Sam and Max English voices with french subtitles.

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Toto3310

Sam and Max English voices with french subtitles.

Post by Toto3310 »

Hi,
I own both versions of sam and max one in english and one in french. I'd like to make a mix of those version to play to Sam and Max with the English voices and the french subtitles.
Is it possible and if it is, thanks show me how proceed :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

All the voices are stored inside the MONSTER.SOU file. You can try copying the english MONSTER.SOU inside your french version of Sam'n'Max, which will probably yield the results you want :)
Toto3310

Post by Toto3310 »

My french Sam And max have a monster.SOG file and english a monster.SOU If a i put the english file .SOU in the french sam and max folder i get this error
Startsfsound failed to load sound
And if i rename this file .sog scummvm freeze.
:(
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Toto3310 wrote:My french Sam And max have a monster.SOG file and english a monster.SOU If a i put the english file .SOU in the french sam and max folder i get this error
Startsfsound failed to load sound
And if i rename this file .sog scummvm freeze.
:(
Surely you don't mean to say that your original Sam & Max included a monster.sog file? That's quite impossible, since that file is created from a monster.sou file by ScummVM's compression tools. Simply renaming a monster.sou file monster.sog definitely wouldn't work, since the file wouldn't contain the kind of data that ScummVM expects.

Anyway, I wouldn't assume that the sound file from one version automatically works with another version. At least not if one version is a CD version, and the other is a floppy version. I don't know if that's the case here.
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

Swapping monsters in S&M won't work.

Your original French version has a SOG file? Shame on you, Toto. You're really begging for a ban :)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

The scripts hard code offsets into the MONSTER.SOU files, so it's impossible to exchange them between different versions of a game.
Toto3310

Post by Toto3310 »

My original french sam and max is a floppy version.There only voices during cutscenes. It have a .sou file. But i didn't like this version. So i think i have to play the game in total english without french subtitles.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

that's true
i have the french talkie version of sam and max
i just checked, the file is: monster.sog
clem

Post by clem »

that's true
odd.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

clem wrote:
that's true
odd.
Not at all. This is just warezed illegal version. Okay, it may come on a disk, but then it should feature CD-R, CD-RW, or same for DVD on it. No way that file name could appear with any original.

Eugene
hellnano

Post by hellnano »

the same for the spanish version...

text in spanish and voice in english = crash

cya
sheen

Post by sheen »

Hummm.... and there is no solution ?
I've the English Monster.sog and the French Game too, I'd like to make a blend of the two games.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sheen wrote:Hummm.... and there is no solution ?
I've the English Monster.sog and the French Game too, I'd like to make a blend of the two games.
This was said earlier in the thread:
fingolfin wrote: The scripts hard code offsets into the MONSTER.SOU files, so it's impossible to exchange them between different versions of a game.
Seems like a pretty clear answer to me.
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

And please, don't ask for help when you clearly are using warez versions. (If you have a monster.sog (not .sou) file when you haven't compressed the file yourself, you have a warez version).