Nokia 5800: my experiences!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

shimitar

Nokia 5800: my experiences!

Post by shimitar »

Hi all!
i own a Nokia 5800 and i used to own a SonyEricsson P800 (UIQ) back in time, these are some thoughts on the 5800 with back experience of scummvm on an handheld.

I remember playing ScummVM on my P800 and finishing(again) Monkey Island 1&2 with great joy. With the 5800 things are very different.

Screen:
On the P800 i enjoyed fixed full screen on landscape mode. This was great and very good. On the 5800 i get a half-screen display with a mostly useless wireframe keyboard taking the other half. The screen is also "twisted", so that i "should" hold the phone in landsape mode to see it right... BUT when i do this, the screen tilts upside-down (yes, i havd to turn the phone 180° from the standard upright vvertical position) AND the touch does not work in this mode.

Keyboard:
On the P800, i had no keyboard, only the multi-click rotary on the side, and scummvm worked fine. On the 5800 i have this wireframe keyboard that takes up half screen and i dont see how to remove it.. even if i need to get somehow to access the input anyway for the * key.

Games:
Loom crashes right away. Used to play it on P800.

Overall, but this is not only scummvm, the P800 (UIQ) was a much better software platform than the 5800 (S60v5). I am quite disappointed. The P800 was back from the 2004 age.

Anyway, can i help in any way with the 5800 port? I am good programmer and willing to install the symbian SDK.
darkado

Post by darkado »

first of all this is not a 5800 (s60v5 port), it's a s60v3 port running in compatibility mode.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

No differences between v3 and V5 api wise.. No special compability mode used. Actually most of the code is not related to any Nokia S60 UI code, but is using Symbian core apis (for audio, screen etc), only adoption to screen size, input etc has been made, and also listening to S60 UI events to behave correctly. (But not really used when only running the game).

The larger screen and relativly slowprocessor. P800 was running at 160 mhz.. with 320x200 resolution.. the 5800 is running at 369mhz in 640x360. so it has 3.6 times more pixels but only 2.3 x more clockcycles, and also the P800 could use a direct screen driver, which is causing hassles. Also the 5800 has a VERY slow screen driver, but that will be fixed in future firmware releases.

Also the latest 0.13.1 release should offer a larger screen area without the wireframe keyboard.
shimitar

Post by shimitar »

Installing 0.13.1 fixed the keyboard problem. Still, the only solution to fix the screen rotation problem is to disable the screen rotation. But this is not really a solution, since i want it to rotate.

Just, i do not want it to rotate when i am playing scummvm...

On the 5800 it would be great to have scummvm NOT change screen rotation when the device is rotated... Specially because when rotated touch stop working.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Try tapping 'CTRL' tap '2' then 'CTRL' again. And you don't have to turn off the sensor. All the controls that work for S60v3 phones also work for v5.. but you need to use the touch keyboard for that.
shimitar

Post by shimitar »

Thanks... this works! Now its much better.
Overall, with these two changes, playability is back up to what was back in 2004 on the P800.

And the added bonus of the popup keyboard i bet its great for other games. So great work so far!

Still, write me if you need help.
swe

Post by swe »

i have played full throttle and flight of teh amazon queen on my 5800 and truly it works out great!!!... just a little tricky when you have to right klick on stuf but it works .. :P
HerrSultan

Post by HerrSultan »

Thank you all ScummVM developers and in particular Anotherguest for the work you did with porting the world's favourite piece of software to every imaginable platform!

Besides, 0.13.1 works great on the 5800. :D
lanzz

Post by lanzz »

I have a problem with the mouse cursor on Nokia 5800 - it appears there are a few pixels near the edge of the screen on all sides, where the phone is not capable of detecting touch; I don't know if it's a problem with my unit, or it's like this on all 5800's. I'm trying to play Gobliins 2, which I recall had a menu that appeared when pointing the top of the screen, but it is not possible to move the cursor to the very edge of the screen due to the above problem. Can anybody else with a 5800 confirm if this is the case with their units? I've verified this with Mobile Paint, which is also unable to draw very near the edges of the screen.
lanzz

Post by lanzz »

It doesn't seem to be a hardware problem: I've tried to play with the touch calibration, and even when grossly miscalibrated, the inaccessible edge is still the same size - apparently the OS itself does not report touch in these areas. I'm attaching a Mobile Paint picture where I have painted as close to the edge as possible, leaving the inaccessible area visible in white (I have added a one pixel wide black border for clarity).

beren04

Post by beren04 »

HerrSultan wrote:Thank you all ScummVM developers and in particular Anotherguest for the work you did with porting the world's favourite piece of software to every imaginable platform!

Besides, 0.13.1 works great on the 5800. :D
please i need a download link for 0.13.1 to install it on Nokia 5530XM (similar to 5800)...
or if anybody knows wich ScummVM version works better with the nokia 5530xm please tell me...
thanks...