LucasArts wants YOUR opinion!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

plop
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:33 am

LucasArts wants YOUR opinion!

Post by plop » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:56 am

Vote for your favorite adventure game now! Please hurry, poll ends next week!
http://www.lucasarts.com

User avatar
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:16 am
Location: San Jose, California, USA

Post by dreammaster » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:45 am

Blasphemy! There's no selection for Sam & Max! :lol:

User avatar
Raziel
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:27 am
Location: a story that hasn't been written yet

Post by Raziel » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:03 am

CURSE of Monkey Island??? :shock:

Come on :x

User avatar
Adventureguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post by Adventureguy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:02 pm

Jeez, the oldest game in their Classics is Full Throttle... :roll:
What happened to Maniac Mansion, DOTT, S&M...?
On the LA-website you can only inform yourself about MM if you look into the "History"-page. Their "CLASSICS" begins just at 1995 with games like FT. Oldest adventuregame in the shop is MI3. Sad story, isn't it? :cry:
Last edited by Adventureguy on Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:25 pm
Location: Austria

Post by joachimeberhard » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:06 pm

Adventureguy wrote:Jeez, the oldest game in their Classics is Full Throttle... :roll:
What happened to Maniac Mansion, DOTT, S&M...?
On the LA-website you can only inform yourself about MM if you look into the "History"-page. Their "CLASSICS" begins just at 1995 with games like FT. Oldest game in the shop is MI3. Sad story, isn't it? :cry:
You're right!

I'd much rather give LucasArts themselves the money for all the games I buy, by buying new factory-made games.

For this poll, I chose Full Throttle, as it is the oldest game I can choose in this poll ;)

User avatar
Jimbob
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 pm
Location: Somewhere in the UK

Post by Jimbob » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:12 pm

joachimeberhard wrote: For this poll, I chose Full Throttle, as it is the oldest game I can choose in this poll ;)
Same here, it was a choice between FT or COMI.

Jimbob

User avatar
Adventureguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post by Adventureguy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Yep, I did that, too. I know the ScummVM project was (is still(?)) some problem for LucasArts. But instead of beeing grateful that their old games can be played on newer Systems, they wanted to kill off the Project :shock: ! You should think they might consider packing all of their 12 SCUMM-games in one pack for a reasonnable prize, say between 20$-50$, max. up to 100$. But I don't think they'll make THAT happen, anyway. Too bad for them, because they don't make any profit when someone sells the games at ebay. They must earn MUCH money with all the Star Wars games they sell for letting such an opportunity left out...

cappuchok
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:54 am

Post by cappuchok » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:40 pm

Adventureguy wrote:Yep, I did that, too. I know the ScummVM project was (is still(?)) some problem for LucasArts. But instead of beeing grateful that their old games can be played on newer Systems, they wanted to kill off the Project :shock: ! You should think they might consider packing all of their 12 SCUMM-games in one pack for a reasonnable prize, say between 20$-50$, max. up to 100$. But I don't think they'll make THAT happen, anyway. Too bad for them, because they don't make any profit when someone sells the games at ebay. They must earn MUCH money with all the Star Wars games they sell for letting such an opportunity left out...
Apparently they don't make ENOUGH money with their Star Wars lineup, or they would be able to develop more original titles and develop it all in-house. Above all, if they made enough money even most of the Star Wars titles might actually be worth-while. I'm happy with Petroglyph making the new Star Wars RTS and all (it looks awesome), but I can't help but feel that a developer house of LucasArts' history and (former) reputation should manage to develop all their stuff in-house, and keep up their good line of original adventures, and maybe do a few adventures set in Star Wars and Indiana Jones universes as well (but please, no cross-overs :) ).

As for them not selling their old adventures anymore, that's just... SAD! If I understand correctly they did once consider teaming up with ScummVM after initially threatening to take the project down, but it seems to have fallen through and the result seems to have been some kind of truce or stalemate that isn't good for any of the parties. One would think that with one of LucasArts' high-profile coders (Aaron Giles) also being a major contributor on the MAME project, LEC would be a little more friendly towards open-source projects. SCUMM v2.0 seems to have been his work as well (the Win32 version which drives the LucasArts Entertainment Pack titles).

One thing that would definitely make my day would be an official LucasArts compilation with all the LEC adventures playable in ScummVM bundled on a DVD or set of CDs, sold in LucasArts' store and by international resellers (European customers can't buy anything in LEC's online store, sadly). Not only would it mean I would finally be able to play all the classics prior to Secret of Monkey Island that I missed the first time around, it would also mean I could contribute to LucasArts making more adventures, and donate to ScummVM at the same time. As far as I can see, a win-win-win situation!

