScummVM just replaces the _executables_.

I resurected this thread because it shows, argument after argument, how the iPhone Team replies with false reasons.

You're right for one point, my post is useless. You don't want to make an AppStore version, and that's all (and I will not change your mind).
You don't care about so many persons asking for that, it's your software and you do what you want to do!
This thread would have been shorter (and understood by all) if you had replied the preceding sentence after the first message!

Good Night!
HeyItsThatGuy

Post by HeyItsThatGuy »

What he's trying to say is that there's no way for SCUMMVM to be able to bring the game files onto a non-jailbroken phone.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

*sigh* This has been explained again and again throughout this thread and others, but since you obviously don't care to read it, I'll repeat it again.

This is a portion of Apple's EULA:
3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any
means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other
frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in
an Application
except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and built-
in interpreter(s).
Almost all of the games ScummVM support, are script driven. Scripts are interpreted code. Hence they can't be downloaded to the device by ScummVM.
sesc

Maybe the reason behind is different

Post by sesc »

I don't want to restart a superflous discussion, but a lot of apps interprete code: of course the flight of the amazon queen made it into the appstore and recently sonic

http://blog.alltechrelated.com/2009/05/ ... ore-sorta/

I assume the reason for the quoted portion of Apple's EULA should prevent that developers can write apps without the xcode tool chain and it does not apply here, since no one will write apps that violate apples interest with scummvm as interpreter. Especially since the line between interpreted code and "game data" is not so clear...

Anyway, when (or if) Adobe will release Flash for the Iphone, there is hope for a change in the Eula.

BTW: I use the jail break version and I am happy with it.

Bye
sesc
Vinterstum wrote:*sigh* This has been explained again and again throughout this thread and others, but since you obviously don't care to read it, I'll repeat it again.

This is a portion of Apple's EULA:
3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any
means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other
frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in
an Application
except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published APIs and built-
in interpreter(s).
Almost all of the games ScummVM support, are script driven. Scripts are interpreted code. Hence they can't be downloaded to the device by ScummVM.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

The clause prevents apps from -downloading- interpreted code. If it's included in the install package, it's fine (as is the case with FOTAQ). This would apply to a general version of ScummVM though, since we'd need a delivery mechanism for game data (like an inbuilt FTP server).

And yes, the reason behind the clause is obviously to prevent things like Java VMs + package managers and whatnot which would allow apps to completely bypass the App Store. That doesn't change the fact it still applies to ScummVM games due to its very general phrasing.
Uber Dowzen

Post by Uber Dowzen »

can we please lock this thread? PLEASE :cry: ?
FPy

Post by FPy »

Uber Dowzen wrote:can we please lock this thread? PLEASE :cry: ?
:shock: Why?

If you don't care having scummVM on the AppStore, why do you want to forbid others asking for it?
If this thread annoys you, just don't read it!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

FPy wrote:
Uber Dowzen wrote:can we please lock this thread? PLEASE :cry: ?
:shock: Why?

If you don't care having scummVM on the AppStore, why do you want to forbid others asking for it?
If this thread annoys you, just don't read it!
We want to put ScummVM on the AppStore, Apple doesn't with their EULA, so go ask them, i.e. you're asking the wrong people
frostea

Post by frostea »

OK, I have been following this a bit. I would love scummVM on my Touch, but I'm not willing to jailbreak it. I know I could, but I just don't want to.

I've been using a couple of apps now, and I don't know if this suggestion has already been made. To be honest I'm too lazy to comb this forum for this, but...

Wouldn't it be possible to bypass all that fuzz about not allowing interpreted code to be loaded by supplying a client server architecture? Like adding a server function to the desktop versions of scummVM, so that you have to have it running on your computer and have access to your games via the server part?

I mean, what is port forwarding? You could even play your games from away, providing your computer's up and running and you have scummVM turned on. It sure is frustrating not to be able to enjoy a fair game of monkey island on my touch when I'm on the go, but at least I can play at home or at a friend's.

It's just a suggestion, and I know it implies a lot of coding, checking against the EULA and considering the actual need, since you _can_ play on a jailbroken device.

cheers
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

frostea wrote:OK, I have been following this a bit. I would love scummVM on my Touch, but I'm not willing to jailbreak it. I know I could, but I just don't want to.

I've been using a couple of apps now, and I don't know if this suggestion has already been made. To be honest I'm too lazy to comb this forum for this, but...

Wouldn't it be possible to bypass all that fuzz about not allowing interpreted code to be loaded by supplying a client server architecture? Like adding a server function to the desktop versions of scummVM, so that you have to have it running on your computer and have access to your games via the server part?

I mean, what is port forwarding? You could even play your games from away, providing your computer's up and running and you have scummVM turned on. It sure is frustrating not to be able to enjoy a fair game of monkey island on my touch when I'm on the go, but at least I can play at home or at a friend's.

It's just a suggestion, and I know it implies a lot of coding, checking against the EULA and considering the actual need, since you _can_ play on a jailbroken device.

cheers
There's already remote desktop solutions for the iPhone/iPods which gives you exactly that :).

And yes, people should just jailbreak. There's precious few reasons not to do so (i.e. there's absolutely no risk, and you can always restore it to original settings if you need to). And it's very easy.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Case in point: http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/20/full- ... app-store/

A fully licensed C64 emulator just got rejected.
Robo-X

Post by Robo-X »

Vinterstum wrote:Case in point: http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/20/full- ... app-store/

And if it ever gets accepted?

//Rob
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Robo-X wrote:
Vinterstum wrote:Case in point: http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/20/full- ... app-store/

//Rob
Don't hold your breath. Jailbreak ftw.
Robo-X

Post by Robo-X »

Jonatan wrote:
Robo-X wrote:

//Rob
Don't hold your breath. Jailbreak ftw.
Yes for now. But once Dev-Team releases the 3GS jailbreak Apple will most likely plug the iboot hole. And it might take some time to get another jailbreak for firmware 3.0.x.

Does ScummVM really qualify as a emulator as c64? I am still certain it will get into the App Store.

//Rob
Uber Dowzen

Post by Uber Dowzen »

Firstly, just forget about what I said earlier about locking the topic. That was a crazy screwed up time. Well actually no i just wasn't thinking about.

Secondly, why don't we compile a list of every issue with the appstore version of Scummvm and try address them all. The topic is just getting to messed up and people can't be bother searching through etc.