Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and ScummVM

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

And remember upscaling requires quite some processor power, so full landscape or almost full , so actually using some space for a virtual keyboard is not that too bad. Has not decided what to do in VGA games though, those will use the whole screen usually.
bojzi

Post by bojzi »

Thank you very much for doing this port, it's gonna be great once it's finished.

About the signing thing...
Did you know that they've already hacked the 5800? ^^
http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthread.php?t=329485
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Still not every body has not hacked their phones, and installation of ScummVM should not require hacking. Also hacks does not work on all S60v3 phones anyway.
bojzi

Post by bojzi »

Couldn't agree more... Just wanted to bring this to your attention. ^^
Thraktor

Post by Thraktor »

Anotherguest wrote:And remember upscaling requires quite some processor power, so full landscape or almost full , so actually using some space for a virtual keyboard is not that too bad. Has not decided what to do in VGA games though, those will use the whole screen usually.
You don't really need to do 'upscaling' (the tricky variety, at least) with quite a lot of the Lucasarts games. Most of them have a main area of about 320x170 pixels, with commands/inventory underneath. Simply quadruple the size of this area (ie 1 pixel => 4 pixels, no fancy filters or anything) and you'll get 640x340, or thereabouts, which fits nicely on the 5800's screen. This shouldn't be too taxing on the processor, and you could use a little zoom button in the corner of the screen to toggle between this and a zoomed-out view with keyboard and everything.

This would work for pretty much all of Lucasarts' SCUMM games bar Sam & Max, Full Throttle and COMI, and it'd make good use of the 5800's nice widescreen display.
svekl

Post by svekl »

Thraktor wrote:
Anotherguest wrote:And remember upscaling requires quite some processor power, so full landscape or almost full , so actually using some space for a virtual keyboard is not that too bad. Has not decided what to do in VGA games though, those will use the whole screen usually.
You don't really need to do 'upscaling' (the tricky variety, at least) with quite a lot of the Lucasarts games. Most of them have a main area of about 320x170 pixels, with commands/inventory underneath. Simply quadruple the size of this area (ie 1 pixel => 4 pixels, no fancy filters or anything) and you'll get 640x340, or thereabouts, which fits nicely on the 5800's screen. This shouldn't be too taxing on the processor, and you could use a little zoom button in the corner of the screen to toggle between this and a zoomed-out view with keyboard and everything.

This would work for pretty much all of Lucasarts' SCUMM games bar Sam & Max, Full Throttle and COMI, and it'd make good use of the 5800's nice widescreen display.
Mmm...nice...=)
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Actually depending on the game, the actions on screen are very important, and some display items also on screen, which grow the more you pickup, so I think most of the 320x200 or 320x240 area is actually used, you can't just look at the graphics area.

Also all upscaling is very slow, specially on the 5800. The 5800 has the same core as the 6120 classic, but lots more pixels, + other problems in its hw design, which make it slow and reducing the possible framerate of the device.

So I will always upscale the whole image, and to a certain degree.
ianpf

Post by ianpf »

out of interest it's not ridiculous to require people to sign the app is it?

Personally I have a OPDA certificate for signing, but given what little you're trying to do wouldn't the Symbian Signed (avaliable easily to anyone) be enough?

Thanks for the time you're spending on it by the way :D

ScummVM is awesome.
boppyman

Post by boppyman »

I have been using ScummVM to play Escape from Monkey Island and it runs brilliantly on the 5800

I tried Broken Sword and i have comes across a few problems though

As you can see from the pic is runs awesome in both landscape and portrait but the problem in both is a lack of virtual keyboard meaning you can access any menus to save, load, exit ect ect. In portrait the keyboard shows but its not clickable for some reason.

Oh and the was another problem with the game crashing every 5 minutes but that was solved by turning off auto save

Hope this helps someone :)
Lexa86

Post by Lexa86 »

Is there already scummvm on nokia 5800? I cant see it on downloads or am I just blind? :shock:
boppyman

Post by boppyman »

Its the S60 V3 version and it works fine on the 5200 ;)
Lexa86

Doesnt work

Post by Lexa86 »

Well at least when im playing monkey island...
Nitrogen87

Post by Nitrogen87 »

Works great on my Nokia 5800 XM. I had no crashes so far. The only problem is that there are no virtual keys if I play some games eg. "Monkey Island III".

Performance, sound and graphics are great compared to DosBox!

See more screens posted on my blog:
http://stefanhermann.com/?p=59
Last edited by Nitrogen87 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sranje007

Post by sranje007 »

day of tentacle works great for me too,both touch and virtual keyboard. but mi3: i can use touch input to select game difficulty at the begenning,but after intro and credits, on the first scene on the ship guybrush standed up and then game blocks(no touch ,nor virtual keyboard possible),only solution is red key,as some user mentioned few posts before.
bloodycircus

Post by bloodycircus »

@sranje007

the problem that monkey island freezes like you said, is the autosave... just turn it off, it should help!

but the leak of a virtual keyboard is the biggest problem so far ^^