Ender
Retired
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:06 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Ender » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:28 pm

cappuchok wrote: One would think that with one of LucasArts' high-profile coders (Aaron Giles) also being a major contributor on the MAME project, LEC would be a little more friendly towards open-source projects. SCUMM v2.0 seems to have been his work as well (the Win32 version which drives the LucasArts Entertainment Pack titles).
Just to correct a slight misconception, since Aaron hasn't worked for LucasArts in some time and SCUMM 'v2.0' (which was merely a driver replacement, none of the engine was changed, not to make it any less cool ;) was done as contract work, not as an actual employee.

So theres really no relation at all to him working on MAME and LECs attitude :).

User avatar
Adventureguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post by Adventureguy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:16 pm

cappuchok wrote: Apparently they don't make ENOUGH money with their Star Wars lineup, or they would be able to develop more original titles and develop it all in-house. Above all, if they made enough money even most of the Star Wars titles might actually be worth-while. I'm happy with Petroglyph making the new Star Wars RTS and all (it looks awesome), but I can't help but feel that a developer house of LucasArts' history and (former) reputation should manage to develop all their stuff in-house, and keep up their good line of original adventures, and maybe do a few adventures set in Star Wars and Indiana Jones universes as well (but please, no cross-overs :) ).
Really? Not enough Money with SW :shock: ? Or do you mean it the way that LucasArts just don't get enough of money? Well, once upon a time in a country far, far ago, LucasArts wanted to publish S&M2. There were critics made praising the game as so awesomely good, LucasArts just cancelled it :| . Maybe at that time LucasArts had some money problems (if they ever had) so it seemed risky to produce this game. But cancel it when it's up to 80% finished!? They should have tried to sell it, at least.Oh well, doesn't matter since Telltale Games brings in the near future S&M Episodes to the adventurers.
cappuchok wrote: As for them not selling their old adventures anymore, that's just... SAD![...]
One thing that would definitely make my day would be an official LucasArts compilation with all the LEC adventures playable in ScummVM bundled on a DVD or set of CDs, sold in LucasArts' store and by international resellers (European customers can't buy anything in LEC's online store, sadly).
Yeah, that would be great AND (if they really need money fast) they should just do it. I bet there are millions(!!!) of adventuregamers wanting to buy those games. Also, ScummVM is gaining more popularity as time goes by, so more people want to play these games. Imho LucasArts should make such a DVD/such CDs available on the market, like, with all versions of all games 8) . With ScummVM as a free interpreter for those games, they wouldn't have to worry about reengineering the games for other systems like PS2 (since it's already supported 8) ). With that game, they could make new games with new ideas and don't have to rely only on Star Wars or Indiana Jones. The price for searching all the games of the past and rereleasing it will be nothing compared with the money gained by doing this. If you guys from LEC are reading this, just think about the money! Maybe that would be a great release for the 25th anniversary of LucasArts!

Jorpho
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:20 am

Post by Jorpho » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:22 am

So, did anyone here play RTX Red Rock after reading the scathing reviews?

ZPedro
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:56 pm
Location: France

Post by ZPedro » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:47 pm

What, no X-Wing?

Sorry for adventure games, but it's the LucasArts game I like most to pick up for a quick game when the mood strikes.

cappuchok
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:54 am

Post by cappuchok » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:15 pm

Adventureguy wrote:Really? Not enough Money with SW :shock: ? Or do you mean it the way that LucasArts just don't get enough of money?
What I meant was more along the lines of "had they really made enough money, they would also be able to produce original (not licensed) adventure games that might not sell as much but appeal to the oldtimer fans just for the sake of it". In other words, had they made enough money, they could afford to share some fun with the fans that remember the glory days of LucasArts adventures, and they would be able to develop more in-house to make sure everything is up to the traditionally high standards old-time LEC fans have come to expect. Some external developers are really doing a great job (Petroglyph, for example) but I'd really like to see more in-house productions from LucasArts again - if for nothing else then for the great in-jokes.

User avatar
MetaFox
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:44 am

Post by MetaFox » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:16 pm

cappuchok wrote:I'd really like to see more in-house productions from LucasArts again - if for nothing else then for the great in-jokes.
The problem with that is that most of the people from the golden age of LucasArts have left the company.

cappuchok
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:54 am

Post by cappuchok » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:18 am

MetaFox wrote:The problem with that is that most of the people from the golden age of LucasArts have left the company.
For a good reason, I presume. LucasArts really isn't half the company it used to be. I'm sure it was hard for the really creative people there (who brought us the classics) to see the company reputation going down the drain, so leaving would be one of the few sensible things to do unless they had actually gotten management to listen and not randomly cancel good games in development. I guess we're lucky to have companies like Telltale to pick up where LEC left off, but as they don't distribute through retailers I haven't as of yet been able to see how well they're doing, or support their efforts. :(

Post Reply