7th Guest Music Issue

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ozymanhattan

7th Guest Music Issue

Post by ozymanhattan »

Hey all,

New to the forums, but not completely new w/ ScummVM. Awesome that the 7th Guest is working!!

I searched and didn't find this exact problem: I've ripped the 2 audio tracks from both CDs. For some reason, the intro music will play over the credits (track1.mp3), but track2.mp3 (the big track from CD2 that's roughly 38-40 MB in size) won't play. Speech works correctly, but the music in the game itself is non existant.

I tried converting the mp3 to ogg and nothing. Track1.mp3 always will play, but track2.mp3 doesn't. Weird, huh??

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for your hard and continuous work!
spookypeanut
ScummVM Developer

Post by spookypeanut »

The track from the 2nd CD only plays over the credits at the very end of the game. If it's the in-game music that you're missing, it is MIDI based: it might be worth checking the volume settings / music driver.
ozymanhattan

Post by ozymanhattan »

That makes sense. I started messing with the sound settings, and I had to override the global audio defaults and set it to Adlib. Any other setting caused a message "please wait while general midi drivers are loaded" and no music.

Seemes like the Adlib music is kinda simplistic. I remembered the in game music as being more CD like and vibrant. Is that due to the MT-32 emulation not being supported, or am I crazy?

Is there any other Adlib driver that I could try maybe?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ozymanhattan wrote: Seemes like the Adlib music is kinda simplistic. I remembered the in game music as being more CD like and vibrant. Is that due to the MT-32 emulation not being supported, or am I crazy?

Is there any other Adlib driver that I could try maybe?
MIDI will usually sound a lot better than AdLib, so if you can get that to work there should be a noticeable improvement. (I don't know anything about MT-32 emulation.) The name of the MIDI driver depends on your operating system though, and I don't think you mentioned which one you're using. It may be called "Windows MIDI", "ALSA", "CoreAudio", etc.
ozymanhattan

Post by ozymanhattan »

I do have a Windows MIDI option, but when I set it there, the music goes away.

I also have "WARNING: Unsupported XMIDI Controller 114 (0x72)!" errors in the ScummVM window, but that appears even when the music worked on Adlib.
Last edited by ozymanhattan on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ozymanhattan wrote: I also have "WARNING: Unsupported XMIDI Controller 114 (0x72)!" errors in the ScummVM window, but that appears even when the music worked on Adlib.
I believe those warnings are fairly, perhaps even completely, harmless. Could it be a problem with volume settings? I know Windows XP had an easily located setting specifically for MIDI. (Vista, on the other hand, is so "user-friendly" that I can't even figure out where to look for it...)
ozymanhattan

Post by ozymanhattan »

I feel like such an idiot!!!!!

My SW Synth volume was all the way down for some goofy reason. That solved my issue. Music sounds much better with MIDI.

Thanks again for all your help.

-ozymanhattan