Simon The Sorcerer 1 - Can't read Calypso's Note

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lardboythe1st

Simon The Sorcerer 1 - Can't read Calypso's Note

Post by lardboythe1st »

I've started the game sat through all of the intro and then Simon walks into Calypso's cottage and just stands there.

I don't know what I am expected to do and apparently simon should have read Calypso's note automatically.

I press up on the D-Pad and then use left and right to click the mouse buttons.

When I left-click look at and then the note I get asked if I want to read it again and then highlight and left click yes and nothing happens.

Any help on how to read the note?

ScummVMDS version 0.11.1 using NDS version C
Simon the sorcerer version Windows CD English
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

If I recall correctly, there was a bug on that spot, where the Nintendo DS couldn't handle that large speech sound, and it was simply skipped instead of making it crash. This is the only reference I've been able to find in the forums: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=5027 It looks like it isn't fixed yet.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

If that's the case shouldn't a compression tool help?
Ingo

Post by Ingo »

The same problem with the DOS Floppy version. Quite weird that it skips the scene because of a large speech sound as the game is non-talkie :?

Anyway, maybe this could be mentioned in the Notes column in the compatibility table? That letter is quite an important part of the game, and it can be quite confusing for a new player if it's left out. Trust me, I know ;). I started playing today, and I have never played Simon before. It was quite wtf as the game just began and I had no clue what to do (also I had this weird letter in my inventory that Simon refused to read ^^). After a bit of research on the Net I found out that I was supposed to have read that letter from Calypso in the beginning, and when I tried in ScummVM on my computer it worked as it was supposed to. Now I can continue and hope that the rest of the game works :)
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The problem will no longer occur in the floppy disk releases of Simon the Sorcerer 1, if you use the next daily snapshot of ScummVM.

Port specific issues aren't mentioned on the compatibility page.
Ingo

Post by Ingo »

I meant this compatibility table: http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#whichgames

Nice to hear that this has now been fixed :)