Newbie guide to ScummVM

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Look on http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php
There is a download there that is called "Windows Installer"
Its the topmost download in a long list of links for all the other platforms, and it is the only download that is linked in boldface.
Just get that one, it's an .exe file that you can doubleclick on to make it run and install ScummVM.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

In that case you downloaded the wrong file.
Try to get the exe file right at the top.
Jester23

Post by Jester23 »

Hi, I am a newbie and have a question.

I have the original Simon the Sorcerer PC game and wondered whether scummVM is compatible with Windows Vista because I haven't found anything to say it is? If it is, which file should I be downloading?

Many thanks in advance!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

It is, you should use the regular win 32 bit binary at the top of the downloads page.
Jester23

Post by Jester23 »

Thank you! I will give it a go..
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

np
Jester23

Post by Jester23 »

It worked, sound and everything.. except my mouse cursor dosn't go in the screen. It works in the Windows bar at the top of the box, but not in the game play screen. Is there any reason why this is happening?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Jester23 wrote:It worked, sound and everything.. except my mouse cursor dosn't go in the screen. It works in the Windows bar at the top of the box, but not in the game play screen. Is there any reason why this is happening?
Once the introduction has ended (or you've pressed Esc enough times to end it), there should be a mouse cursor. If there isn't, then I have no idea.
tedfufu

Post by tedfufu »

My problem is pretty simple but also frustrating. I'm on a mac and I can't get the Scumm program to recognize anything on my computer. Despite the information being there it tells me that it can't find the specified game in the directory. So much work just to play The DIg.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

tedfufu wrote:Despite the information being there it tells me that it can't find the specified game in the directory. So much work just to play The DIg.
Which files are in the folder you're pointing ScummVM to when you try to add the game?
pallybear

Will Vista work?

Post by pallybear »

Ok, so I play day of the tentacle via scummvm and I love it (I have XP)! I want to share the greatness that is DoTT with a girl at work, but she has Vista and can't seem to get the games to work. My question is: does scummvm work for Vista? Will copying the files to a file work as someone stated?
bobdevis

Re: Will Vista work?

Post by bobdevis »

pallybear wrote:Ok, so I play day of the tentacle via scummvm and I love it (I have XP)! I want to share the greatness that is DoTT with a girl at work, but she has Vista and can't seem to get the games to work. My question is: does scummvm work for Vista? Will copying the files to a file work as someone stated?
ScummVM works perfectly on Vista.
What she needs to do is exactly what you did.
- Download and install ScummVM
- Obtain the DOTT data files needed
- Put them all in a directory somewhere
- Point ScummVM to that directory with the 'add game' option
- Play DOTT

I have to warn you that is explicitly forbidden to talk here about how to get the DOTT files to her. Thou Shalt Not Discuss Copyright Infringement On This Forum.
It is however perfectly alright to ask further questions on how to get ScummVM working on Vista. If she still has trouble, ask here what the trouble is EXACTLY. Else we can't help you.
pallybear

Post by pallybear »

bobdevis wrote:
pallybear wrote:Ok, so I play day of the tentacle via scummvm and I love it (I have XP)! I want to share the greatness that is DoTT with a girl at work, but she has Vista and can't seem to get the games to work. My question is: does scummvm work for Vista? Will copying the files to a file work as someone stated?
ScummVM works perfectly on Vista.
What she needs to do is exactly what you did.
- Download and install ScummVM
- Obtain the DOTT data files needed
- Put them all in a directory somewhere
- Point ScummVM to that directory with the 'add game' option
- Play DOTT

I have to warn you that is explicitly forbidden to talk here about how to get the DOTT files to her. Thou Shalt Not Discuss Copyright Infringement On This Forum.
It is however perfectly alright to ask further questions on how to get ScummVM working on Vista. If she still has trouble, ask here what the trouble is EXACTLY. Else we can't help you.
Ok, I paid her a visit, and tried to get to work by extracting the necessary files, but it didn't show up in scummvm. I could barely get DOTT to work by pointing scummvm to the CD drive. Is there anything else I can try to get Curse or monkey island to work?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

pallybear wrote: Ok, I paid her a visit, and tried to get to work by extracting the necessary files, but it didn't show up in scummvm. I could barely get DOTT to work by pointing scummvm to the CD drive. Is there anything else I can try to get Curse or monkey island to work?
Just to rule out the simple explanation, did you point ScummVM to the folder with the data files, or did you just point it at "C"? You can navigate your way down the file hierarchy by double-clicking on the name of a folder.
pallybear

Post by pallybear »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
pallybear wrote: Ok, I paid her a visit, and tried to get to work by extracting the necessary files, but it didn't show up in scummvm. I could barely get DOTT to work by pointing scummvm to the CD drive. Is there anything else I can try to get Curse or monkey island to work?
Just to rule out the simple explanation, did you point ScummVM to the folder with the data files, or did you just point it at "C"? You can navigate your way down the file hierarchy by double-clicking on the name of a folder.
Yes, I made a file on the desk top and named it 'curse' with all the necessary files in it. Then, I opened Scummvm and went /C/ >> Datafiles >> Desktop
but there was nothing there. I even uninstalled/reinstalled Scummvm, and I put the file in My Documents. Then I went /C/ >> My Documents, and it still wasn't there. Any ideas?