I think I need a clarification on rule 0.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

skotafactor

I think I need a clarification on rule 0.

Post by skotafactor »

I'm still semi-confused about the subject. Let's say I purchased the mac version of MI, but because the floppies aren't formatted for windows, I have no way of putting the files on my computer. Is it then acceptable to download the mac files via internet as long as it's the exact version I purchased?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

The way I have #0 applied here by mods is that even if you have a legal version it is still prohibited to talk about about illegitimately trading copyrighted material on this forum. What is acceptable for you in private may be another thing but regardless on your views of morality, this website needs cover against lawsuits.

I am confident I can find you a tool to copy those floppies, stand by while I google around..

edit:
Well you get lots of useful stuff if you google for "mac floppies windows"
MacDisk seems to do what you need. The free version is nagware I believe, so you don't have to pay. It is the first hit on Google, so you could have kinda found this yourself you now...
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

It is illegal for anyone but the original copyright holder to transfer the game to you. So, unless lucasarts is the uploader, transfer of the game even if you are liscenced it's use, would be illegal. They used to offer you replacement discs for $10, does anyone know if they still offer that?
A perfect example of your question would be my.mp3.com. It would verify that you owned the cd, then let you listen to it anywhere online; basicly placeshifting. Even though both mp3.com and the user owned the cd, it was illegal to transfer the music. It was a great site for artists and I liked the idea of my.mp3. You could listen your music anywhere without resorting to Napster or irc. It's a shame a legal alternative never took it;s place, but I guess there's more money in making people rebuy their music 99 cents at a time or pay a monthly fee.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I think that in this case, asking for help on "how to extract the files from my original MAC disks so I can use them under Windows" doesn't break any rules... If you have legal copies and want to backup them... Where's the problem ?
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Another thing concerning the Rule 0 (and the copyright Faq) : It's also certainly legal to download fan-made (AGI) games that are freely distributed.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Strangerke wrote:I think that in this case, asking for help on "how to extract the files from my original MAC disks so I can use them under Windows" doesn't break any rules... If you have legal copies and want to backup them... Where's the problem ?
It is perfectly legal to ask that. However "dowloading the exact same version from the internet" is not a legal solution to the problem. By the way if you need to read macintosh disks on Windows, there is a section about that on the wiki documentation.
Strangerke wrote:Another thing concerning the Rule 0 (and the copyright Faq) : It's also certainly legal to download fan-made (AGI) games that are freely distributed.
It is legal to distribute and download games for which the copyright holders gave their permission. Fan-made games (if they do not breach copyrights) are in that category. As are freeware releases of the games that are availabe on the ScummVM website download page (e.g. Drascula, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Beneath a Steel Sky).
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

I was specifically mentionning the AGI fan-made games, as they do not appear on the ScummVM download page nor in the Copyright FAQ page...
skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

Haven't people that own the NES version of Maniac Mansion been downloading roms to run it on ScummVm? Is this any different?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Not necessarily it is possible to dump your own cartridge of Maniac Mansion to use with ScummVM.
sanguinehearts

Post by sanguinehearts »

skotafactor wrote:Haven't people that own the NES version of Maniac Mansion been downloading roms to run it on ScummVm? Is this any different?
I dumped my own cartridges, its not something your average user would manage though.
The equipment is quite expensive too.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

skotafactor wrote:Haven't people that own the NES version of Maniac Mansion been downloading roms to run it on ScummVm? Is this any different?
Look, dude, rule #0 is not about what is practical or morally justified, it is primarily about protecting the ScummVM project against lawyers.
If you feel you are OK with downloading something, there is no one that will stop you but that doesn't mean you should discuss it here. Before you know it, this site owner will have a DMCA take-down notice in his mail, or some crap like that and then we are all screwed.

No, life is not fair, nor is law always just, nor does freedom of speech apply in all cases it ideally should.
skotafactor

Post by skotafactor »

Okay, well thank you guys for clearing this up for me. Sorry I'm such a noob. :?
Dark-Star

Post by Dark-Star »

sanguinehearts wrote:I dumped my own cartridges, its not something your average user would manage though.
The equipment is quite expensive too.
I dumped EPROMS on a prototype board connected to the LPT port on my PC. It took about four 74xx chips and a 5V power supply. Not exactly "expensive", but not for everyone either ;-)

-Darkstar
ovvldc

Post by ovvldc »

Dark-Star wrote:I dumped EPROMS on a prototype board connected to the LPT port on my PC. It took about four 74xx chips and a 5V power supply. Not exactly "expensive", but not for everyone either ;-)
Also not something that the original makers of the console were very enamoured of. Though I have no idea if it was illegal then or is now.

Best wishes,
Oscar