PSX versions of HE games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Covarr

PSX versions of HE games

Post by Covarr »

I have a fairly large collection of Humongous Entertainment games for various systems, and I want to share these games with him via the Wii port of ScummVM. This has worked great for the PC and MAC games that I have, but I can't find any information on whether or not ScummVM supports the PSX version of Pajama Sam 3, which I don't have for any other system, and the datafiles page doesn't mention. Does anybody know if it'll work?
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The answer is on the compatibility page for that game: no the PSX version of Pajama Sam 3 is not (and never will be) supported.
Covarr

Post by Covarr »

Whoa, I didn't notice the games had individual compatibility pages. I scoured the wiki and didn't find anything like that. I guess this means I'll have to buy a new copy of this game.

Thanks for the fast reply! :)
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

criezy wrote:(and never will be) supported.
That's a bit harsh, because you never know if someone is willing to put time into getting the PSX version to work (it's very unlikely someone will)... Never say Never.. hehe..
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

True. Should have said "very unlikely" instead of "never". :oops:
But the fault is only half mine as the compatibility page also says "never".
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

criezy wrote:True. Should have said "very unlikely" instead of "never". :oops:
But the fault is only half mine as the compatibility page also says "never".
haha.. and I was a bit harsh on you.. ;)
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

The PSX versions of HE games don't use the SCUMM engine. A custom game engine would need to be created, for those two PSX ports. Which would end up been a PSX emulator is many aspects I expect.

Never isn't extreme, considering it is very unlikely anyone would work on that, and even less likely it would be added into ScummVM.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

He he. And next request would be support for DVD player versions of HE games :P

Eugene
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

There is a DVD player version? :shock:

I don't think there was any request to add support for the PSX version of HE games there. And everybody seems at least to agree that it is very unlikely it will happen. But the point being made by SuperDre is that "very unlikely" does not equal "never". The chance of it to happen may be very small but it is not null.

It reminds me of a similar discussion on this forum in the past (I can't remember the exact subject; was it on the merge with FreeSCI?).

Now if we were speaking of adding support for Doom... :wink:
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

criezy wrote:There is a DVD player version? :shock:
Yeah, though I was not able to find information about them quickly, here is info in Dutch and here is some more. I have version in box similar to one shown in second article. AFAIK, 3 games were released: Putt Zoo, Freddi2 and Pajama3.
criezy wrote: It reminds me of a similar discussion on this forum in the past (I can't remember the exact subject; was it on the merge with FreeSCI?).
Don't compare apples and oranges. Neither me nor Kirben aren't interested in adding support for PSX HE games. And besides us nobody is interested in those games. Well, cyx helped a lot, but only because it was a challenge with Wiz code.
criezy wrote: Now if we were speaking of adding support for Doom... :wink:
Yes! We already support Tetris. Doom is next! 8)

Eugene
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

sev wrote:
criezy wrote:There is a DVD player version? :shock:
Yeah, though I was not able to find information about them quickly, here is info in Dutch and here is some more. I have version in box similar to one shown in second article. AFAIK, 3 games were released: Putt Zoo, Freddi2 and Pajama3.
That's quite interesting, actually. I had never heard of that either.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sev wrote: Yes! We already support Tetris. Doom is next! 8)
Well, there is that arcade sequence in The Feeble Files... but if I got my terminology straight, it's more of a rail shooter and a very short one at that. :)
derboo

Post by derboo »

Maniac Mansion's compatibility page doesn't list the japanese Famicom version...

I suppose that would be another "most likely never" game, though, doesn't seem to use the Scumm-Engine.