Alien Incident

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

I still wonder why people even want to play games (or watch movies) on their mobilephones, the screens are ridiculus small..
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

My brother used to play gameboy with a magnifying glass above the screen (with lights integrated... classy!) to have the impression that the screen was larger... Perhaps people use this kind of gadget on their phones ? :)

It's either this, or because a phone is easier to use in the subway than a desktop with a 24" screen ;)
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

SuperDre wrote:I still wonder why people even want to play games (or watch movies) on their mobilephones, the screens are ridiculus small..
Well that is a matter of opinion, I manage quite well with my 2.8 inch, 240 X 320 QVGA screen on my phone. Many of the games supported in scummVM were made for this resolution, and there are limits to what scalers achieve when displaying such games on large wide-screen monitors. Personally I hate gaming in windowed mode on a large monitor.
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

pncFreak wrote:Well that is a matter of opinion, I manage quite well with my 2.8 inch, 240 X 320 QVGA screen on my phone. Many of the games supported in scummVM were made for this resolution, and there are limits to what scalers achieve when displaying such games on large wide-screen monitors. Personally I hate gaming in windowed mode on a large monitor.
It's not the resolution I'm negative about, it's the small screensize.. and I too hate gaming in windowed mode, but I still haven't seen a game that doesn't scale correctly on a bigger screen with it looking not like playing it on a CRT with the original resolution.. I agree some scalers, especially when using AA, look ugly..
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, I have no problem running games or movies on my iphone, maybe you need glasses:P I don't haul a laptop around, and it's great for trainrides, plaintrips or when I'm simply stuck in a situation where I've got nothing else to do. Plus, I find it kinda cool that I can run my old games on such a small device.
pncFreak

Post by pncFreak »

Jonatan wrote:I find it kinda cool that I can run my old games on such a small device.
Yup, that is some of the charm for me as well. Using a card-deck sized device, packing processing power infinitely larger than the original computer the game was made for, is fun for old nerds :D !

The other day our new employee noticed my Monkey Island ringtone (which means silch to the rest of the working stock), it turned out he had a variant of the same ringtone. (Old) Nerds have a way to recognise each other. He was not aware of scummVM, so I directed to the homepage immediately :)
fred_nd

Post by fred_nd »

Happy to see that it is not only me out there wanting to play Alien Incident again.

A couple of years ago I also contacted House Marquee (and some others) sadly without any answer. I did some reversing on the game data and executables to try and recreate the game, but as you the game is hardcoded and it would in that case be faster to recreate the game lacking the original code.

As a programmer I would easily put down a lot of work converting the old code, if one could get hold of it ;).

I also remember getting the game working in dosbox but only dead slow. I should try again.

/Fred
tumbleweed

Post by tumbleweed »

Well, 5 years have passed from the last time we spoke about that. I remember they did not close the door to share the code, so as i did with Igor, can i ask if those who tried in the past, have plans to insist on the original developers?