Scummvm 0.13 coming to psp?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

The new SVN build is done. I've only had a quick look around but it looks like RTZ is working perfectly now. I've added in the new modern theme to both builds while I was at it - thought I'd already done it but clearly not.

Regarding Kyrandia - I'm assuming you are using the svn14 build. Someone sneaked out a new kyra.dat when I wasn't looking. I've updated the download with this newer SVN version so it will start up ok now. Also, I've noticed that I have to copy the kyra.dat into my LOK folder on the PSP, its not enough just to have it in the scummvm folder. Make sure to update the eboot while you are at it as I've just fixed a bug that stopped the sfx playing in LOK on v14.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Confirmed! Return to Zork is perfectly working now!
Best regards to both Thebluegr and Pix!

Time to overcome my childhood fears regarding RTZ.

Funnily enough, I've been playing the old Infocom's TEXT classic lately (along with "A Mind Forever Voyaging"). Beautiful games. Let's see how RTZ holds up.

Hmmm... I remember I've had friend with Leather Goddess of Phobos 2. Might as well bug him about the game and see if it works!
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

Odd bug on version 0.14(with 'old' and this latest one too):

Only on DOTT and Sam and Max have I tried it(talkie versions), and the music is at a very low volume. Inaudibly low. With SCUMMVM music volume and PSP volume at max and I can only hear it if I put my ear next to the speaker. Then the Sam'nMax inro jumps in with "FRIENDS?!" and I go deaf.

I thought maybe something went wrong when I compressed from monster.sou to .so3(mp3) and .sog(vorbis), but with all three, the music can't be heard. Speech and sound effects are a-ok.

I went back to your 0.13 version just to check, and music is at a normal volume(using .sog) and perfectly audible.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Hmm... I'll check it out tommorow morning.

Gotta study for my tests now.
If it's same on my end we should use the bug tracker.
Cirno

Post by Cirno »

Yup, I can confirm that
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Hold off on any bug reports for now. This is the sort of fault I might have created so I'll have a go with a clean build first and see if its still there. I don't think its anything I've done but lets make sure before anyone here wastes time looking for a bug that doesn't exist.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

The bug didn't take much tracking down and it was my fault. I've fixed it and updated all the builds. If you find any more let me know.
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

Most awesome, will try it now.

* DOTT, Sam & Max and for good measure, Indy Atlantis talkie(all in .sog) audio is fine now, thanks. Music, speech and sfx.
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

In a moment of inspiration, decided to try another game I was having problems with: Broken Sword 2.

I started raplaying it from your(Pix) version 0.13. And in that version as well as 0.14, my game always hangs+crash/reboots whenever I arrive at Quaramonte. The cutscene plays when they get off the ship, but then the memory card reads, stops and the game freezes and shuts off the PSP.

I created a savegame after that point in my PC, then loaded it in the PSP and it runs. But it's a lot more unstable than usual. I've had random crashes that don't repeat in the same spot(after rebooting the PSP) but in Quaramonte, it's more often, as well as having the tendency to crash mid-save, corrupting the save entirely.

So out of curiosity I put SCUMMVM's official 0.13 release and it works fine. It smoothly loads up Quaramonte without a hitch after the cutscene. Also after a while walking around/talking/etc and saving, haven't crashed.

Everything is shoved in a single folder. Compressed music1/2 and speech1/2 from .clu to mp3 but that was only recently to see if it made a difference. It still crashed in its original form. Also using the ogg alternative audio pack from the SCUMMVM download page, deleting the flacs.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Its strange that there are problems with BS2 as I've not done anything to it. There are more engines in my build so I'm wondering if lack of memory could be a problem? I'll have a look anyway. If you could send me a savegame from where it crashes that would save a bit of time.
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

http://files.filefront.com/bs2+saveszip ... einfo.html

It's the one called "g". Use the manacles on the cable, skip through the cutscenes then the quaramonte cutscene should load and hang after.

Savegame "h" I created in my PC to test on the PSP. Walking around, talking, changing scene(e.g., going up the stairs) or trying to save may crash it for whatever reason. Savegame "i" was made with official SCUMMVM 0.13 when I was testing.

Thanks for taking your time with this.

If it is a lack of memory, would make sense since it used to crash at random intervals too, especially after playing for a prolonged period and being 'fixed' with just a reboot. Hence my multiple save spots. I always saved before changing location if I'd done something in one scene for fear of it crashing.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Thanks for the savegame. I've had a look and it crashed on my PSP just as you described. I then made a new eboot with a load of engines removed and it worked fine. I've since managed to fix it just by removing what I'd call the unneeded engines from all my PSP builds (specifically AGI (not much use without a keyboard), M4, CRUISE, CINE & PARALLACTION). Hopefully everything should work now if you want to try it out again.

I'm assuming that the problem was a lack of memory but I'm hardly certain. Maybe one of those developmental engines is taking up more than its fair share. Out of interest, are you using a fat PSP as well? It may not even be an issue on slim PSP's with the extra memory.

I might play around with this a bit more some time and see if I can track it to a particular engine but I've had enough rebuilding for now.
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

I'll be sure to check it out and let you know, many thanks again.

Incidentally, I'm using a slim. Recently upgraded to CFW 5.00 m33-6(but I was having the same prob back with 4.01 m33-2). No plugins.

*edit:

It definitely fixed the Quaramonte loading, and I've been able to save without having it hang(so far). However, moving in and out of the room up the 'stairs' gives me a 50/50 chance of it hanging. This may or may not be a problem with your build, I'd have to try again with the official 0.13 . But no need to worry about it, if it gets too annoying I'll just use the official release for BS2 and yours for the others.

On another note, is the igor.zbl file I saw there in any relation to possible Igor: Objective Ukisomething compatibility? Or am I conjecturing too much(cuz I recall reading something about it being near impossible to do?).
Last edited by Ephaelon on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

Ephaelon wrote:I'll be sure to check it out and let you know, many thanks again.

Incidentally, I'm using a slim. Recently upgraded to CFW 5.00 m33-6(but I was having the same prob back with 4.01 m33-2). No plugins.
Were you using dual or single eboot version?
Ephaelon

Post by Ephaelon »

Single eboot.

Is there a difference? Should I use dual?