Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
User avatar
MeddlingMonk
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:06 pm

Post by MeddlingMonk »

So...what is the specified directory and is it the same one you put DW1 into?

I know, a potentially insulting question but but it has to be asked. I'm assuming you have successfully been using ScummVM with other games but the message you're getting suggests to me one of two things: first is that you are choosing the right directory but it doesn't have all the needed files, or one or more is corrupted; and the second is that maybe you're selecting the higher-level folder by accident (something I've caught myself doing a couple of times).
Cyphox
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Cyphox »

i'm a little bit confused. i thought every supported game of the actual daily builds will be listed in the compatibility list http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php

Discworld I+II works (again) in the 0.14svn builds, but the games are not listed ?!?
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

Cyphox wrote:i'm a little bit confused. i thought every supported game of the actual daily builds will be listed in the compatibility list http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php

Discworld I+II works (again) in the 0.14svn builds, but the games are not listed ?!?
That's because they're not officially supported yet, until we sort out Discworld's freeware status
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

Is the Daily Build supporting the enhanced music for DW1 now?
KuroShiro
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Miyazaki, Japan

Post by KuroShiro »

Nikioko wrote:Is the Daily Build supporting the enhanced music for DW1 now?
Yes.
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

KuroShiro wrote:
Nikioko wrote:Is the Daily Build supporting the enhanced music for DW1 now?
Yes.
Kewl. Then I know what to do this afternoon.

Do I have to rename the oggs in a certain way?
Tzimbar
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Post by Tzimbar »

MeddlingMonk wrote:So...what is the specified directory and is it the same one you put DW1 into?

I know, a potentially insulting question but but it has to be asked. I'm assuming you have successfully been using ScummVM with other games but the message you're getting suggests to me one of two things: first is that you are choosing the right directory but it doesn't have all the needed files, or one or more is corrupted; and the second is that maybe you're selecting the higher-level folder by accident (something I've caught myself doing a couple of times).
I have scummVM working with other titles (Monkey Island 1-3), but it does not seem to work with Discworld 1, even if I select the directory which directly contains the files of the game.
The files are not damaged, as I can run the game (very badly, especially as far as audio and animations are concerned) under DOSbox :(
Do you use a particular version of scummVM, or did you test Discworld 1 on the latest svn build?
User avatar
ezekiel000
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Surrey, England

Post by ezekiel000 »

Tzimbar wrote:I have scummVM working with other titles (Monkey Island 1-3), but it does not seem to work with Discworld 1, even if I select the directory which directly contains the files of the game.
The files are not damaged, as I can run the game (very badly, especially as far as audio and animations are concerned) under DOSbox :(
Do you use a particular version of scummVM, or did you test Discworld 1 on the latest svn build?
Discworld isn't supported officially at the moment but it is in the daily builds:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php#SVN
Nikioko wrote:
KuroShiro wrote:
Nikioko wrote:Is the Daily Build supporting the enhanced music for DW1 now?
Yes.
Kewl. Then I know what to do this afternoon.

Do I have to rename the oggs in a certain way?
I didn't think that the enhanced soundtrack had been released yet.
Tzimbar
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Post by Tzimbar »

ezekiel000 wrote: Discworld isn't supported officially at the moment but it is in the daily builds:
http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php#SVN
My problem lays in the fact that I am using a daily build :?
Maybe some builds are "better" than others, supporting the execution of Discworld 1, while others don't? If so, can you point me to one of these "better" versions?

Thanks :)
User avatar
ezekiel000
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Surrey, England

Post by ezekiel000 »

Ah right sorry, well I know the Ubuntu 64bit deb supports DW1 & 2 and RtZ which is why I use it. I can't help you with the others as I only run Linux.
Tzimbar
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Post by Tzimbar »

ezekiel000 wrote:Ah right sorry, well I know the Ubuntu 64bit deb supports DW1 & 2 and RtZ which is why I use it. I can't help you with the others as I only run Linux.
Thanks :)
I will try the linux version, then :wink:
I am even disposed to install a 64bit ubuntu to see if the game works (I have a Dual Core processor, but 32bit OSes :P)
Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

ezekiel000 wrote:
Nikioko wrote:
KuroShiro wrote: Yes.
Kewl. Then I know what to do this afternoon.

Do I have to rename the oggs in a certain way?
I didn't think that the enhanced soundtrack had been released yet.
http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?p=1139

That tells me something different. ;-)
User avatar
criezy
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 790
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am
Location: West Sussex, UK

Post by criezy »

Nikioko wrote:http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?p=1139

That tells me something different. ;-)
Yes but these tracks are not correct. According to DrMcCoy:
DrMcCoy wrote:Unfortunately, at least for the .SCN-version of the game, there are lots of missing tracks and their order is scrambled.
And here is the answer from the author of these tracks:
glidem wrote:Just to let you all know that I have completed version 2 of the soundtrack with the few missing tracks there were and sorted out the order to work with Discworld.
[...]
Once Discworld is in a stage of completion that the ScummVM developers are happy with and we know that my tracks are working as they should within the game, I will talk with them and arrange on how we are going to share with the public
In other words, version 2 of the tracks is not yet available to the public, and will be made so once Discworld is officially supported by ScummVM.

All this can be read in that thread
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

The current status of the DW enhanced music was published already:
http://www.scummvm.org/?shownews=20090114.xml
and a relevant news item in James Woodcock's site:
http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?p=1476
Tzimbar
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Post by Tzimbar »

Tzimbar wrote: Thanks :)
I will try the linux version, then :wink:
I am even disposed to install a 64bit ubuntu to see if the game works (I have a Dual Core processor, but 32bit OSes :P)
It works! The interesting thing is that the one to work is the "backup" version which I got from a site some time ago, and not the game installed (via DOSbox, if I remember correctly) from the image of the original CD.. :?
But it works perfectly, so I quit complaining :D
Post Reply