Fate of Atlantis: talking is english but text is spanish

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dantastikk

Fate of Atlantis: talking is english but text is spanish

Post by dantastikk »

I'd really love to play the good old Indy game from back in the day, but while running scummvm on PC and on DS all the words on the screen are spanish, and the talkie is in english. Wouldn't be so much of a problem if i could read spanish, but i can't. :?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Gee, that wouldn't have happened if you had bought the game, instead of downloading it from a random website :-(.

Forum rule #0 says: No warez. Sorry pal, you won't get help.
dantastikk

Post by dantastikk »

:oops:

i kinda figured that would be the problem, seeing as it was a burnt copy on a cd-rw in the free bin at a yard sale. Thanks for the advice
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

fingolfin wrote:Gee, that wouldn't have happened if you had bought the game, instead of downloading it from a random website :-(.

How do you know he downloaded it? Anyway, I have the Talkie in English and applieds a patch from gandimann.de which made the subtitles German.
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

Yes, there's also a patch for spanish subtitles with the english talkie-version, but ScummVM can't give support to those patchings as they're not official (though they should work perfectly well).
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Nikioko wrote:
fingolfin wrote:Gee, that wouldn't have happened if you had bought the game, instead of downloading it from a random website :-(.

How do you know he downloaded it? Anyway, I have the Talkie in English and applieds a patch from gandimann.de which made the subtitles German.
Yeah but if he has the game patched with a Spanish translation but doesn't understand Spanish, it's reasonable to assume he didn't do it.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

BeleG wrote:Yes, there's also a patch for spanish subtitles with the english talkie-version, but ScummVM can't give support to those patchings as they're not official (though they should work perfectly well).
Well, it works perfectly because the patch designer had an eyeon ScummVM compatibility. There are also aother patches for new German orthography and translation of the credit screens.
ezekiel000 wrote: Yeah but if he has the game patched with a Spanish translation but doesn't understand Spanish, it's reasonable to assume he didn't do it.
OK, that sounds reasonable.
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

Nikioko wrote:
BeleG wrote:Yes, there's also a patch for spanish subtitles with the english talkie-version, but ScummVM can't give support to those patchings as they're not official (though they should work perfectly well).
Well, it works perfectly because the patch designer had an eyeon ScummVM compatibility. There are also aother patches for new German orthography and translation of the credit screens.
Nah, translating a SCUMM or SCI game, for example, is just as simple as extracting their textfiles and scripts and editing them with the proper tool (there are many for these particular engines). You don't have to touch any critical file but the scripts, and if you do it right and the game runs properly in DOSBox, then it should work right in ScummVM too, as it is a recreation of the game engine.

It's not the same with every game, as some of them have their text lines coded into other kind of files, or even the exe, so you have to use a hex editor and be very careful, but they are (fortunately) less common.

I'm making myself the translation to spanish of Police Quest I VGA right now, and I'm in touch with some people who have translated games actually working on ScummVM. And they were translated before any ScummVM support.