ScummVM ToolBox - A windows frontend for the ScummVM Tools

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

bgbennyboy

ScummVM ToolBox - A windows frontend for the ScummVM Tools

Post by bgbennyboy »

If a few people could test this for me, I'd be very grateful. If anyone can clear up some of the things listed under 'known issues' that would also be very welcome.

What does it do?
It adds a friendly, quick and easy frontend to the command line tools (the additional tools that are included with the windows daily builds).
It provides step-by-step instructions.
It automatically downloads and unpacks the ScummVM Tools - the user doesnt have to do anything but run the program.
It manages temp files and cleanes them up automatically if a tool fails.
It moves completed files to an area that you specify.
It includes the necessary encoding tools such as lame and oggenc.

Screenshots
#1 #2 #3

What do I need to run it?
You'll need the .NET framework 2.0 (you'll probably have this by now, if not just go to windows update and get it from there).

Download
This isnt a final release - I need people to test this and do their best to break it. Some known issues are listed below, if you find any others please let me know.

**Download ScummVM ToolBox 0.1 Beta**

Known issues
*If you cancel when compressing .BUN or .SAN files the tempfiles arent deleted, this is because the BUN and SAN compression tools work differently to the others. I should be able to fix this soon.
*SAGA - I dont have any SAGA games so I dont know what the output files from compress_saga are named.
*Decompile scripts - I dont have any Broken Sword 2 or Legend of Kyrandia scripts to try this with so these tasks are untested.
*Decompile scripts - the file extension for Broken Sword 2 and Kyra scripts might not be .dmp - I've just assumed it is because thats the extension that dumped SCUMM scripts use.
*Extraction tools - support for these isnt added yet because I dont possess the obscure games that they support.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Nice work!

Haven't tried it much, but I like the interface. I've been to mattahan's website (the guy who provided the icons) but I can't find them :(
Qvist

Post by Qvist »

The program downloaded scummvm + tools in the temp folder (and the tools were copied to the right folder) but the files never got deleted from the tempfolder. Or is it a feature?
bgbennyboy

Post by bgbennyboy »

Thanks for trying it :)

md5: The icons can be found in the various gant packages.

Qvist: The temp folder will be deleted in the final release, it was just disabled in this build so that I could check that the file copying and extracting was working correctly.
Guybrush Peepwood

Post by Guybrush Peepwood »

Great tool, I was looking for something just like this. I'm compressing Broken Sword 2 at the moment so I'll let you know if it works. One question - Can I use the BS2 tool to compress BS1 files? I guess it should work since they are the same kind of files.
Guybrush Peepwood

It works! You're my hero bgbennyboy, I'd have thought there'd be more interest for a tool like this.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Guybrush Peepwood wrote:Great tool, I was looking for something just like this. I'm compressing Broken Sword 2 at the moment so I'll let you know if it works. One question - Can I use the BS2 tool to compress BS1 files? I guess it should work since they are the same kind of files.
To quote the README file:
Please note that compress_sword2 will only work with the four speech/music files in Broken Sword 2. It will not work with any of the other *.clu files, nor will it work with the speech files from Broken Sword 1.
Broken Sword 1 and 2 use different compression methods. The files just happen to have similar names. For Broken Sword 1, you want compress_sword1, not compress_sword2.
Guybrush Peepwood

eriktorbjorn wrote:To quote the README file:
Please note that compress_sword2 will only work with the four speech/music files in Broken Sword 2. It will not work with any of the other *.clu files, nor will it work with the speech files from Broken Sword 1.
Broken Sword 1 and 2 use different compression methods. The files just happen to have similar names. For Broken Sword 1, you want compress_sword1, not compress_sword2.
Thanks erik, hopefully bgbenny will be able to implement BS1 in a future version.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

I have yet to try the program myself, however this looks great and will surely help a lot of people who do not feel comfortable with the command prompt window.
jtan

Post by jtan »

I downloaded the toolbox to my scummvm folder, it asks to download the tools, downloaded all, but still not working - continues with the message "Scummvm Tools is missing", but it's already installed.

There are some specific folder to displaced it?

Thanks!
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

jtan wrote:I downloaded the toolbox to my scummvm folder, it asks to download the tools, downloaded all, but still not working - continues with the message "Scummvm Tools is missing", but it's already installed.

There are some specific folder to displaced it?

Thanks!
Maybe the frontend is designed for the 080 tools? The 090 tools have been recently released, and may have changed.