Windowed scummvm larger than "normal3x"?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lukeman3000
Got a warning

Windowed scummvm larger than "normal3x"?

Post by lukeman3000 »

Is it possible to make the windowed version of a scummvm game session larger than normal3x? I like the normal scaler because it doesn't play with the graphics that much (as opposed to some of the others which make them look pastel-like), but when I play Monkey Island 3, specifically, it's just kinda small on my screen.

I know I can fullscreen it, but that's besides the point in this case. I have reasons for playing windowed (multitasking), and it'd be nice to get it higher than normal3x. Why not normal 4x or the like?

Is it possible to set my own resolution? If so, how do I know what aspect ratio any particular game uses? I know I'm getting ahead of myself because I don't even know if this is possible, but if you can set a specific resolution somehow (such as 800x600 or 1280x1024), is it possible set specific resolutions for each games so that all games do not run at the same aspect ratio?

Basically I just want to be able to enlarge the windowed version of scummvm beyond normal3x without changing the aspect ratio of all other games that I play. It looks like scummvm automatically detects and sets the aspect ratio for any given game, and I like that, but mi3 is just kinda small on my screen when I play it windowed...

Oh yeah, one more thing, is it possible to set the mouse capture (ctrl+m) enabled by default? It is becoming only mildly tedious hitting that every time I launch scummvm...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Windowed scummvm larger than "normal3x"?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

lukeman3000 wrote:Is it possible to make the windowed version of a scummvm game session larger than normal3x? I like the normal scaler because it doesn't play with the graphics that much (as opposed to some of the others which make them look pastel-like), but when I play Monkey Island 3, specifically, it's just kinda small on my screen.
The native resolution for Monkey Island 3 is 640x480 pixels, so a 3x scaler on that would be 1920x1440. If that's "kinda small", I envy you. The best resolution I can get on my monitor at work is 1280x1024. :)
lukeman3000 wrote:is it possible set specific resolutions for each games so that all games do not run at the same aspect ratio?
You can select different scalers for different games. The Options dialog provides default settings, but the Edit Game dialog allows you to override many of them (including the scaler) for individual games. In fact that might explain why Monkey Island 3 looks "kinda small". Many of the games that ScummVM supports have a native resolution of 320x200 pixels, and unless I'm mistaken the default scaler is only applied to them. The idea was probably to make all games run at approximately the same resolution with just one default setting, so if you want Monkey Island 3 to run with a scaler you have to set that explicitly.

(I don't have ScummVM on this computer, so I'm writing from memory. That's why I'm a bit uncertain on some details.)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Most games have a resolution of 320x200. 3x means 960x600. If you have a 1024x768 screen, there will be a frame.
I am actually waitng for 4x, which would make 1280x800 which fits perfectly on my 1280x1024 screen. On my notebook with 1600x1200, even 5x (1600x1000) would fit.
SpaceRat

Post by SpaceRat »

Your poverty makes me sick :wink: :twisted:

On my 24" TFT with 1920*1080 (FullHD) resolution, I would even have use for a 5x scaler ...

So yes, we need larger scalers than 3x.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

SpaceRat wrote:Your poverty makes me sick :wink: :twisted:
On my 24" TFT with 1920*1080 (FullHD) resolution, I would even have use for a 5x scaler ...
What we need a random resolution scaler so this problem will go away once and for all.
I was thinking of making it my summer project to figure out how to do this using OpenGL.
No promises though, it's probably to complicated but a nice opportunity to learn some more C++ nonetheless.

Oh and btw, I don't think many people here are impressed with big toys. This is not Myspace :D
nickbr

Post by nickbr »

bobdevis wrote:
SpaceRat wrote:Your poverty makes me sick :wink: :twisted:
What we need a random resolution scaler so this problem will go away once and for all.
I was thinking of making it my summer project to figure out how to do this using OpenGL.
No promises though, it's probably to complicated but a nice opportunity to learn some more C++ nonetheless.

Oh and btw, I don't think many people here are impressed with big toys. This is not Myspace :D
Agreed. But it would be nice to get a "random resolution scaler." Instead of scaling by 2x or 3x, it could just scale to the vertical resolution. I say vertical because I assume most displays people are using are widescreen now.

Although I've been considering digging out an old CRT monitor from storage to be authentic to how I was playing these games 15 years ago.