You are standing in a open field, west of a white house...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

You are standing in a open field, west of a white house...

Post by md5 »

As you open the mailbox behind the white house, a wizard tells you that you're the lucky sweepstakes winner, who can now play several great game titles by Activision under ScummVM!

We welcome the addition of the MADE engine by Activision. Four shiny new games are now supported: The infamous Return to Zork, Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2, The Manhole and Rodney's Funscreen

All you need to have is a copy of one of the aforementioned Activision games, and a new daily build of ScummVM.

If you find any bugs, you're welcome to report them to our bug tracker. Screenshots are also needed, which you can submit following our Screenshot submission guidelines.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

I'm definately digging up the Zork CD this week!
Last edited by bobdevis on Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

Hah! Cool.

What's next - Infocom games?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tinhead Ned wrote: What's next - Infocom games?
The Infocom text adventures should already be pretty well supported by other interpreters. (There even was one for Emacs, though I don't know if it's still maintained.)

But maybe you were thinking about their other games? Fooblitzky, the InfoComics, Quarterstaff, Cornerstone (no, no, not that one!), etc.
rented mule

Re: You are standing in a open field, west of a white house.

Post by rented mule »

md5 wrote: All you need to have is a copy of one of the aforementioned Activision games, and a new daily build of ScummVM.
...and Mac OS X subversions build that are available a little more frequently than once every century.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

rented mule wrote:
md5 wrote: All you need to have is a copy of one of the aforementioned Activision games, and a new daily build of ScummVM.
...and Mac OS X subversions build that are available a little more frequently than once every century.
Then why don't YOU take on the responsibility of compiling that subversion build every week?
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

Jonatan wrote:
rented mule wrote:
Then why don't YOU take on the responsibility of compiling that subversion build every week?
Can I? I was wondering when someone would offer me this task. Because I think Mac OS X users deserve better. I'll start compiling them every day.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Yes. This is an open source project.

Go to #scummvm on freenode and talk to sev or fingolfin.
gamin

Post by gamin »

md5 for making Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2 French detected (added it myself in latest trunk before submitting. detection ok and working fine) :

"lgop2.dat" "f9e974087af7cf4b7ec2d8dc45d01e0c", 295366

also, Return to Zork (detected by latest SVN, but french isn't available. however, the game is running fine) :

"rtzcd.dat" "bde8251a8e34e87c54e3f93147d56c9e" 523776
"rtzcd.red" "946997d8b0aa6cb4e848bad02a1fc3d2" 354614

if I'm right, this is v1.2 dated 6/27/95
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Tinhead Ned wrote: What's next - Infocom games?
The Infocom text adventures should already be pretty well supported by other interpreters. (There even was one for Emacs, though I don't know if it's still maintained.)

But maybe you were thinking about their other games? Fooblitzky, the InfoComics, Quarterstaff, Cornerstone (no, no, not that one!), etc.
and that would be a reason not to include it into scummvm? if it's easy to add to scummvm (if some developer is willing ofcourse) then it shouldn't be a reason for it not to include it.. one engine to rule them all.. hehe..
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

SuperDre wrote: and that would be a reason not to include it into scummvm? if it's easy to add to scummvm (if some developer is willing ofcourse) then it shouldn't be a reason for it not to include it.. one engine to rule them all.. hehe..
Maybe, but for text adventures I'd rather use an interpreter that supports good font rendering, interacts well with the desktop environment's clipboard to allow copying/pasting text, etc. than one with the look-and-feel of the ScummVM debug console.
Tinhead Ned

Post by Tinhead Ned »

You know, that's a good point. When I play Zork I want it to look like it's 1981...If ScummVM can't reproduce it faithfully, then it might as well not It's a pity Vista won't let me fullscreen the WinFrotz interpreter (or anything else command-prompty) I use.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

I believe pretty much all the classic text adventures are now playable in a browser with the Java plugin.
80's feeling or not, it seems like the best approach to text-only stuff for maximum platform independency.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Tinhead Ned wrote:You know, that's a good point. When I play Zork I want it to look like it's 1981...
The look would depend a lot on which operating system you ran the game on. For instance, the Macintosh versions of the early games could use a proportional font, instead of a mono-spaced one. There was an opcode to switch to a mono-spaced font for text that needed it. Suspended used this for monitor readouts, for instance. (Later versions of the Z-machine allowed for fancier screen effects. Maybe that's why the ability to switch font was dropped, at least from the Mac version of those games.)

If I read the Infocom Fact Sheet correctly, in 1981 it would have been released on the PDP-11, the TRS-80 and the Apple II. This is supposedly how it looked on the Apple II, and I can't say I care much for that look myself. (I wouldn't want a faithful reproduction of the C64 version either. Playing Infocom games on a C64 was slow.)

If you mean how it looked in DOS, I suppose running DOSBox in fullscreen mode would be a pretty faithful reproduction. Personally though, I'd prefer something that's easier on the eyes.
Hansi

Post by Hansi »

rented mule wrote:
Here is a OSX build until RM sets up a script to do it daily (I could as well, since I've already scripted it but only have a laptop atm).

http://hansr.net/temp/ScummVM-snapshot-20090308.dmg