Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Hamzter

Post by Hamzter »

Vinterstum wrote:I've also put up a 0.13svn build for the iPhone with Tinsel enabled, for brave souls:

http://worldsmainorganization.org/scumm ... 3.0svn.deb

Put it on the iPhone/iPod, and install with 'dpkg -i <filename>'.

Double-clicking (for using) is a bit tricky at the moment though (gotta be pretty quick).
Does anyone have this build? The link is dead, and it'd probably take me most of the week to work out how to do an iphone build!
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Maybe the recent daily build just works fine?
Hamzter

Post by Hamzter »

I don't think there are daily builds for the iPhone is there? I couldn't find one anyway...
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

I just tried to launch Discworld 2 with the lastest daily build for Mac OS X, and all I got is a black screen.

Here is the log I've got :
User picked target 'dw2-fr' (gameid 'tinsel')...
Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... Tinsel Engine
Starting 'Tinsel engine game'
2009-05-07 11:41:02.605 scummvm[411:10b] *** Assertion failure in -[SDL_QuartzWindow setTitle:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-949.43/AppKit.subproj/NSWindow.m:1935
2009-05-07 11:41:02.607 scummvm[411:10b] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: aString != nil' invoked observer method: '*** -[SDLMain applicationDidFinishLaunching:]' observer: 0xe21f80 notification name: 'NSApplicationDidFinishLaunchingNotification'
I guess it's something with the Mac build, as I does it to me with all the latest build bot releases I tried these days, and I can play it perfectly with the latest builds for Windows.

Discworld, on the contrary, is perfect on both.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Kisdra wrote:I just tried to launch Discworld 2 with the lastest daily build for Mac OS X, and all I got is a black screen.

2009-05-07 11:41:02.605 scummvm[411:10b] *** Assertion failure in -[SDL_QuartzWindow setTitle:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-949.43/AppKit.subproj/NSWindow.m:1935
2009-05-07 11:41:02.607 scummvm[411:10b] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: aString != nil' invoked observer method: '*** -[SDLMain applicationDidFinishLaunching:]' observer: 0xe21f80 notification name: 'NSApplicationDidFinishLaunchingNotification'
I guess it's something with the Mac build, as I does it to me with all the latest build bot releases I tried these days, and I can play it perfectly with the latest builds for Windows.

Did you copy english.txt and english.smp from each CD to english1.txt, english1.txt and english2.txt, english2.txt respectively?
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Kisdra wrote:I just tried to launch Discworld 2 with the lastest daily build for Mac OS X, and all I got is a black screen.

Does it work on this one?

http://worldsmainorganization.org/scumm ... versal.dmg
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

md5 -> I think it's all good on the files side, because it works with Windows build.

Vinterstum -> Nope, still quite the same error message :
2009-05-07 19:33:19.421 scummvm[843:10b] *** Assertion failure in -[SDL_QuartzWindow setTitle:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-949.43/AppKit.subproj/NSWindow.m:1935
2009-05-07 19:33:19.423 scummvm[843:10b] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: aString != nil' invoked observer method: '*** -[SDLMain applicationDidFinishLaunching:]' observer: 0xc24400 notification name: 'NSApplicationDidFinishLaunchingNotification'
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kisdra wrote: 2009-05-07 19:33:19.421 scummvm[843:10b] *** Assertion failure in -[SDL_QuartzWindow setTitle:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-949.43/AppKit.subproj/NSWindow.m:1935
Isn't that when ScummVM is trying to set the ScummVM window's title to the name of the game? Does it contain any unusual (e.g. accented) characters? Maybe this function expects a different character encoding than ScummVM provides? There was some discussion about that a while ago, but so far nothing came out of it.
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

That's it !

In french, "Mortality Bytes" is "Mortellement Vôtre", the accented o was bugging ScummVM. With standard letter, it launch without problem.

But the strange thing is : with the Windows build, I keep the name with the ô, and that works.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Kisdra wrote:But the strange thing is : with the Windows build, I keep the name with the ô, and that works.
Its not strange, I have seen this a lot, but usually on file-system level.
If you have Winamp playlists made in Windows, you will usually need to go and fix them if any of song filenames contains special characters for playback in Linux. Navigating directories or accessing files who's name start with a minus sign (-) can be especially 'funny' in any unix-like OS.
I always tell people to avoid any special characters in filenames, email headers etc.... Only grief comes from it.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Ah, I think this is a known issue about encodings. We pass the title string on to SDL / Mac OS X without checking it. The OS expects it to be in "UTF-8" encoding, but it actually isn't, resulting in this problem. We can add a fix to SVN, so it won't crash in future versions. For now, you'll just have to edit the game description.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fingolfin wrote:Ah, I think this is a known issue about encodings.
I don't know if anyone had seen it crash on the Mac before, but the underlying problem was known, as can be seen in the link I posted earlier. That patch translates Latin-1 to UTF-8, which should fix the crash. However, it's currently wrong because the setWindowCaption() function assumes ASCII, not Latin-1.

And for all those who are still scratching their heads, wondering what all this is about... Nerd mode on.

People tend to think that "text" is something unambiguous, but there are several different methods for encoding characters. ASCII is probably the most unversally understood one. It uses character codes 32-126 for visible characters, and it's fine. As long as you only speak English. Latin-1 is a bit more versatile. It's essentially a superset of ASCII, which uses character codes 160-255 for additional characters. (Windows-1252 is a superset of Latin-1, using most of the 128-159 range for even more additional characters.)

UTF-8 is... different. Rather than being restricted to one byte per character (for a maximum of 256 different characters) it's a method for representing Unicode, which is said to contain more than 100,000 characters; more than enough for just about everything. It uses 1, 2, 3 or 4 bytes to represent a single character. However, as long as you stick to the ASCII character set, UTF-8 is in fact indistinguishable from ASCII. That's why SDL accepts an ASCII-encoded string, even though it expects an UTF-encoded string.

To encode the rest of the Latin-1 character set, you need two bytes per character. However, not every character code between 160 and 255 is valid UTF-8. It needs to use certain bit patterns to indicate how many bytes the character uses. So what probably happens here is that the "ô" is invalid UTF-8, and the Macintosh-specific parts of SDL complains about this. Under Windows, it uses different a different function for setting the window title. It's quite possible that it reacts differently to invalid UTF-8. It might even make the (in this case) correct assumption and treat it as Windows-1252 instead.
Last edited by eriktorbjorn on Sat May 09, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

Ok, I better understand this encoding importance.
:wink:

EDIT : Nice work guys, with the last build, the game is working with and without the "ô" in the title ! :D
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

if discworld is playable in the daly builds, why is not there an entry in the compatibility chart?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

crazy_achmed wrote:if discworld is playable in the daly builds, why is not there an entry in the compatibility chart?
Because it's not announced as supported yet, as we're waiting for an update on if the game will become freeware or not