Monkey Island 1 Speech Patch WIP20090311

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Monkey Island 1 Speech Patch WIP20090311

Post by ezekiel000 »

I'm not really sure if it's appropriate to post this here but it's ScummVM related. Anyway the first work in progress build of the MI1 Speech Patch has been released:
http://speechproject.mixnmojo.com/

All conversations between the Lookout and Guybrush are voiced as well as a few other characters.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

That's not how I imagined the lookout's voice at all.

Kudos for the project, though.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Just watched the video and I agree with comment about the lookout's voice! I sort of imagined a large guy with a grey beard would have a deeper voice or at least sort of like McAllister's (the captain) voice from Simpsons?!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Guybrush's voice is spot-on, great choice!

I agree about the lookout, his voice sounds all wrong for this guy...
Mim

Post by Mim »

I like Guybrush's voice but not Lookout's. He is old man and I believe elderly actor (not young man trying to imitate him with high-pitched voice) would be best option. Still, thanks for this great project. :D
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The lookout's voice is surprising at first... but I like it (I am not sure it was intended but it made me laugh).
As for Guybrush's voice I agree with the previous posters: spot-on.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

criezy wrote:The lookout's voice is surprising at first... but I like it (I am not sure it was intended but it made me laugh).
As for Guybrush's voice I agree with the previous posters: spot-on.
The whole game is intended to make you laugh and if the voices add to this then it's done right (At least that's what I tell myself "Their laughing WITH you" :D )

Not everyone is going to like the voices we select as with all stories without audio (games/novels/comics) everyone hears their own version in their head of what they think the voice should be.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

And sometimes a voice just plain sucks:)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Somehow, Guybrush's voice let me think of Wally. I think, it's the similar modulation as heard in CMI.
Anyway, I certainly appreciate the effort.
raina

Post by raina »

The lookout's voice wasn't as bad as the comments lead me to believe but I generally agree with them. What bothered me was the occasional clipping on Guybrush's lines. The voice volume is overwhelming the mic and the result is ugly distortion.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

I'm not very good (more very bad...) in english, don't be ungry if i makes mistakes there are not provocations. :oops:

So (i forget^^), hi everyone ! :)

What a good idea do make the voices for Money Island 1. :o

I want try-it. ^^

But i don't have understood (sorry if it's a stupid question) : This Patch is compatible or not with Scummvm ?
If it's work whith scummvm, how use it and install it (i have tried so many times on my mac T_T ... ).

Thanks.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

It is a patch that you apply to your MI1 game files and then you play those modified game files with ScummVM.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Harrypoppins wrote:I'm not very good (more very bad...) in english, don't be ungry if i makes mistakes there are not provocations. :oops:

So (i forget^^), hi everyone ! :)

What a good idea do make the voices for Money Island 1. :o

I want try-it. ^^

But i don't have understood (sorry if it's a stupid question) : This Patch is compatible or not with Scummvm ?
If it's work whith scummvm, how use it and install it (i have tried so many times on my mac T_T ... ).

Thanks.
First off Harry the files that you can download and try at the moment are a very very small part of the whole game.
It's a 'Proof-of-concept'

If you describe your problem it might be easier to give help. As you have a mac you will need the .dmg version.
I'm familiar with Win/Linux but not Mac but I assume that there's not too much difference so I will describe the Windows way to install.

So the Windows version of the M1 speech project is a zip file. This is a compressed file/folder and on Windows needs to be uncompressed first if you want to get to the files. As I don't have much experience with Mac I don't know what a .dmg file is but if it's this part you are stuck on then you will need to do a search and learn what .dmg files are.

So I'll carry on with the Windows tutorial. If .dmg format is a compression type for Mac then it should be similar.
The zip file needs to be unzipped into a new folder.

You need the full PC CD version of the game. You can't use Amiga/Atari/PC floppy/PC demo. You can use the CD version with just the first game or the CD version with the first and second Monkey Island games.
With the CD in the CD/DVD drive you need to open/explore the contents of the CD and find 2 files:
Monkey.000
Monkey.001
They might be called:
Monkey1.000
Monkey1.001
What they're called doesn't matter though. Just copy the 2 files into the new folder which has the contents of the zip file in it as well.
In the zip file is a readme text file with instructions so I'm sure the Mac version will have the same. For Windows all that needs to be done is double-click the file called 'Install.bat' which comes with the zip file. 'Install.bat' makes the files ready to be played with speech and just takes a few seconds.
A .bat file is a set of instructions. I hope that helps as I don't know myself what the Apple version of a batch(.bat) file is.

So now you need to start your version of ScummVM. Again remember I don't know Mac but with Windows/Linux you choose 'Add Game' from the ScummVM menu which gives you a list of all the folders/directories on your Mac. You need to select that new folder which you used for the zip file contents and the CD Monkey/1.000 and 001 files. When you select this folder you should see Secret of Monkey Island. Select that to play.
I don't know if you're aware of how the music works with the CD version of the first Monkey Island game. It can be converted so it can be played direct from the hard drive but that's another tutorial. Try keeping the CD in the tray when you play the game.

(By the way ezekiel is the monster file and the redbook audio happy to co-exist with each other. I don't feel like going back and trying for myself. It looked like Harry really needed some help but trying to make instructions as clear as possible always takes longer than I'd hoped.)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

The Mac (OSX only) and Linux install scripts have a gui, but do have a text back-up if you prefer which is similar to the windows install script. There is a readme file with the patches.

Yeah the patch works with the CD audio no problem. I'm not very good with writing instructions I always miss out things that I assume everyone knows.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Thank you guys. ^^

But i'am stupid, :oops: on this site (nb: good job) you explain it's only for the english (mine is french) version, sorry... perhaps someone know how use-it on a french version.