Curse of Monkey Island save problem in OSX

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

caenicus

Curse of Monkey Island save problem in OSX

Post by caenicus »

Hello all,
As the subject title suggests, I am running the Curse of Monkey Island on ScummVM on a Mac and seem to be having problems getting my game to save. This problem is also keeping me from turning on subtitles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-T.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Curse of Monkey Island save problem in OSX

Post by eriktorbjorn »

caenicus wrote:As the subject title suggests, I am running the Curse of Monkey Island on ScummVM on a Mac and seem to be having problems getting my game to save. This problem is also keeping me from turning on subtitles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
You don't mention what kind of problem. Not even a hint.

It used to be that the most common problem with saving was that the Save Path setting didn't point to any writable folder, but that wouldn't keep you from turning on subtitles.

Another problem that comes up every now and then is F5 not working. That's discussed in this thread, for instance.
caenicus

Post by caenicus »

As I said, I'm having trouble saving my game, not locating the save menu. (I understand the function key ;)) When I save, it doesn't write anything. I'd love to give more of a 'hint' but there is no error occurring that would allow me to do so.

UPDATE: I'm looking in my game settings right now. My save path is set to "default", my extra path is set to "none", and my game path is set to "/Users/caenicus/Games/The Curse of Monkey Island". Could it be the spaces in the folder name that are causing problems?

Thanks!
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I don't think spaces is the issue. I have several games with spaces in the folder name and I can save them.

The Default save path in the game settings means that it is using the path defined in the general ScummVM options (if you click on Options in the ScummVM Launcher).

Edit: you should also check if you get error messages when trying to save by starting Console.app (see FAQ 5.6) or by running ScummVM from the terminal.
andrewg

Post by andrewg »

I have exactly the same problem.

Terminal message is

WARNING: FSNode::OpenForReading: FSNode does not exist!

any idea how to fix this?
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

I've never had a problem saving Curse of Monkey Island on my Mac. What ScummVM version are you using?
andrewg

Post by andrewg »

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

When you say you can't save, what exactly does that mean? Do you get an error dialog by ScummVM saying that saving failed?
Or do you meant when you go into the load dialog, it doen't list the game you just saved?
andrewg

Post by andrewg »

doesn't list the game that you just saved
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

I'm on MacOSX Tiger and I had no problems ( just
create a single Data from the 2 CD of the game :oops:).

In my case the game automatically saves to the
Reference's file of scummvm, but do you have try to create a new
folder that you put as the destination of your Save
Path.

Sorry if my English is pretty pathetic, I hope enough be
understandable ...
cmoretrix

Post by cmoretrix »

Hi, I'm also having this issue... F1 to get to the save dialogue then when clicking on the slot it asks for a name (without showing a screenshot) then when I press enter it goes back to the game.

If I go back into load game there is nothing saved

I also can't get subtitles and have set my save path to a specified point on the HDD so cant see that being an issue...

Has anyone found a fix for this? It's so far the only stumbling point in an otherwise glorious game :D
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Don't use F1, period. Use F5 or Ctrl-Ft
cmoretrix

Post by cmoretrix »

stunning! thanks man...