Broken Sword CORRUPTED Save Games *solved*

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hannes84

Broken Sword CORRUPTED Save Games *solved*

Post by hannes84 »

EDiT: Solved the problem myself, created save games for everyone else to use. Link below.

Original problem:

I bought the Sold Out UK DVD combo of Broken Sword 1 & 2. It came with an outdated version of ScummVM which kept removing my save games randomly on it's own, so I had to start all over again every time. Because of the save file index, which is different in ScummVM version from the original BS game, I was unable to find any save games for the game. When I updated to the latest version of ScummVM, the problem was resolved (it didn't remove the saves anymore) but none of the save games still worked.

After having enough of this, I decided to create my own save games and upload them online, so anyone with the ScummVM version of the game wouldn't have to go through the same problems as I did.
Last edited by hannes84 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

What version of ScummVM are you using? The latest 0.13?
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

The version which came along with the game (0.7.00)- There was no scumm installation required, it opens on it automatically but also runs via other versions.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

hannes84 wrote:The version which came along with the game (0.7.00)- There was no scumm installation required, it opens on it automatically but also runs via other versions.
Your ScummVM is too old. Update it.
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

Jonatan wrote:
hannes84 wrote:The version which came along with the game (0.7.00)- There was no scumm installation required, it opens on it automatically but also runs via other versions.
Your ScummVM is too old. Update it.
will it solve the problem with save games though? can I use the m? ty.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

hannes84 wrote: will it solve the problem with save games though? can I use the m? ty.
There must be a billion bug fixes done since 0.7. Probably not even the devs here remember by heart how much has been fixed since then. You are just not likely to get any useful support for 0.7.
You can find out if your old savegames work with 0.13 by yourself (you don't have much to lose anyway :))
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

Thanks. I updated but it was no help. Savegame.inf had been corrupted (not the save games themselves) and therefor all the save games are useless now and I have to start from 0. :(
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

hannes84 wrote:Thanks. I updated but it was no help. Savegame.inf had been corrupted (not the save games themselves) and therefor all the save games are useless now and I have to start from 0. :(
If memory serves me, savegame.inf is (or was; I don't think it's created any longer) was just an index of the other save files, so it might be possible to rescue them by ...

1) Moving the save files to another folder for safekeeping.

2) Making new "dummy" savegames (e.g. saving over and over in the first room) to recreate savegame.inf.

3) Moving the old save files (except savegame.inf, obviously) back to their old place.

You'd probably have to use the old version to do that though since, as I said, I don't think newer versions create savegame.inf at all.
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

hannes84 wrote:Thanks. I updated but it was no help. Savegame.inf had been corrupted (not the save games themselves) and therefor all the save games are useless now and I have to start from 0. :(
I tried the original saves I found from a fansite. They show up on the Restore game list but naturally the game crashes when you try to open them. I suppose the only way to use save games when using Scumm is to get the savegame.inf and the saves from someone else, but I haven't found any.
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
If memory serves me, savegame.inf is (or was; I don't think it's created any longer) was just an index of the other save files, so it might be possible to rescue them by ...

1) Moving the save files to another folder for safekeeping.

2) Making new "dummy" savegames (e.g. saving over and over in the first room) to recreate savegame.inf.

3) Moving the old save files (except savegame.inf, obviously) back to their old place.

You'd probably have to use the old version to do that though since, as I said, I don't think newer versions create savegame.inf at all.
Yeah, I decided that if I'm going to start again I'll make a back up of everything every time I finish. I've tried just abouut everything but nothing works. Scumm creates a sword1-file now instead of savegame.inf but it's basically the same file with the same symbols in it lol
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

Oh well. If anyone has the save games files and the corresponding inf-file for them, I'd appreciate it. Or if someone knew how to edit either the inf-file or the new scumm version save index so my old saves would work, I'd be mega happy. If not, thanks anyway :)
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

Just to bum everyone out; I started the game again and will post a save games package online for this version after I'm finished. :roll:
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

As promised, here's the link to the saves that I created (works with ScummVM); http://www.revfans.com/media.php?sec=sa ... cc479c53b0

Currently working on BS2 saves.
wjp
ScummVM Developer

Post by wjp »

In the future, please don't delete the description of the original problem. Having that in the archives would help the next person to encounter the same problem.
hannes84

Post by hannes84 »

wjp wrote:In the future, please don't delete the description of the original problem. Having that in the archives would help the next person to encounter the same problem.
I edited the post again with a description of the original problem.