Indiana Jones Games with Voice

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

CrisGer

Indiana Jones Games with Voice

Post by CrisGer »

I am so much enjoying Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis i tried some of the other IJ tiles in my collection..and so far, FOA seems to be the only one with voice... does the Infernal Machine have voices? it is too bad the Last Cruasde does not seem to, even tho there is that option in the set up for ScummvM for it... it would be so fun to have the great voices and sounds that Atlantis does...

does anyone know about this..or was there ever a voiced special version done of Last Crusade ? it looks like a fun game too.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

No, Last Crusade does not exist with voices. I bet some of the later action games do though.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Yeah, Infernal Machine has voice but it's not a point-and-click. I'm reasonably certain they got the same guy to do the voice in all the talkie Indy games, too, which gives them a bit of continuity.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

It is funny, that request. Before 1990 no game had voice since the normal media were diskettes with 1.44 MB capacity. Plus, hardly anyone had a sound adapter, so most people were listening to PC speaker sound. The Amiga was a bit more comportable, though, but since it used DD diskettes with 720 KB capacity, there was no sound either. But FA had 11 diskettes anyway, same as Monkey Island 2.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

Nikioko wrote:The Amiga was a bit more comportable, though, but since it used DD diskettes with 720 KB capacity, there was no sound either.
sorry to be anal - amiga dd disk are 880k :)
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

OK I will enjoy Atlantis then it is really really good with the great voices and all the wonderful sound effects.

I will try the Infernal Machine game, it is a bit hard to get running on XP so far...crashes after start up.

and i have Indiana Jones and the Emperors Tomb hopefully that has voice..

I am so grateful that ScummVM supports the Atlantis game and also the Last Crusade. I wonder if anyone has ever tried making a voice pack for Last Crusade...like that project for Monkey Island? whatever happened to the MI voice project? did they finish?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

MI speech is still work in progress. I don't think there have been any other speech pack projects only subtitle translations.
You would have to ask JestarJokin if it's possible to as speech to other games as scummspeaks currently only supports MI1 & 2.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

thank you very much, i tracked down the thread on your project and I am very glad to see you took up the reins and that it is proceeding, i await the results with great interest and will pass on the news to the working group of game develoeprs i am admin of, as we all love these games and it is great to see life being breathed into them so loyally and well.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

CrisGer wrote: I will try the Infernal Machine game, it is a bit hard to get running on XP so far...crashes after start up.
You know, I used to have the same problem a couple of years ago - but I found a solution. What you've got to do is, open Windows Media Player before you run the game. Don't play any music, just open the program. Then run the game, and it'll start and not crash. I have no idea why this works, and you guys can call BS if you want, but try it, it does work.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Let me bs a little maybe the reason that works is it loads the codecs for the videos and audio into memory?

I don't really know just guessing.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Another thing with Infernal Machine is that you need to force Vsync on from the driver settings. If they are off, the game will crash on a faster computer, which would be an everyday computer today as the game is a decade old.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

ah excellent, thanks so much re the Infernal Machine, i was really hopeful to see it as it was LucasArts response to Lara Croft and with the highest graphcis settings it looked at first peek to be quite nice....

both suggestions make a lot of sense, both the one about the Media Player and also the V Sync, i was not sure if that should be run or not.
you need to force Vsync on from the driver settings.
i think i recall there was a setting for that in the set up portion of the start...but did you mean going into the actual vid card driver settings? (in my case i run a NVida 7600)... just wondered...

I shall try again ! thanks again gentlemen. :)
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

How do you force VSynch?

using the game settings or using the Vid card set up ?

(i have a NVida 7600GT)

I am getting another copy of Infernal Machine, just to be sure my old copy was not damaged....

and want to try this on my XP set up
EugeneE

Post by EugeneE »

Nikioko wrote:It is funny, that request. Before 1990 no game had voice since the normal media were diskettes with 1.44 MB capacity. Plus, hardly anyone had a sound adapter, so most people were listening to PC speaker sound. The Amiga was a bit more comportable, though, but since it used DD diskettes with 720 KB capacity, there was no sound either. But FA had 11 diskettes anyway, same as Monkey Island 2.
Well, IIRC, there was that format called Realsound that Access Software developed for their games such as Mean Streets, etc to play digital sound thru the PC speaker.